Hunt Commander Under Investigation

http://www.alpenanow.com/index.php/2012/02/16/hunt-commander-removed-under-internal-investigation/

The commander of the Huron Undercover Narcotics Team has been relieved of his duties and is being investigated for misconduct.

An “administrative inquiry” is being conducted into the actions of Del Putnam, who took over as Hunt commander in late July 2011.

Alpena County Prosecutor Ed Black also serves as chairman of the HUNT board of directors. He confirmed that Putnam has been removed from office and will not be returning to the drug enforcement team.

Black could not release details of the ongoing investigation but did say the allegations arose from a third party tip within HUNT’s jurisdiction. True North Radio has been told by a member of law enforcement who wishes to remain anonymous that Putnam was dating a former confidential informant who spent time in prison on heroin charges.

Putnam remains on paid leave while the administrative inquiry continues. An MSP official said more information on the investigation might be available within the next couple of weeks.

Putnam is a native of Lansing and has spent approximately 18 years with Michigan State Police.

http://www.alpenanow...-investigation/

The commander of the Huron Undercover Narcotics Team has been relieved of his duties and is being investigated for misconduct.

An “administrative inquiry” is being conducted into the actions of Del Putnam, who took over as Hunt commander in late July 2011.

Alpena County Prosecutor Ed Black also serves as chairman of the HUNT board of directors. He confirmed that Putnam has been removed from office and will not be returning to the drug enforcement team.

Black could not release details of the ongoing investigation but did say the allegations arose from a third party tip within HUNT’s jurisdiction. True North Radio has been told by a member of law enforcement who wishes to remain anonymous that Putnam was dating a former confidential informant who spent time in prison on heroin charges.

Putnam remains on paid leave while the administrative inquiry continues. An MSP official said more information on the investigation might be available within the next couple of weeks.

Putnam is a native of Lansing and has spent approximately 18 years with Michigan State Police.

Thanks for the post.

Be very interresting to see how this turns out.

If you find out more, please keep us informed.

ok, i know these groups are usually full of roided out slope heads. but i guess i dont see the major issue,

hes dating an ex junky that did time in prison for heroin, and that gets him off the squad. i mean i think its fine, these squads are just gangs with badges. but fire him for dating a junky snitch?

Not sure I see what the big deal.is...

The rest of the sordid story is, the hunt cop in question, Del Putnam went after the prosecutor of Presque Isle County. The prosecutor was investigated for doctor shopping for pain pills. He was able to get doctors to cover his rear end, and now apparently in his position of being the legal adviser for hunt he is going after Mr Putnam. Thrilling, eh? I see this as primarily a corruption and retaliation story

We in the North Want Hunt Disbanded. They do nothing up here, except pick on sick and disabled Carded Patients. And Now that the General Public, and Local Officials, see what Hunt is about. They are continuing to not Fund Hunt. Dang Nazis, picking on the sick and disabled ppl.

• 2 weeks later...

HUNT commander removed

Presque Isle County Advance

2/22/2012 3:56:16 PM

by Peter Jakey, Managing Editor

The Huron Undercover Narcotics Team (HUNT) post commander Del Putnam has been removed from his position, pending an internal investigation by his employer the Michigan State Police (MSP). Alpena County prosecutor Ed Black, who serves as HUNT board chairman, was informed by MSP administrators, Feb. 6, that they had initiated an internal investigation into Putnam. “They had informed me that the information had been received by HUNT officers themselves, and they immediately reported it to the head of the (MSP Alpena) post,” said Black. “The post commander provided it to the appropriate officials within the Michigan State Police.”

MSP then launched its internal inquiry. “My understanding is that investigation is still pending,” Black added. MSP D/1st Lt. Pat Boyd of the 7th District Headquarters, Traverse City prepared letters for Black’s review and approval to send out to other board members informing them of the investigation. “I was informed verbally by Mr. Boyd that (Putnam) would not return,” said Black. Putnam had been HUNT commander since July.

MSP Alpena post commander Mike Haan has been appointed to supervise the drug team until a permanent replacement is found. The HUNT team is a multi-jurisdictional narcotics task force serving the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency and Presque Isle in northeast Michigan. The team was formed in 1990 and has come under fire in recent months in Presque Isle County over their handling of the investigation involving a former school success worker. The worker faced a felony charge which was later dropped because the interview provided the accused of an “unconstitutional assurance,” that shouldn’t have been made.

Additionally, Presque Isle County prosecutor Rick Steiger faced charges in Alpena for “doctor shopping,” which was later dismissed. Steiger called HUNT a “rogue” operation, and the charge levied by the Michigan Attorney General’s Office was HUNT’s attempt to “discredit” him and “destroy my career,” Steiger said in last week’s edition of the Outlook.

Black said the internal investigation doesn’t have anything to do with the Steiger matter. “My understanding is, it absolutely is not,” said Black. “It has nothing to do with that.” Boyd was contacted and said a “third party” tip is being investigated, but offered no further comment regarding the ongoing investigation.

Archived