Grow For Money Or Quality?

I've grown for personal use for a very long time and have developed some pretty good skills. In the past 6 mo I've tried to help some people with their licenses get up and running. The experience with not fulfilling to say the least. Main reason was because I've never made decisions based on $$$. For instance, I don't use HPS for flowering because I like the effect the the added UV has on psycho-activity. I've sampled some offering from some local grow shops and have been pretty disappointed. Smells good, looks great, but would either make me gag or the high was lackluster.

Was wondering are there any other true connoisseur expert growers out there who can relate. I'm feeling alone on my own pot snob island right about now.

I've grown for personal use for a very long time and have developed some pretty good skills. In the past 6 mo I've tried to help some people with their licenses get up and running. The experience with not fulfilling to say the least. Main reason was because I've never made decisions based on $$$. For instance, I don't use HPS for flowering because I like the effect the the added UV has on psycho-activity. I've sampled some offering from some local grow shops and have been pretty disappointed. Smells good, looks great, but would either make me gag or the high was lackluster.

Was wondering are there any other true connoisseur expert growers out there who can relate. I'm feeling alone on my own pot snob island right about now.

Please believe, you are not alone. I have thrown away more samples once tasted, than I have fully smoked. There is so much garbage out there, it boggles the mind.

• 5 months later...

I grow for quality. All of my highest quality buds get made into RSO (Rick Simpson Oil). Well, not ALL, but most.

I love using HPS for flowering. I have compared HPS with MH and most of my strains come out better using HPS.

HPS 400W vs. HPS 1000W can make a big difference on the quality depending on the strain. Most of my strains do seem to come out a bit more tasty when flowered under 400W HPS. I have not been using a 600W HPS long enough yet to have a valid opinion of them in comparison.

I plan to do comparisons between different 1000W bulbs. One comparison I am very interested in doing is with a dual arc 1000W (400MH + 600HPS in one bulb).

I have been growing the same strains for so long now in a side by side 1000W closet (2-1000W HPS), it should be very easy for me to determine which 1000W HPS bulbs can show improvement in the quality for my closet.

One of the most important issues of quality for me is growing all organic and no pesticides.

Pot snob.... yes! and an oil snob too! :D

While you are testing lamps, be sure to try sunpulse mh. I've heard very good things from a grower friend in Washington. The 10k is supposed to be used during flush to boost trichome production.

Have you thought about running 3@600w lamps instead of 2@1000w? Heath Robinson reports that he gets his most efficient crops out of 600w. It can also give you better general light coverage, especially if you are running a light mover.

Btw I select first for potency, then smell, taste, frost, and finally yield. Granted, I won't be seriously running Dr Grinspoon anytime soon, but I might run a Malawi...

Edited by Bison

Why yes, I have considered running 3-600W in lieu of 2-1000W.

After I finish up comparing the 1000W lamps I believe I am going to redesign the flower room to utilize 3-600W. The main issue with doing that is I will have to completely redesign my cooling system and that is going to be a chore.

• 1 month later...

I try to get out and travel, and i have seen meds from $175 to $600 a zip. I have seen immature harvest, pested harvest, some late harvest. C02 abuse. Nutes.

I guess there are two kinds of CGs - one for the quality, real medicine. The other for money, profit. There could be a third - the clueless grower, who can't explain why he uses a certain nute or growing gear, can't explain how PM or mites occur, he/she sees nothing wrong.

I had hoped that farmer's markets would define the direction toward quality - after all customers will always demand the best. This is not true. Customers also want the cheapest and will buy bad looking crap sometimes, cuz its cheap. Customers also pick meds based on something silly, like a purple color or the hair colors, the smell.

I would always grow for quality - as I am my first patient. I will always grow quality, so the next new patient can see what medical marijuana looks like, feels, smells, and tastes.

While you are testing lamps, be sure to try sunpulse mh. I've heard very good things from a grower friend in Washington. The 10k is supposed to be used during flush to boost trichome production.

Have you thought about running 3@600w lamps instead of 2@1000w? Heath Robinson reports that he gets his most efficient crops out of 600w. It can also give you better general light coverage, especially if you are running a light mover.

Btw I select first for potency, then smell, taste, frost, and finally yield. Granted, I won't be seriously running Dr Grinspoon anytime soon, but I might run a Malawi...

I use Sunpulse bulbs and do use the 10 K / 600 watt bulb for the last week of flower. I think it brings the buds to a nice finish. I.m not the most scientific grower but I do think the different spectrum helps the final product

I think more people get into growing with $ in their eyes than with love in their heart. I started growing long before this law with the idea of supplying myself with top shelf bud and not giving over money to some mexican cartel. Once I got good at it things evolved a little, once my father received serious medical relief from it things changed again.

So basically given enough time and ambition anyone can become a "quality" grower. It is not a straight line from point A to point B tho. There are sooooo many variables to work thru...

This to me was a no brainier. Was not even going to say anything, but after seeing the post hit a few times I had to. Since I was a teenager it's been quality over quantity. You can make money with garbage meds I see it all the time, but would you want to be the person with meds that look good, but you yourself would not even smoke? Just my thoughts. SS

I believe that a patients needs help determine the price for me, ive given plenty of meds away. money should not be a motivating factor for a caregiver but growing top quality, properly flushed and bug free medicine to those in need.friends dont let friends grow trash

I believe that a patients needs help determine the price for me, ive given plenty of meds away. money should not be a motivating factor for a caregiver but growing top quality, properly flushed and bug free medicine to those in need.friends dont let friends grow trash

• 3 months later...

I grow for me...sometimes they grow to be quality sometimes they grow to be quanity. I grow for me because it is a hobby. Though I am contemplating letting it go and doing something else.

You need weed they need weed lots need weed and many want weed although quality becomes quanity quanity becomes quality if you speak = money. It is the same. The money does not change color

Quality pays...so does Weight. Pick your poison

Quality is always job 1 for me, im not willing to smoke moo poo, thats why i grow my own to begin with. with proper technique a grower should be able to grow more than enough QUALITY meds with 12 plants. poof poof :bong7bp: :bong7bp: :bong7bp:

I dont even do 12 plants, I may have like 7 -9 most of the time in dif stages, I like to save a lil room in case some one has some sweet clones or seeds! If your just small maybe a pt/c.g your self and have 1 or 2 pts you should have no prob croping 1 or 2 a month than with the sugar leafs and lil buds ya can make some honey oil!. (unless you need more oil for your pt than your gonna needs some nice buds, that will give you both quality and quanity, some one that makes oil can get it to come out the same quality for the most times using sugar leafs and waiste buds, than you can make with all nice budds, you just get a whole lot more with the budds because their is more thc in the buds, it gives you more, its great, but no better than I can make with the so called waiste (sugar leafs and tiny buds)

Peace

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I try to get out and travel, and i have seen meds from $175 to $600 a zip. I have seen immature harvest, pested harvest, some late harvest. C02 abuse. Nutes.

I guess there are two kinds of CGs - one for the quality, real medicine. The other for money, profit. There could be a third - the clueless grower, who can't explain why he uses a certain nute or growing gear, can't explain how PM or mites occur, he/she sees nothing wrong.

I had hoped that farmer's markets would define the direction toward quality - after all customers will always demand the best. This is not true. Customers also want the cheapest and will buy bad looking crap sometimes, cuz its cheap. Customers also pick meds based on something silly, like a purple color or the hair colors, the smell.

I would always grow for quality - as I am my first patient. I will always grow quality, so the next new patient can see what medical marijuana looks like, feels, smells, and tastes.

I think smell tells a lot.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always grown for quality because I am my own patient first. And just like the first post of this thread said, I've tried many at dispensaries that just simply are garbage compared to the quality organic medicine I produce. The thing about the dispensaries and quality is that they don't pay enough money to afford quality medicine and really the only people the dispensaries get thier stock from are people trying to make a buck, not the ones focusing on quality medicine. They also probably make more when they sell the synthetic high thc stuff because it has no terpines (and no medicinal quality) because they were all baked off by 1000 watt lights. And also synthetic buds that have no uv spectrum added are not medicine IMHO so patients have to buy more and also smoke more to relieve symptoms, when a product that is organic with added uv will be much more valuable to patients and will relieve symptoms for a much longer period of time. But it sure is easy to yield a pound from one thousand watt light with a lot of synthetic bloom boosters and weight gainers out there.

• 4 weeks later...