Talking Or Writing To Reps / Sens

SparklyBuds

My question is for anyone, especially if you met with a Senator or Rep

When you talk, write or call Sens & Reps, how much do you share about your particular diagnosis / or diagnos(es)?? I haven't been telling them specifics, just general like " I'm middle aged, disabled, and suffer from several chronic medical conditions."

Well the comments of, whoever, Rick Jones was it? About how people at the rally don't look sick? And Bill Schuette's crap about how most of us don't identify a severe medical condition when we get our Dr. Recommendation. I'd really like to reply specifically to those attacks. I have, probably 3 qualifying conditions, but I got my card for "chronic pain from herniated disk."

So does it help to give these people more detailed medical info?

My question is for anyone, especially if you met with a Senator or Rep

When you talk, write or call Sens & Reps, how much do you share about your particular diagnosis / or diagnos(es)?? I haven't been telling them specifics, just general like " I'm middle aged, disabled, and suffer from several chronic medical conditions."

Well the comments of, whoever, Rick Jones was it? About how people at the rally don't look sick? And Bill Schuette's crap about how most of us don't identify a severe medical condition when we get our Dr. Recommendation. I'd really like to reply specifically to those attacks. I have, probably 3 qualifying conditions, but I got my card for "chronic pain from herniated disk."

So does it help to give these people more detailed medical info?

I tell Scuettes secretaries about my qualifying condition, but its my anger management they should be most concerned about.

It depends on what you want out of the letter or meeting and if the personal info furthers that cause or not.

The whole 'you don't look very disabled' discussion is pretty infuriating. When the average person gets ready to go out of the house, they typically try to make themselves look presentable for the occasion. They don't try to accentuate any physical frailties. In fact, most disabled people do their best to look as normal as possible.

I probably don't "look sick" unless you see me limping around with the cane.... back pain with herniated disk. So I propped myself up with the cane at the rally. My PAC says I don't look my age. I have epilepsy - that doesn't show up on a visual inspection unless I happen to have a seizure while someone's watching.

Just get so mad when Schuette, Jones etc talk about how we "look fine". It's so prejudiced. Wish they could walk in our shoes for a day! Just wondering if writing a (brief) letter about my conditions & how medical Cannabis helps, would help to open any minds or change any hearts or if I'm just being overly sensitive to their criticism.

These are excellent questions. This is very important. I think it'd be good to describe the condition and explain how Cannabis helps.

They need to understand the specifics of it, they don't realize what it's like to be disabled and have to hide it. I know exactly what that's like. People stare at someone with an obvious disability; like with me, and many even avoid me, they're uncomfortable around me, I try to look and act normal. I know this all my life. People don't see what's inside, all they see is what they THINK they see, yet they can't see the person is human first, disabled second. It's the same but in reverse for the hidden disability, they THINK they see a healthy person, with no consideration of what could be raging on inside them.

Especially where politicians are concerned, they have a mindset that's very narrow. Many people are this way, for example, there's more than one condition of vision loss, but most people think, "you're either blind or not blind," with nothing in between. They don't understand there's another category called "partially blind," among other terms; some with vision loss say they're partially sighted, have "low vision," or are "visually impaired". People are just are uneducated, they need to be informed. They couldn't really understand unless they experience it themselves. If they know someone who's affected by a disability, it can help them better understand.

If I were able to, I'd talk with those reps, bring some kind of proof of my condition, then sit down with them, face to face, eyeball to eyeball, and explain my situation. They need this information. Perhaps it'll soften someone's heart. If there are pictures of someone before they started using Cannabis for their illness, that would show an improvement that could be seen in an "after" picture, that might help, too. If a condition is invisible, a copy of the records, documenting the condition before and after, would be good to have if you can obtain one. We have the right to have copies of our records, without being charged for that service.

If at all possible, a face to face meeting is the best. If I weren't so tired, I would've tried to find my rep after the rally. IF there's another one, I'm coming in early so I can be sure to meet with him, and I will be well rested.

Sincerely, Sb

Archived