#1 Zerocool

Zerocool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Locationupper michigan

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

THURSDAY, Nov. 10 (HealthDay News) -- Heavy methamphetamine use may increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, according to a new study.

It also confirmed previous research showing a possible link between marijuana dependence and schizophrenia.

Methamphetamine and other amphetamine-type stimulants are the second most common type of illicit drug used worldwide.

In this study, researchers at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in Toronto analyzed the records of patients who were admitted to California hospitals between 1990 and 2000 with a diagnosis of dependence or abuse for methamphetamine, marijuana, alcohol, cocaine or opioids.

People who were hospitalized for meth dependence and who had never been diagnosed with schizophrenia or psychotic symptoms at the start of the study had a roughly 1.5- to three-fold higher risk of later being diagnosed with schizophrenia than patients who used cocaine, alcohol or opioid drugs, study leader Dr. Russ Callaghan said in a CAMH news release.

The researchers also found that the increased risk of schizophrenia in methamphetamine users was similar to that of heavy users of marijuana.

The study was published online Nov. 8 in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

It's not clear how methamphetamine and marijuana may increase the risk of developing schizophrenia.

"Perhaps repeated use of methamphetamine and cannabis in some susceptible individuals can trigger latent schizophrenia by sensitizing the brain to dopamine, a brain chemical thought to be associated with psychosis," Dr. Stephen Kish, senior scientist and head of CAMH's Human Brain Laboratory, said in the news release.

"We hope that understanding the nature of the drug addiction-schizophrenia relationship will help in developing better therapies for both conditions," Callaghan said.

More information

The U.S. National Institute of Mental Health has more about schizophrenia.
  • immamymoulfub likes this

#2 Zombiefied

Zombiefied

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Or that the people with undiagnosed cases of schizophrenia tend to use Cannabis, Tobacco, Alcohol, Meth, Coke, and whatever to help deal with having a schizophrenic episode....

#3 andreal

andreal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Or that the people with undiagnosed cases of schizophrenia tend to use Cannabis, Tobacco, Alcohol, Meth, Coke, and whatever to help deal with having a schizophrenic episode....

Agreed. So whatever happened to non-enduced revelations?

#4 cristinew

cristinew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

No wonder this board is so messed up,.

#5 solabeirtan

solabeirtan

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

These are only the symptoms of the real problem. The diagnosis is sensory overload due to over-zealous Capitalistic, Corporatist, Economic socialization experiment that he was a victim of. As well as lack of proper medical care... only incarceration or self medication.

#6 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,093 posts
  • LocationDexter

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Good grief!!

Meth causes people to go nuts .. So marijuana must do the same thing.

Drunks go nuts also.

Edited by peanutbutter, 09 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#7 solabeirtan

solabeirtan

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

But you gotta have the good stuff if you really wanna rock n roll.

#8 Sledge

Sledge

Unadvanced Member

• Forum Leaders
  • 5,210 posts
  • LocationIn a matchbox

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

:jig: :thumbsu:

#9 t-pain

t-pain

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

delicious correlation = causation study, how come you keep popping up?

#10 solabeirtan

solabeirtan

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

delicious correlation = causation study, how come you keep popping up?

Just a side effect of my caregiver oath* and proper nutrition.

* I will try to be Kind, courteus, compassionate, connoisseur of fine herbs, cheerful, thrifty, brave, helpful, ...

Edited by solabeirtan, 10 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#11 CaveatLector

CaveatLector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Good grief!!

Meth causes people to go nuts .. So marijuana must do the same thing.

Drunks go nuts also.

Recognizing that marijuana could have some ill effects is not a bad thing. If you go off half-cocked and pretend that there is nothing negative about it then you are not very likely to win support. It makes people wary.

Take it for what it's worth and move on. That hamburger you ate last night has negative consequences for your health as well but McDonalds seems to be doing okay. The fact is that most drugs have some side effects. The question becomes whether there are better alternatives. In the case of marijuana the cost-benefit analysis (cost being negative side effects) tips strongly in favor of its use. The cost-benefit analysis of hamburger, well, not so much. Yet people still consume hamburger daily.

The bottom line is that you need not prove that marijuana is 100% free of negative side-effects, only that it is vastly better than some other medications.

#12 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,093 posts
  • LocationDexter

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Recognizing that marijuana could have some ill effects is not a bad thing. If you go off half-cocked and pretend that there is nothing negative about it then you are not very likely to win support. It makes people wary.

I object strongly to "scientific" studies that are biased in their design.

Cannabis doesn't look bad enough by itself. So they lump cannabis use with meth use. Look at the total problems and then blame it on the cannabis.

I've seen these "trash marijuana" studies do that several times.

Question for you CL:

Is there ANY topic I'm allowed to talk about?

Edited by peanutbutter, 10 December 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#13 CaveatLector

CaveatLector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I object strongly to "scientific" studies that are biased in their design.

No offense but no you don't. I've seen you cite studies based on very biased design and I've pointed it out to you.

Question for you CL:

Is there ANY topic I'm allowed to talk about?

Or flipping that question on it's end it would read, "Can't I just say what I want without you pointing out obvious errors?"

I'll make a deal with you, If there is a topic you are posting about and you would rather no one point out issues, flaws, etc., then just put an endnote on it that I am not allowed to comment and I will PROMISE to stay out of it. Sound good old boy?

Lastly, what I posted was not contrary to your post. It was a logical and common sense attitude to have in regard to this type of thing. We know that aspirin has serious side effects for some. I have heard it said that if aspirin was developed today it wouldn't get FDA approval. But people accept it anyway because it does good for most. That's the attitude I am conveying. We don't need to prove that mm has zero side effects. We only need prove that the side effects are 1) less than alternative meds or 2) relatively minor when compared to benefit received.

You can bang the, "it can't be true" drum all you want. My drum is the more reasonable way to win people over.

#14 Hawkind

Hawkind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

This video explains it all.....

#15 Bisharoo

Bisharoo

Audio/Visual Expansionist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationSomewhere out there, between dimensions...

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

#16 Hawkind

Hawkind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

That is awesome ^^^^ I heard the shitter was full!

Edited by Hawkind, 10 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#17 CaveatLector

CaveatLector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

That is awesome ^^^^

What is it? Looks like a scene form a movie? I'm not familiar with it so I don't know how awesome it is--unless by awesome you were referring to that 1963 convertible Lincoln. That IS awesome.

#18 michaelscott

michaelscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Looks like lampoons christmas vacation, dumping his trailers waste in the sewers. Randy quaid quite the nutcase from what I hear.

#19 mrd

mrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm going with Cl on this one. I have read studies that determined that mj that was high in cbd was beneficial for those afflicted with bipolar disorder and that high thc mj was deleterious for those afflicted with schizophrenia. I also have a relative who is adversely affected in the extreme if he spokes mj. I do agree that lumping meth and mj together is questionable since the article did not really state anything that might be construed as causative.

#20 HEMP4LIFE

HEMP4LIFE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

"Perhaps repeated use of methamphetamine and cannabis in some susceptible individuals can trigger latent schizophrenia by sensitizing the brain to dopamine, a brain chemical thought to be associated with psychosis," Dr. Stephen Kish, senior scientist and head of CAMH's Human Brain Laboratory, said in the news release.

what a fuking joke but i guss people really buy the idea that pot causes psycosis some people have a chemical imbalance and mmj may connect a few areas in the brain which causes psycosis to appear but so dose foods stress and conventional meds.
its organic from god people if it dosent work for you then stop useing it just like if a food makes you sick dont eat that food anymore.
pray for discovery and do a healthy choice for you and get off the bandwagon about pot. go brain wash somebody else who buys lies and old theorys.
how dare anybody compare the devil to god on the same page, somebody really needs help.

Edited by HEMP4LIFE, 16 December 2012 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users