Man Tests Tsa Policy Allowing Patients To Fly With With Medical Marijuana

You don't think there are ever dogs in the back when your bags are going through?

I don't want to be the test case.....

I suppose that's possible. Why not put it in your carry-on? And I suppose it depends how much you're taking. If you're talking about 4-5 grams, I don't think you have to worry too much about dogs if you vacuum seal it once or twice. An ounce or two is a very different story.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have flown from Detroit to California, Cali to DTW, DTW to Denver CO, and also to vail with no problems ever, actually in Vail they took everything out of my carry on, took my smelly proof see thru bag with 2 ounces in it and took out a bottle of iced tea I had in my bag, they asked if I wanted to drink it or just throw it out, I said throw it then the man nicely put my meds and other crap back in my bag and said have a great day sir.

WOW

I can't imagine walking in the airport with an Oz in a carry on haha.

If I had 3 patients (as I am a patient as well myself)

I could go to Cali, get a card there and bring back 8 oz of Cali goodness

Hmmmmm

I am going to really have to think about this one as a good friend owns a Disp. out there....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to visit Michigan from Northern CA later this month

and I expect to bring my Volcano and 8oz of meds. I'll be happy

to report on what happens. I'm thinking about putting the

Volcano in a checked bag and the 8oz in my carry-on with

my documentation.

Please keep us posted!

I have a friend whose a CA patient (from MI originally but never had his card here)

who just flew back with 8 oz on him in his carry on.

He did not check baggage so he got off the plane and walked right out to a waiting MetroCar

BUT

He did say there was a K-9 officer walking around baggage claim but as I said my friend was in and out.

Skolar steve u rock! i cant wait to fly somewhere as a patient and use my card in another state. just was in Utah, no mmj law but the entire state, except the mormons, smoke pot. got a sample bag of 6 different types of indica, about 3 grams, $25. and it rocked. prob from cali i'm guessing.

oh yeah i have heard of girls hiding joints inside tampons and resealing the paper wrapper, that is a popular method for crossing into canada. ive never had weed left to bring back to the states, but i would be careful messing with immigration. i have flown with someone who literally had a bag taped to his taint, it was a very uncomfortable flight for him. plus it made him panicky. i have also heard of unrolling and rerolling a cig replacing the tobacco with weed, a long and monotonous process. I think that would be the method i would prefer if i was going in secret agent style. i have thought about trying the basket of baked goods, having a few none-weed baked goods on top to hand out to nice tsa agents, "here sweetie have a cookie". empty lipstick or makeup containers for the girls..., or someone on here once suggested oil in a beano container for the boys.

still i would highly recommend the stealth cig pack method. that way if you see drug sniffing dogs in the airport you can pitch it in the nearest trash can.

• 8 months later...

I'm flying from Detroit to Vegas in a few weeks and would love to bring a Brownie with me on the flight to eat on my flight back. It helps so much with back pain cramped on those tiny seats. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a number I could call at Metro Apt. to get an answer. Just really don't want any drama on my flight. I'm new here and thank you very much for the help!

I was waiting on the runway for 30 min 3 weeks ago in Atlanta while a "dept of homeland security" officer and his trusty K-9 went sniffing around the area. They never came onto the plane directly (interior cabin) but they wernt out there playing catch for those 30 min either. All seemed well though, i didnt see them take any bags. Once we finally pushed away from the tunnel, the officer and dog went up the steps and inside the airport.

I have a friend that is an ex-sheriff canine officer, his dogs were drug and tracking dogs, acording to him it is impossible to have a bomb dog and drug dog in the same. The training for them is totally different and it would totally confuse the dog. Drug and tracking dog, bomb and tracking dog is how they are trained. Hope this helps, I would think in this day age most dogs being used at the airports are bomb sniffing dogs, can't say they all are but I'm sure more bomb dogs are being used than drug dogs.

D

My friends work for Northwest at Metro and they tell me to bring some. Nothing will happen if you have a card. They can only "hold" it for you if they find it. As for dogs I have personally been petting a sniffing dog while I had 3 joints in my coat. Now my friends told me that the dog was a bomb sniffing dog. But then they said they are trained for fruit, drugs and bombs. From personal experience the dogs are not as good as LEO claims they are. They are trained to "hit" when the officer signals giving the cops just cause.

Obviously you are a Dog person ! Woof woof !

I usually travel with a cookie or 2, rice krispie treats or similiar and have never had an issue. My adult daughter called me from business class 2 weeks ago on a trip to Europe and was smiling as she told me about the rice krispy she was consuming on board for the long flight. No troubles yet but keeping the fingers crossed. A little "button" of hard dark hash--yes it is shaped like a button with 2 holes-- is also thrown in loose in luggage and is always ready upon arrival. Good Luck and be safe.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd really love to bring some meds with me but I feel like it would be such a hassle. I know there is another thread about this somewhere on the forum with a person who actually works at the airport saying we could bring meds with us on flights. I'd love to be able to call and talk to a TSA agent at Metro but I can't find a number anywhere. I guess I can probably bring a cookie or 2 without them even knowing but I'll have my paperwork or card just in case!

• 9 months later...

Mike Schaef of Tacoma, Washington operates a medical marijuana patient collective garden.

When going through security at SeaTac airport just south of Seattle, Mike put about two grams of cannabis in the scanner bowl in the TSA line.

After a few minutes with the feds and locals the TSA gave him back his meds and let him go on his way.

Full article here.

Why are people still questioning this? I've done it, from LAX to DTW without even a blink of an eye. I approached the security check, I placed my card INSIDE my bag of meds I had with me, put it with my cellphone and wallet. I had my id in my hand with my boarding pass and they didn't even verify that my name on my med card matched my boarding pass/id, the QUICKLY glanced at the card (not even sure if they read it or the dates) and pushed it along. I had about 16-18 grams on me that I got from a CG I know in LA and it was a non issue, I also know someone that was a CG here and brought back 4 oz from a CG/Disp. I'm not sure which with no problem. That he put in his checked bag, informed the desk and they put a tag on his bag with a note according to him, he said it was never asked about when he was on the plane, or when he collected his bag when he returned, he was from cali to mich but I'm not sure if he flew out of LAX or somewhere else. Don't hide it like a college kid trying to sneek some weed on a trip treat it as it is, it is your medication and you're bringing it with you, theres a stigma attached to it but it seems like TSA doesn't want to get in the middle of a medical marijuana battle especailly over smaller amounts I'd imagine. I've also seen photos/video clips of people walking on and off planes with clones and even a fairly large teen plant in broad daylight with no issues clearly. Be safe and honest and everything will work out guys

Why are people still questioning this? I've done it, from LAX to DTW without even a blink of an eye. I approached the security check, I placed my card INSIDE my bag of meds I had with me, put it with my cellphone and wallet. I had my id in my hand with my boarding pass and they didn't even verify that my name on my med card matched my boarding pass/id, the QUICKLY glanced at the card (not even sure if they read it or the dates) and pushed it along. I had about 16-18 grams on me that I got from a CG I know in LA and it was a non issue, I also know someone that was a CG here and brought back 4 oz from a CG/Disp. I'm not sure which with no problem. That he put in his checked bag, informed the desk and they put a tag on his bag with a note according to him, he said it was never asked about when he was on the plane, or when he collected his bag when he returned, he was from cali to mich but I'm not sure if he flew out of LAX or somewhere else. Don't hide it like a college kid trying to sneek some weed on a trip treat it as it is, it is your medication and you're bringing it with you, theres a stigma attached to it but it seems like TSA doesn't want to get in the middle of a medical marijuana battle especailly over smaller amounts I'd imagine. I've also seen photos/video clips of people walking on and off planes with clones and even a fairly large teen plant in broad daylight with no issues clearly. Be safe and honest and everything will work out guys

People are still questioning it because its extremely questionable. Airlines are over seen by the FAA. The Federal Aviation Administration. Key word being "Federal". Which Marijuana is still illegal Federally. I have contacted tye TSA at Metro inquiring about taking my meds to Cali with me. Their response was "NO". I prefer to Fed-Ex my meds addressed to myself when i travel. Its not a Federal entity such as the US Mail. Not sayin it any more legal than flying with it. Its just my preferred method. Thanks, Medcnman.

I say it still depends, at the least they could have cause to seize it, as they would money that was not reported. So, at the least you could stand to lose your meds.

I am sure they will flag your TSA flier account - and perhaps everytime now, they will check you for marijuana. They can track how many times you fly from CA to Mi, and decide if you are just a medical patient, or someone trafficking in marijuana using a MM card to transport. If they suspect you are trafficking, you will be reported to another federal agency - the DEA.

DN

People are still questioning it because its extremely questionable. Airlines are over seen by the FAA. The Federal Aviation Administration. Key word being "Federal". Which Marijuana is still illegal Federally. I have contacted tye TSA at Metro inquiring about taking my meds to Cali with me. Their response was "NO". I prefer to Fed-Ex my meds addressed to myself when i travel. Its not a Federal entity such as the US Mail. Not sayin it any more legal than flying with it. Its just my preferred method. Thanks, Medcnman.

at this site... shouldn't exactly be stating something like that in the open... uhem... ;-)

but as mmc said... it's true. here's my account...

vegas to denver, several trips... each w personal meds in my checked luggage... sealed & wrapped with a label citing both State's laws regarding mmj, my name, my legal status & my intention that this is medication under a doctor's order & that the contents are exclusively for personal use & not for resale and/or distribution of any sort. i travel w copies of the law + my cards. have had 2 bags searched w the tsa card inserted right next to my bag. not once did i have any problems beyond the search card... and one time it was literally right on top of my package. true story... but this is medi-State to medi-State. peace all.

Really? You think that since FedEx isn't ran by the federal government its ok to mail yourself marijuana? Wow. You could get charged with shipping it to the location, as well as recieving it on the same package, thats two federal felonies like that. There is NO WHERE in any law that is even close to saying you may mail your medication through any delivery system. Please people DO NOT listen to what he is saying, if you start packing up your marijuana to mail it to your destination you're going to get yourself in A LOT more trouble then if you walk into the airport all legal, let them see it, if they have any questions answer them and be on your way, don't put yourself at risk for prison time when it is not necessary.

I am flying my Gma down to FL and need to bring some meds with me. Florida is a non-friendly mj state. Can I fly with it and my card from GRAP MI to Fla? Should I claim it in a checked bag? Carry on and claim...or not? Or just ship down before I go and have it waiting for me when I arrive?

Since I am flying with my Gma I can't have any major issues as the stress on her could be bad.

I love the button idea. A couple buttons might be enough. Could maybe even sew them onto some clothes. lol This batch of qwiso ended up very hard when scrapped up and cooled down after kneading.

DSC03056.jpg

Thanks for any info or advice,

Blake

Archived