68 replies to this topic

#61 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

So your experience has been that all control measures fail once a plant has been infested?

Thanks for chiming it with help guys... I really appreciate it... it has been a really depressing pest to fight. Thankfully a kind individual on this site gave me a clone of something very special which I have growing in a separate area, so I won't be left with nothing.

#62 mpp

mpp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

So your experience has been that all control measures fail once a plant has been infested?

Thanks for chiming it with help guys... I really appreciate it... it has been a really depressing pest to fight. Thankfully a kind individual on this site gave me a clone of something very special which I have growing in a separate area, so I won't be left with nothing.

Nope. This may be the case, but my experience alone has lead me to this conclusion:
my primary method, premature host termination (killing the plant before it would die or reach near-death, which happens when the population level of the pest has overwhelmed the plant's water carrying system and they start migrating AKA zombie plague time) works & will target the removal of the species via early discovery and plant termination (I would throw a trashbag over it to remove it from the room, SERIOUSLY) while using precautions like gloves, handwashing and sterilization. If you do need to keep infested meds, consider pasteurizing them and baking with them, as this will kill them and their eggs. In large outdoor infestations prescribed burns are ordered (there are reports from the 60's and 70's in academic journals).
I also use chemical cleaners and a vacuum + filter to clean the areas but I'm advocating/practicing the equivalent of shooting someone when they get bitten by a zombie (a la zombie flix of course) and I'm saying so far I haven't seen them come back but all my original lines are no more. Just friend's phenos but still. The heartbreak comes as the borgs (aculops) release/secrete PGRs into the plant which make it look so amazingly wonderful.
One clue that a plant has them is that it is just starts shooting up new growth REALLY fast without photoperiod change (flowering stretch). Also early signs I have found--low population meaning it takes you a while to find them but they ARE there and some helpful tips:

1. Some leaf distortion but lots of under/lower canopy small leaf proliferation (again this morphological change not correlated with photoperiod change)
2. Also early in leaf examination where 1-10 were found, and I have found this to be true for other insect-laden plants, the normal water "droplets" you would see underneath the leaf will be totally missing. I've seen this on plants with thrips, spider mites, and russet mites. But its a good quick indicator (assuming the plant has been watered recently) that there is bugz.
3. Obviously if you see a larval/pupal/mature mite you know they are there. If you can make your room colder they will progress through phases slower.
4. Remember plant 2 plant is most common so don't take clones, save no seeds from infested females, and pretty much axe the lines that got them and you will be replicating my method. As I was developing it I discovered many mistakes I was making and was able to eliminate bad behaviors.
5. If it wasn't clear already you will be scoping each plant in 5-10 locations (Stems, new growth leaves, petioles--leaf stem area, and preflowers<--very tasty) Id say every 3-5 days if you plan to save any from the area that you think are hit I think this would be a minimum. Labeling the plants and check date etc helps keep it straight if you have diverse stock etc. Good luck!

Hope this is more detailed help, I share your pain most thoroughly. I had immense success with my first run ever and fell in love with the strain and promptly lost it. But there is always better out there, find yourself some nice clean seeds and you will know for sure you aren't bringing in someone else's bugs/mold/bacteria/viruses into what could be a clean start.
MPP

edit:
nice timing on the post time...that was after typing the whole rant too heh

Edited by mpp, 29 January 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#63 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thank you very much for yoru advice...

I just killed all my plants - even the Bubba Kush in the closet. A very sad day... somehow they spread to the closet, even though i was diligent about cleaning, and OCD about not touching infested plants in the tent witohut scrubbing my hands immediately after. I guess it's going to be seeds now... I was thinking of getting Sannie's Herijuana, it's cheap (I can't be spending a hundred bucks on seeds), low odor, and supposed to be very sedating. Any other suggestions? I am looking for the most narcotic pure indica possible.

Very frustrating... ever since I got my card almost a year ago all I've wanted is to grow out a pure indica. I still haven't been able to. All my hybrids went through fine, but the GX got sick with spider mites, root aphids , then russet mites... and now the Bubba Kush is toast, too.

#64 CaffeineForAll

CaffeineForAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationS.E. MI

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thank you very much for yoru advice...

I just killed all my plants - even the Bubba Kush in the closet. A very sad day... somehow they spread to the closet, even though i was diligent about cleaning, and OCD about not touching infested plants in the tent witohut scrubbing my hands immediately after. I guess it's going to be seeds now... I was thinking of getting Sannie's Herijuana, it's cheap (I can't be spending a hundred bucks on seeds), low odor, and supposed to be very sedating. Any other suggestions? I am looking for the most narcotic pure indica possible.

Very frustrating... ever since I got my card almost a year ago all I've wanted is to grow out a pure indica. I still haven't been able to. All my hybrids went through fine, but the GX got sick with spider mites, root aphids , then russet mites... and now the Bubba Kush is toast, too.

Mazaar-i-sharif is one of my favorite pure indicas. She was a bit fussy when we got her back in the day, and did the obligatory skunk #1 cross. LSD from barneys reminds me too much of the skunk side, so avoid that cross imo. I haven't seen dutch passions, but there is always a chance of finding that mazar dominant cross.

Pure Kush is another excellent one, but you will have a hard time finding it in the original clone only form.

Chem Dawg is something you are more likely to find (and I swear pure kush is/has chem dawg in it some where).

#65 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well it's hard to heat the room up enough with a space heater. Are there are portable gas heaters that are safe to use indoors? Does anyone know?

I think part of the reason its taken so long for the russets to show themselves (i thought those plants were clean for two months) is because it's been so chilly in there (low to mid 60s). I want to make sure they dont come crawling off the walls or something so I figure I gotta make their eggs hatch with warmth (maybe humidity too?) and starve them for the next couple days/weeks.

Lukcily I did get decent stuff out of the grow, the russets appeared after I flowered my last plant.

Posted Image

Edited by purklize, 01 February 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#66 mpp

mpp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

Sorry to hear, but glad you took action. Watch all of your product, consider it radioactive for it could have eggs even if you never saw them. (this doesn't mean don't consume, just be OCD regarding it and your new run) I can confirm on the temperature effect, they have a hard time around below 65F. Also remember that they transfer via wind so maybe plan the next run(s) accordingly and monitor irregular growth spurts/leaf curls/insanely fast rooting under isolation when it occurs (quarantine) and even if they do come back you should have the upper hand.
Best of luck to you and safe living to all,
MPP

#67 purklize

purklize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks again for the advice, you've been very thorough and I appreciate it immensely.

How did you go about cleaning your space? I have hardwood floors so I can't really scrub them with harsh cleaning chemicals, and my bed is lofted in the room, so I can't use toxic bugbombs or anything like that. I was thinking I could try to get the temperature in there up to 140F+ as I read that temp for 4 hours exterminates bed bug infestations... not sure what else to do. My biggest concern is obviously the eggs as they can survive for a long time (over winter) attached to seeds as i think you mentioned... gotta make them hatch and die of heat exhuastion somehow I guess. My nightmare is being clean for a few months, then flipping over to flower and brushing an egg onto my arm from somewhere in the room, and then gettinng it on the plant...

How long has it been since you saw a russet mite in your garden?

Edited by purklize, 02 February 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#68 mpp

mpp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

How long has it been since you saw a russet mite in your garden?

Quite some time thankfully, more useful might be the question:
What was the longest time between contact and visible infestation? (plant to plant is the only I have seen--this includes you breaking up dried material from infested, and then handling your grow, human mediated plant to plant) --- 1 month, This was at fairly cold temperatures.
I recommend bleach and a vacuum. Nowadays I consider most dried medicine to be suspect just because there are so many opportunities and egos involved that favor unforeseen transmission. Start your next small, from seed no need to take in more clones :(
consider it a test run and u can clone from a nice looking sprouted plant, keep vigilant with the scope. if you kill plants that have babies you know that the likelihood of it having spread is approaching zero. your diligence will bring you new confidence, your experiences amounting to that which many veterans have faced, lending you a taste of their hardships
remember you can always pluck off a leaf for full inspection, watch for any REALLY fast growth spurts as even the babies will secrete the PGRs.
MPP

Edited by mpp, 06 February 2012 - 02:27 AM.

#69 Darkmatter

Darkmatter

Advanced Member

• Forum Leaders
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Holy crap!

They are like Hemp Hob-goblins! My condolences friend. You did the right thing though. Can't have these lil' monsters hanging around the mitten. I salute you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users