A Letter From Dan Benishek

From: Representative Dan Benishek <MI01DBIMA@mail.house.gov>

Date: September 19, 2011 9:56:30 AM EDT

To: michigancertification@gmail.com [alternativesolutionsplus.com]

Subject: Responding to your message

September 19, 2011

Dear Alternative Solutions Plus:

Thank you for making the effort to contact me regarding marijuana regulation. As your elected representative, I appreciate the opportunity to learn your opinion on this matter.

As you may know, H.R. 2306, the "Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011" was introduced with the stated intent to limit the application of federal laws to the distribution and consumption of marijuana. I realize that narcotic control policy is a very broad and complex issue. While I believe it is important that the U.S. does everything in its power to keep narcotics from harming our society, I believe it makes little sense to continue elements of this campaign that have failed to deliver results. Please know that I will continue to study this issue carefully with your views in mind.

I am in favor of using marijuana for medical purposes. As you may know, the "States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act" was introduced in the House. If enacted, this bill would prohibit any provision of the "Controlled Substances Act" from restricting state laws legalizing the use of medical marijuana. Additionally, this measure would provide for the reclassification of marijuana, recognizing the plant's accepted medical use. As a general surgeon, I am aware of the therapeutic benefits marijuana can provide to individuals suffering from a serious illness or chronic pain. In my opinion, state laws can regulate the use of marijuana for medical purposes, while ensuring that it is not used illegally. The Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution expresses the principle of federalism: powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution are reserved, respectively, to the states or the people. In my judgment, the federal government is prohibited from interfering with state health laws, which properly reflect the will of citizens of the various states.

Although I do not serve on the House Committee on the Judiciary, which has jurisdiction over narcotics policy, should any legislation come to the floor of the House for a vote regarding drug enforcement, I will certainly keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion — I value hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dan Benishek M. D.

Member of Congress

P.S. I would also like to invite you to visit my website, www.benishek.house.gov, for further information. If you have not already done so, please submit your email address so that my office may keep you informed on issues in Congress.

Wow, this guy is my Congressman. I am pleasantly surprised by his response.

:goodjob:

Write him, email him, etc. [never hurts to be heard]

Dan Benishek R-1

514 Cannon HOB

Washington, D.C. 20515

www.house.gov/benishek/

Previous Occupation: Medical Doctor

Education: B.S. U of M, M.D. Wayne State University

Term: 1st

Staff: Lawrence Purpuro

Committees: Natural Resources, Veterans Affair

:sword:

I've written to him, though I don't think he's my rep, but he's been gracious to reply, some of the letter that was shared here looks like parts of letters I've gotten from him. Recently I wrote him about the wasted money on the drug war, he agrees parts of that war are ineffective; I thanked him for his reply and his views. Please write him again and thank him for taking time to write to you. Keep the communication going, and find out about that bill he mentioned, I don't recall anything about it, though I know there's a resolution on the dem's site for patients and caregivers. Thank him for mentioning the bill. too.

Sb

Even if he personally believes in the medicinal uses of cannabis, he's not on the committee dealing with the relevant legislation, and he's a party follower. I've attended his visits at the Cheboygan Public Library and he is way out of touch with the poor folks in this county.

Medical marijuana supporters may have an even better friend in his democratic opponent, Gary McDowell. He just announced he is running against Benishek in 2012. I would like to hear his position before I support anything republican in 2012.

Even if he personally believes in the medicinal uses of cannabis, he's not on the committee dealing with the relevant legislation, and he's a party follower. I've attended his visits at the Cheboygan Public Library and he is way out of touch with the poor folks in this county.

Medical marijuana supporters may have an even better friend in his democratic opponent, Gary McDowell. He just announced he is running against Benishek in 2012. I would like to hear his position before I support anything republican in 2012.

Thank you Brad, be sure to post and direct us toward anything Gary McDowell has to offer. Also let us know if he has a website up and running yet so we can investigate and read all we can about him. Running against an incumbant is tough, and I will always support whoever represents the best interest of the society and the people.

Archived