Darkmatter 2.0

Darkmatter

So I know that I am getting ahead of myself here, but in about 1 year I will be moving this whole thing.I am not thrilled about it, as my neck, and arms are still recovering from the set-up process. But it will be an opportunity to improve on some things in here.

#1 (This I will be doing ASAP! It can't wait long) I need a fluorescent light fixture for those cloners. I can't imagine having much success in that tent trying to veg 4 sites AND light those 2 cloners with a single 400w MH. For now I have to just go with what I have. Cloning may have to wait.

#2 Will be to remove most of that "6 flex ducting and use the solid straight ducts, this will greatly improve my airflow.

#3 I think I want to do A vertical grow in flower. See how I have 4 sites under each 1000 watt HPS light in there? Well what I was thinking is that I can remove the reflectors and make those light vertical, so they hang smack in the center of those 4 sites.

#4 The finale will possibly be to install light movers to run those cool-tubes up and down vertically. (Like pistons)

Just some ideas I have been pondering. Save for improvement #1 I am all set for now, and can't afford any of that just yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Well things are moving along. I let my TDS levels fall to 620 PPMs(my target is 1000 for the formula I use) ,and Kandy Kush told me that it was not enough today. 4 leaves on the very bottom did this: If my memory serves me right she was a heavy feeder. I can use this to my advantage however, since she will let me now when nutrient levels get low.

HPIM7352.jpg

So I topped off the reservoir today and added back nutrients, and PH buffers. We are now at 1000 PPM / 5.5 PH.

Everything else looks great. I am tuning things in, and fixing the small problems as they arise.

I bent that Kandy Kush Tree over to the open spot just now. 2 hours later she is already moving back towards the light! :blink:

HPIM7340.jpg

Growth is amazing! We are at day 1 in flower here:

HPIM7357.jpg

The veg tent needs a light But I am doing what I can with what I have. I took cuttings of everything and parked em' close to the light( A 400 Watt MH) but still on the perimeter. We will see how this works with no fluorescent light.

HPIM7358.jpg

So I noticed a little brown algae growing in my reservoir. I immediately realized that I needed to cover the white plastic caps on that 55 gallon Barrel. That has to be what caused it right? That and the absence of chlorine in my R/O water combined with the slight heat that it received from being a black barrel so close to a 1000 watt HPS light gave it some fine conditions in which to grow.

I am going to get some heat shield for that barrel, for now I have put a panda film hood on it.

So, should I add something to kill that stuff (chlorine, Hygrozime?) or what? Should I pump out all that water now? There was only a very little amount of algae on the black 1/2" tube that my pump connects to and I wiped it off.

There is no slime in the barrel that I can feel or see, just on that tube.

If anything 69° seems a bit hot. Have you noticed any slime (white or brown) floating in the res or around the pump?

Now the reservoir temperature is at 73 and yes the pump is getting some brown slime. I am the only guy I know who is forced to use r/o water and so far I hate it. What would you recommend? I dare not ask the hydro-store guys either.

Wow. I am loving the new setup. Aside from a cheap 1000 watt ballast burning out on me everything is just perfect, I lost about 4 inches of height on the side that it blew, as it took me a few days to get a new one. The old one is being replaced by the warranty and will be used for a spare when it arrives.

HPIM7366.jpg

HPIM7363.jpg

Some more training on the Kandy Kush

HPIM7378.jpg

Look at those roots!( The gunk in there is Bacillus Thuringiensis AKA Mosquito Dunks, A beneficial bacteria I am using to prevent fungus gnats. I know that some of the clones I originally got had them)

HPIM7367.jpg

Jurassic Leaf! I keep waiting to be attacked by Raptors in here!

HPIM7365.jpg

The clones are rooting like champions. I will put them into phase 2 (the large black cloner) tomorrow. It is important that things take their time in the tent for now. I have no room for anything in stage 3 (the 4 veg buckets) or flower at the moment. Though I do have the option of adding 2 more spots in stage 3.

HPIM7369.jpg

HPIM7372.jpg

HPIM7375.jpg

No return of any algae either.

Edited by Darkmatter

Things are just amazing. I feel high. Not the kind of high that comes from good medicine, but the high that comes from creation, and success. My girls are exceding my expectations in every way. everything feel just perfect. Every stage in tune.

I fell over the other day, and snapped a branch off of the Irainian G13. Thankfully she was only 4-5 days into flower at the time. So I took a few cuttings and threw them in the cloner.

Here is the tip.

HPIM7389.jpg

It's all comming together now!

HPIM7397.jpg

HPIM7399.jpg

HPIM7391.jpg

I love my garden, it is even helping keep my spirits up when things are down. I can not help but smile when I look upon such lovely ladies.

HPIM7403.jpg

Edited by Darkmatter

Well A plant hermied on me last night. Just one, my Master Kush the only one in there. Believe me I checked every branch in there the rest are fine. She/He was bad enough that I decided to show her/him to an early grave. Not sure what happened, there was zero stress on this plant, at least none that she showed to me. There was a pin-hole of light leaking that I found when I turned the lights off to check. But it was easily 2 feet from said plant. Regardless I fixed that.

Perhaps this could have happened when the Panda-Film cover that I have Velcroed to the front of my tent fell off the other day, and leaked a beam of light into the room? (But that happened a week ago, and has been fixed)

I feel like Sherlock Holmes trying to solved the mystery of the Hermied Plant!

No matter though. I am fine as long as it does not happen again. I can pop another plant in it's spot from the veg tent just as soon as I am sure the coast is clear!

I love having a perpetual system!

trippy. I've grown that strain (EXACT plant, since it came from me!!) a few times w/o trouble. a few friends still have her and love it

I know right?

I would feel better if I could identify what caused it. I just hope it is not an issue that will affect the entire room. Perhaps it needs another set of eyes (hint hint)?

There has been a bump or 2 in the road as of late. another Bubba Kush hermied on me, and I still don't know why. I cut her down and replaced them with new vegged plants from the tent.

Such is life. There are no leaks of light in this room at all. Other than a few green LEDs that shine from my AC unit, and even those are masked by duct tape.

No other signs of male flowers anywhere.

I am also still growing a small amount of algae. I pumped everything out today and while things were draining I noticed little bits of brown gunk coming out of the system, not the reservoir. I am working on a couple of solutions and theories as to why this happens.

My reservoir is dark, it is covered with a panda film cap to ensure that.

Maybe I need to cover the hydroton on each site with a panda film lid?

Is it the R/O water causing this? Peroxide can not be the solution, I will not grow nasty tasting meds, I hear that is what peroxide fed meds produce, and besides is that not just a band-aid? I need to fix the cause of the algae 1st correct?

I tell myself that my plants look nice, and the roots look great, so as long as i fix it, things will be ok. It's all part of learning. So I am not trying to stress about it TOO much, but on the other hand I will not procrastinate either.

Things look pretty good despite some minor setbacks. It is hard to take pictures in this light, I am going to work with a photographer friend for some cheap solutions.

HPIM7426.jpg

Look at that Kandy Kush monster. She is taking up almost a whole light now! Yes this is just one plant pictured here. I did not mean for her to veg so long. She is OVERGROWN!

HPIM7418.jpg

My remaining Bubba.

HPIM7427.jpg

Now this one perplexes me. It is the only one doing it. See the claw? I am guessing that my water needed to be changed, so I did. Am I on the right track there?

HPIM7417.jpg

HPIM7416.jpg

It's only doing that on the top branches. The lower ones look fine. No discoloration anywhere. <_<

Hey Man,

I have had that same thing. Question is do you have 2 plants of the same strain 1 curling down, 1 normal? I try to contribute this to running multiple strains in the same system. On the Hermie thing, I do not think a tiny amount of light is going to stress the plant that much. ( I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong) but if it's sealed up tight... Hmmm. Anyway drop me a line if you see more happening.

Hey Man,

I have had that same thing. Question is do you have 2 plants of the same strain 1 curling down, 1 normal? I try to contribute this to running multiple strains in the same system. On the Hermie thing, I do not think a tiny amount of light is going to stress the plant that much. ( I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong) but if it's sealed up tight... Hmmm. Anyway drop me a line if you see more happening.

I lost track of things when my cloner overgrew I had little tags sitting on top of each one, but they all got kicked around. I dont use those tags anymore, now I use duct tape and marker.

There are 6 plants in flower currently. Only that one curls and it has a sister right next to it. It is either a Master Kush or a Dr Greenthumb Bubba Kush.

ZenGarden.jpgzen_garden.jpgMagicGarden2.jpg

I lost track of things when my cloner overgrew I had little tags sitting on top of each one, but they all got kicked around. I dont use those tags anymore, now I use duct tape and marker.

There are 6 plants in flower currently. Only that one curls and it has a sister right next to it. It is either a Master Kush or a Dr Greenthumb Bubba Kush.

Always something huh DM? Overall, your plants are doing very well, but I understand your frustrations with them.

I wish I could feel that good feeling that you get when your garden does well, a creation feeling, bonding with nature, Zen Garden Master, etc. Maybe I will attain that level in my next life? I am happy that you are doing so well, and I send positive vibes for continued improvements and success! Peace to you this day DM!

zen_garden.pngIMG_1377.jpg

Incredible growth!:goodjob:
very nice

Thanks guys!

Nice job, looks like they are blocking there stomatas for some reason. Also I was wondering What's the dimensions of your grow tent or area? I'm looking at tents currently and was using yours for a size reference.

Yep yep my tent is 4X8'.

The room is 12x12'

I also figure that my light footprint in flower is about 4x8' as well.

Clogged stomata you say? Very well could be, I had not considered that. I have hit them with neem oil a time or 2. For prevention purposes. Maybe I'll give them a wash tomorrow.

Always something huh DM? Overall, your plants are doing very well, but I understand your frustrations with them.

I wish I could feel that good feeling that you get when your garden does well, a creation feeling, bonding with nature, Zen Garden Master, etc. Maybe I will attain that level in my next life? I am happy that you are doing so well, and I send positive vibes for continued improvements and success! Peace to you this day DM!

Thank man.

I am not really at all frustrated, save for the hermies. Quite the contrary, I am in a state of hydroponic bliss. Things are exceeding my rather high expectations.

Edited by Darkmatter