Mezz's Meds Method

MightyMightyMezz

I wanted to start a thread to share what I am learning about growing in organic soil so here we go. The future is now!

Free Leonard @ day 58

gallery_13379_663_2123629.jpg

The goal is for the plants to get all the nutrients they need from the soil itself so all they need is water. I don't feed with liquid "nutes" save for the occasional hit of Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed or guano if i think a plant is not getting everything it needs. The current mix consists of earthworm castings/vermicompost, kelp meal, crab shell meal, both high nitrogen and high phosphorous guano, Dr. Earth, Plant Success, dolomitic lime and azomite in a base of peat and perlite. I add the occasional compost tea to boost the microbial life in the soil.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLrYjKqPmk

Worm castings are always good. I have used both store-bought castings and homemade castings. They both work but the fresh homemade castings really rock. I use old style recycle bins to house my worm population. I feed them all the scraps of organic produce, coffee grounds and things like that that we produce. All stems and unwanted trim go into the bins. The larger items in this bin are Florida coconut shells.

gallery_13379_663_562050.jpg

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice man. Thanks for getting some dialog going for the organic guys (It's not my way, but I love information).

When you use this method do you even have to flush at the end? Seems like you would not have to.

Howdy DM. I have found that true organic medicine doesn't really need a flush. What are you trying to do when you flush? Get the salt-based nutes out of the plant tissue right? Guess what organic doesn't have! No salts, no need to flush. I just keep watering. No need to water to the point of runoff.

Beautiful Mezz. That should make for some premium medicine. The FL looks great! :thumbsu:

Thanks man. I had to thin that one out a lot because it was revegger that grew back into a real mess of quasi-vegging larf. I'm expecting the next ones will be much prettier. These are some solid buds anyway and I know the medical quality will be there.

Wow, nice. Making your own worm castings is impressive.

I have been using a similar method with great success.I mix my own dirt up adding what I need.

I only use earth juice once or twice per flowering plant if at all.

Latley not at all to stay under limits due to paperwork malfunction.

I have not had a ph or nutrient problem for years. I still flush,even though I wonder if it is needed.

My main motivation to be organic is harshness, organic just doesn't irritate the throat as much (of course this is only my opinion). Patients seem to appreciate the difference too.

R

Love organics. I have been wanting to start a worm bin for some time. Is it pretty easy?

Also, I was wondering if you could expand a bit on your soil mix, especially the ratios of amendments to substrate, and lime to fertilizer. I can get all the way to the end with just water, but my plants do not look nearly as nice as that by the end. Also, I think the container size vs plant size becomes much more crucial when doing things this way, and I think a larger container could help. Any comments?

Worms are really easy. Just make sure they have enough moisture, food and bedding. They do 99% of the work. I got mine from a friend's backyard compost pile.

I don't have an exact recipe yet but it would be something like

• 2.5 cubic feet Sunshine Natural and Organic mix (compost would be better) with extra perlite added
  • 30 - 60 lbs worm castings
  • 8 cups kelp meal (1-0-2)
  • 8 cups crab shell meal (2-3-0 plus Ca and Mg) - this destroys soil-borne pests also
  • 2 cups 3-10-1 guano
  • 2 cups 12-12-2 (or whatever it is :rolleyes:) guano
  • 1 cup dolomitic lime
  • 1/2 cup azomite
  • 1/2 cup Dr. Earth mycorrhizae and/or a healthy sprinkle of Plant Success (these two are redundant - I'm currently using both)

I think it is necessary to include slow release nutrient sources (low N-P-K) to see the plants through to the end. Guano gets used pretty fast.

Regarding containers - I was an instant convert to Smart Pots and quickly went on to Superoots Air Pots. Air-pruning pots in general are great. Even a smaller pot can produce nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nceTm3r1mZc

Wow, nice. Making your own worm castings is impressive.

I have been using a similar method with great success.I mix my own dirt up adding what I need.

I only use earth juice once or twice per flowering plant if at all.

Latley not at all to stay under limits due to paperwork malfunction.

I have not had a ph or nutrient problem for years. I still flush,even though I wonder if it is needed.

My main motivation to be organic is harshness, organic just doesn't irritate the throat as much (of course this is only my opinion). Patients seem to appreciate the difference too.

R

Organic really does smoke smooth doesn't it? That is what I like about it plus I value the simplicity and intelligence if you will of natural systems; working in co-operation with nature.

Organic really does smoke smooth doesn't it? That is what I like about it plus I value the simplicity and intelligence if you will of natural systems; working in co-operation with nature.

Yes, you are right about the simplicity.

It is real nice being able to leave for up to 3 days without having to worry about a bad pump or ph problems.

That has a big value to me.

Watching lady bugs get it onstill always brings a smile to my face.

R

Yes, you are right about the simplicity.

It is real nice being able to leave for up to 3 days without having to worry about a bad pump or ph problems.

That has a big value to me.

Watching lady bugs get it onstill always brings a smile to my face.

R

Not owning a Ph meter - :wub:

I just want to state that Mezz's buds look really great, they smell wonderful, smooth smoking, but they are crap they have absolutely no effect. He washes out all the active ingredients!

What ever you do do not smoke any of his crap!. In case you have made the mistake of getting some send it to me so that I can dispose of it according to EPA instructions. (Where did I put those papers?) :devil:

Edited by mrd

Definitely. I have become very skeptical of growing systems that promise more "control" for the cultivator. Why would I want that? These plants already know what to do.

Cannabis even exudes different material from its roots at different parts of the cycle to encourage the type of bacteria specific to what nutrients it needs at the time (or so they say.)

I just want to state that Mezz's buds look really great, they smell wonderful, smooth smoking, but they are crap they have absolutely no effect. He washes out all the active ingredients!

What ever you do do not smoke any of his crap!. In case you have made the mistake of getting some send it to me so that I can dispose of it according to EPA instructions. (Where did I put those papers?)

:cigar:

To be fair, any mix containing perlite is generally not regarded as organic (depending on which regulatory body you ask). But what is really organic is a whole debate for another thread. Besides perlite is in nearly every potting soil you will find in stores, so oh well. My "organic" has perlite in the soil too.

I know you said you do not like liquids, but you may want to consider Bio-Bizz's line. Grow is beet molasses, and Bloom is beet molasses and kelp. Its also veganic if thats on your mind. Amazing results and I have tried A LOT of organic products.

The real key is the tea. It creates a whole ecosystem in your soil, which for organic growing is absolutely key. Research the soil food web if you haven't already.

Also be wary of most of the new products which contain trichoderma, that stuff wipes out other fungi and dominates in soil which will tank the soils PH. Also ecto mycorhizae is pointless for cannabis, so save the cash and buy Xtreme Gardening's Mykos. Just one strain of endo mycorhizae so no competition between strains. Also some soils that have mycorhizae advertised in the mix aren't a substitute for the Mykos, you have more control with the Mykos to get it ON the roots, which is very important for colonization.

On the bacterial side, again, teas made from worm compost but also alskan humus AKA river muck are the best. NEVER dilute them unless you are foliar spraying. Diluting them is just cutting your self short. Even if most of the bacteria in the tea dies, it is eaten by other bacteria and thus mineralized back into the soil. Xtreme Gardening's Azo's (nitrogen fixing bacteria) has been showing me promising results, if this keeps up I may be able to remove fish meal/high n bat guano/cotton seed meal from my mixes. It also claims zero yellowing of clones when used as a cloning paste. I have yet to try this out yet so I can't speak with any certaininty on that. Before anyone thinks I'm some Xtreme Gardening rep I'll say right now that anything else from them either doesn't perform as advertised (not even close with calcarb) or is over priced (like their tea brewing bags).

However, on the flushing issue, flushing is more than removing salts from the soil, its the act of starvation that forces the plant to stop relying on the soil/water to supply them nutrients and to take from their reserves held in the leaves. If your soil is over amended nitrogen and phosphorous will remain in these tissues. Nitrogen remaining allows chlorophyll to continue its photosynthesis processes leading to grassy or harsh tastes. Phosphorous remaining will result in the stores not being metabolized and a soapy taste or dark ash results. Remember there are such things called organic salts and they are present in many organic nutrients/supplements both dry and liquid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_organic_salts

Great thread, hope I added to it!

Edited by CaffeineForAll

Nice thread MMMezzzzz!!! I am so glad you are sharing what you are doing with those of us who are learning here. Your medicine is always potent and smooth, and that is an under-exaggeration! I wish nothing but continued success for your grows MightyMightyMezz!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0FZPSqZ4E&feature=related

Edited by Bisharoo

To be fair, any mix containing perlite is generally not regarded as organic (depending on which regulatory body you ask). But what is really organic is a whole debate for another thread. Besides perlite is in nearly every potting soil you will find in stores, so oh well. My "organic" has perlite in the soil too.

I know you said you do not like liquids, but you may want to consider Bio-Bizz's line. Grow is beet molasses, and Bloom is beet molasses and kelp. Its also veganic if thats on your mind. Amazing results and I have tried A LOT of organic products.

The real key is the tea. It creates a whole ecosystem in your soil, which for organic growing is absolutely key. Research the soil food web if you haven't already.

Also be wary of most of the new products which contain trichoderma, that stuff wipes out other fungi and dominates in soil which will tank the soils PH. Also ecto mycorhizae is pointless for cannabis, so save the cash and buy Xtreme Gardening's Mykos. Just one strain of endo mycorhizae so no competition between strains. Also some soils that have mycorhizae advertised in the mix aren't a substitute for the Mykos, you have more control with the Mykos to get it ON the roots, which is very important for colonization.

On the bacterial side, again, teas made from worm compost but also alskan humus AKA river muck are the best. NEVER dilute them unless you are foliar spraying. Diluting them is just cutting your self short. Even if most of the bacteria in the tea dies, it is eaten by other bacteria and thus mineralized back into the soil. Xtreme Gardening's Azo's (nitrogen fixing bacteria) has been showing me promising results, if this keeps up I may be able to remove fish meal/high n bat guano/cotton seed meal from my mixes. It also claims zero yellowing of clones when used as a cloning paste. I have yet to try this out yet so I can't speak with any certaininty on that. Before anyone thinks I'm some Xtreme Gardening rep I'll say right now that anything else from them either doesn't perform as advertised (not even close with calcarb) or is over priced (like their tea brewing bags).

However, on the flushing issue, flushing is more than removing salts from the soil, its the act of starvation that forces the plant to stop relying on the soil/water to supply them nutrients and to take from their reserves held in the leaves. If your soil is over amended nitrogen and phosphorous will remain in these tissues. Nitrogen remaining allows chlorophyll to continue its photosynthesis processes leading to grassy or harsh tastes. Phosphorous remaining will result in the stores not being metabolized and a soapy taste or dark ash results. Remember there are such things called organic salts and they are present in many organic nutrients/supplements both dry and liquid http://en.wikipedia....f_organic_salts

Great thread, hope I added to it!

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Caffeine. I'll be going over your post again when I've ingested your namesake and learning a few things I'm sure.

Nice thread MMMezzzzz!!! I am so glad you are sharing what you are doing with those of us who are learning here. Your medicine is always potent and smooth, and that is an under-exaggeration! I wish nothing but continued success for your grows MightyMightyMezz!!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Thanks bud!

I wanted to start a thread to share what I am learning about growing in organic soil so here we go. The future is now!

Free Leonard @ day 58

gallery_13379_663_2123629.jpg

The goal is for the plants to get all the nutrients they need from the soil itself so all they need is water. I don't feed with liquid "nutes" save for the occasional hit of Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed or guano if i think a plant is not getting everything it needs. The current mix consists of earthworm castings/vermicompost, kelp meal, crab shell meal, both high nitrogen and high phosphorous guano, Dr. Earth, Plant Success, dolomitic lime and azomite in a base of peat and perlite. I add the occasional compost tea to boost the microbial life in the soil.

Word to describe measure of quality,"It,s the Mezz!" Nice post..great info I'll be changing my ways ! CJD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLrYjKqPmk

Worm castings are always good. I have used both store-bought castings and homemade castings. They both work but the fresh homemade castings really rock. I use old style recycle bins to house my worm population. I feed them all the scraps of organic produce, coffee grounds and things like that that we produce. All stems and unwanted trim go into the bins. The larger items in this bin are Florida coconut shells.

gallery_13379_663_562050.jpg

Word to describe measure of quality,"It,s the Mezz!" Nice post..great info I'll be changing my ways ! CJD

Thanks Champion Jack. Yes, the famous Mezz Mezzrow: Jazz clarinetist and streetcorner supplier of the finest "muggles" or "guage" to hit the Harlem streets of yesteryear. As you say his very name was synonymous with high quality herb!

Mezzrow's autobiographical book Really the Blues which I highly recommend to all. His life story is fascinating and his use of language with heavy doses of 30's slang is awesome

To all the hipsters, hustlers and fly cats tipping along the Stroll. [Keep scuffling]

To all the cons in all the houses of many slammers, wrastling with chinches. [short time, boys.]

To all the junkies and lushheads in two-bit scratchpads, and the flophouse grads in morgue iceboxes. [R.I.P.]

To the sweettalkers, the gumbeaters, the highjivers, out of the gallion for good and never going to take it low again. [You got to make it, daddy.]

585137-L.jpg