68 replies to this topic

#1 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:42 AM

Some weird maggot type thing appeared on a plant in my closet a few weeks ago. It eats the young leaves of the plant and keeps them from growing. Particularly the tips, which gives them a characteristic shape that doesn't look right at all. It looks like there's little orange specks all over the infested leaves, and they feel very resinous. I have tried spraynig with 1/4tsp rosemary oil with a squirt of soap in a gallon of water, and the same with peppermint, a mixture of rosemary and peppermint, and now cinnamon. I even dried dunking all the plants completely in a tub of rosemary oil and soap. The best result I've had is the "maggots" being suppressed for a few days at most. They keep coming back and I have clones I took from them to replace them (switching to hydro, they're soil and infested anyway). But I'm worried they're going to start suffreing from the same thing, and I feel like dunking isn't going to help.

WHAT DO i do?! I don't even know what this pest is so I can't possibly fight it. The only thing I havent tried is throwing diatomaceous earth all over them, but I'm not sure that could give coverage as good as spraying a liquid. GAH!

#2 The Digital Nomad

The Digital Nomad

Patient, Grower, Activist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationMacomb and Oakland Counties

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

neem oil can be fed to the plant to create systemic protection, most bugs do not like neem oil. Feed the plant 4ml of neem oil per gallon every time you water for about two weeks.

If you have no improvement in 7 - 10 days, start over with new plants, new soil, new pots.

DN

#3 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

I didn't realize how good this old camera is... you can see these things better than I can with the naked eye. They're clearly visible here.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I am so burnt out by fighting these pests. I feel like I'm playing a really sh1tty video game where each level is harder - first fungus gnats, then spider mites, then root aphids, and now the Boss Guy who seems to be totally invincible. This is the last thing I need as I just found out I have shingles which at least explains the crazy headaches I've had in the past and why my side has felt like it was on fire for the last few weeks. Sure wish I had health insurance. But at least I have this. Someone, please help me keep these alive!! :( :( :(

#4 The Digital Nomad

The Digital Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

Ah darn - I have never seen anything like this (something you never want to hear a doctor or grower say!)

The plant damage could be from your sprays.

I still haven't seen your pest - but I am assuming its nemocytes - I have seen tiny clear looking maggots, attacking the roots and stem of a new clone. These maggots are almost transparent.

Shingles - you need medicine for that, it can get worst. The stress is not going to help it. You need antivirals, pain meds, and cortosteroids. Right now, over the counter creams with Capsaicin could help. If your skin is broken, that cream is going to burn!

A friend with clones can help you quickly get re-started with new plants. It might just be easier to say 'fuc* 'em' and start over.

DN

#5 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

I wish there was something I could do about th eshingles, but alas, I can barely afford to eat anymore after changes to the food stamp program, and unless I can get charity health care somehow, it's just not going to be able to happen. I have a lot of other health issues that have been ignored for far too long. :( Can't believe my luck - who on earth gets shingles in their 20s?

Very apprceiative of the offer of clones :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: , I've been worried that if these died, that would be it. The plant damage appeared long before the sprays btw - i saw the damage but didn't look closely, I just blamed the root aphids, until the infestation got so bad it started to spread. I swabbed everything with rubbing alcohol just now, including a clone I just planted... if that fails, then yeah, I guess f&ck it would be the wise thing to do, especially considering the shingles.

Edited by purklize, 14 November 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#6 The Digital Nomad

The Digital Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

Are you local to the MOCC? Macomb Oakland CC has meetings at 12 mile and groesbeck - coming up this week.

DN

#7 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

Unfortunately I'm in Ann Arbor and don't have a vehicle (not even a bicycle now, it got stolen :growl: ) so I don't think it'd be possible for me to make it there. Thanks for the offer though!

#8 mike44

mike44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationUpper Mid Michigan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

Ah darn - I have never seen anything like this (something you never want to hear a doctor or grower say!)

The plant damage could be from your sprays.

I still haven't seen your pest - but I am assuming its nemocytes - I have seen tiny clear looking maggots, attacking the roots and stem of a new clone. These maggots are almost transparent.

Shingles - you need medicine for that, it can get worst. The stress is not going to help it. You need antivirals, pain meds, and cortosteroids. Right now, over the counter creams with Capsaicin could help. If your skin is broken, that cream is going to burn!

A friend with clones can help you quickly get re-started with new plants. It might just be easier to say 'fuc* 'em' and start over.

DN

If you click on the photos and enlarge them, you can see the ugly Bass-Turds. I don't know what they are, but there are alot of them. If these are your mother plants, you should be able to use something a little stronger on them if you won't be smoking the meds from these plants. They do look like maggots, I'm sure they can be killed with something that is safe. I wish I new what they were so I could suggest what to use.

Edited by mike44, 14 November 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#9 Christopia

Christopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

worms, sounds like you.
Few entries down, corn worms?...

This one's even better, end product (full grown) video

#10 Medcnman

Medcnman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Unfortunately I'm in Ann Arbor and don't have a vehicle (not even a bicycle now, it got stolen :growl: ) so I don't think it'd be possible for me to make it there. Thanks for the offer though!

If you can make it out to Pinckney, we have a free (yes, Absolutely free!!!) clinic out here called Faith Medical. Shingles are no joke!! Do what you can to get there and get yourself checked out. Pinckney is only 20 minutes from Ann Arbor. The clinic will give you free scripts for your shingles. This can be resolved within 2 weeks if treated. They are good people with hearts of gold. If you look up Faith Medical in Pinckney and call them, they may also be able to arrange transportation for you. We can clone our ladies but we cant clone you my friend. Your health is priority one. We can get you more ladies. Be well, Medcnman.

#11 Purplehaze

Purplehaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

Feel your pain, never delt with worms, but I would nuke them asap.

Get one and take it to the store with you and get some spray to cover the plants.

#12 mrd

mrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

If the little monsters are soil based than dicotomus earth spread over the top of the soil. might help. i would also spray them with pyrethins to get the ones on the leaves.

Shingles my wife had em. Your'll live but it will be painful. Take the advice about that free clinic.

#13 ProPlayer420

ProPlayer420

Compassion Club Leader

• +CC-Macomb
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

Some weird maggot type thing appeared on a plant in my closet a few weeks ago. It eats the young leaves of the plant and keeps them from growing. Particularly the tips, which gives them a characteristic shape that doesn't look right at all. It looks like there's little orange specks all over the infested leaves, and they feel very resinous. I have tried spraynig with 1/4tsp rosemary oil with a squirt of soap in a gallon of water, and the same with peppermint, a mixture of rosemary and peppermint, and now cinnamon. I even dried dunking all the plants completely in a tub of rosemary oil and soap. The best result I've had is the "maggots" being suppressed for a few days at most. They keep coming back and I have clones I took from them to replace them (switching to hydro, they're soil and infested anyway). But I'm worried they're going to start suffreing from the same thing, and I feel like dunking isn't going to help.

WHAT DO i do?! I don't even know what this pest is so I can't possibly fight it. The only thing I havent tried is throwing diatomaceous earth all over them, but I'm not sure that could give coverage as good as spraying a liquid. GAH!

Do you see any whiteflys or gnat looking flies? These look like larvae from one of the two or even thrips. Im guessing thrips. But some of the damage looks like u over did ur attack on them.

Edited by ProPlayer420, 14 November 2011 - 09:45 AM.

#14 CleanD

CleanD

In a medicated State... ;-)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

how do ya like that?!? hemp russett mites are in MI... interesting. 'mite' be the first official case, but that's what it looks like to me. you're going to want to go with something stronger than neem or any of the soft approaches... knew a guy that had em before, caused them much grief.

#15 CleanD

CleanD

In a medicated State... ;-)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

by the way... excellent pics bro. u can kill em... my buddy did. peace

#16 sheldo

sheldo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

go buy some insect dust "diatomaceous earth" that stuff will cut up the bodies of the worms it only costs about $10 for 4.4lbs and goes a long way

#17 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

All of the damage to the leaves was worse before I sprayed them. Each time with the sprays, I rinsed them off 10-15 minutes after application to avoiding damaging the leaves further. I haven't seen anything flying around outside of the root aphid problem that I have nearly beat. They do look kinda like those thrips larva... maybe I should get thrips/whitefly sticky strips or whatever they are and see if there's anything I'm missing...? I will try diatomaceous earth soon. And thank you all for your concern, this community is full of th e most compassionate people I've ever met. Very heartwarming. :goodjob: I have antivirals on the way.

#18 mike44

mike44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationUpper Mid Michigan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

All of the damage to the leaves was worse before I sprayed them. Each time with the sprays, I rinsed them off 10-15 minutes after application to avoiding damaging the leaves further. I haven't seen anything flying around outside of the root aphid problem that I have nearly beat. They do look kinda like those thrips larva... maybe I should get thrips/whitefly sticky strips or whatever they are and see if there's anything I'm missing...? I will try diatomaceous earth soon. And thank you all for your concern, this community is full of th e most compassionate people I've ever met. Very heartwarming. :goodjob: I have antivirals on the way.

I hope you kill them quick, you are only 65 miles from me and I don't want them walking their way over to my plants. Glad you were able to get help with the antivirals, it can be very hard in this state for people without insurance to get help. They will let you die if you don't have $$$, or at least let you stay sick.

#19 Ten4GoodBuddys

Ten4GoodBuddys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Shingles in your 20s is really rare. I got them on my 31st birthday. They didn't believe my self diagnosis until they saw it. I had them on my right hip and my whole back and side hurt terribly, like cuss people out and lose your job terribly.

I found that heat helped the pain and stiffness a bunch, although it was not advised by the doctors, it sure helped. If you have a heating pad, you may want to try it if you are in pain.

Hooray on antivirals!

#20 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I hope you kill them quick, you are only 65 miles from me and I don't want them walking their way over to my plants.

:P

Glad you were able to get help with the antivirals, it can be very hard in this state for people without insurance to get help. They will let you die if you don't have $$$, or at least let you stay sick.

Yes... it's terrible... I've had nothing for a long time and have ignored a lot of health problems that really should not have been ignored. It's cruel here for sure. I am very lucky I found a doctor compassionate enough to help me out. Thank god.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users