Worm Castings

jamrock

I use worm castings in my initial soil mix. I start with ocean forest from Fox Farms and add about a quart of worm castings to a large bag of soil, along with other amendments. I also make a tea from the worm castings and bat guano to feed the plants throughout the grow. It doesn't produce plants the size of some that I've seen, but the flavors, oooh the flavors. To me, that is oh so important... Peace ... j.b.

tea rocks.... no shelf life. I use it up after after a couple days airation.... its so easy to make u dont need shelf life....just make a gallon...use a gallon. theres life in it...after a couple days the life dies, then its anerobic i believe...either way its no good then. the castings are cheap as can be...or free if u make ur own...just make ur teas as needed and you wont need to worry about shelf life. Dont get confused this isnt just basically a lil nitrogen. its far more than that, way more than that. get a book on the midcrolife in soil...worm tea is like giving ur plant a shot of all those majik goodies.

Ok i'm starting to understand this better, never been an organic farmer myself.. although i would like to.

I have an opportunity for a basically unlimited amount of worm castings, from a large scale worm farm. They are looking to me to help them sell their castings, which they currently do nothing with. They already have bags made up and that will be the bulk of the operation. But i was wondering if i could bottle the tea made from the castings. I have all the equipment to make it on a VERY LARGE scale, but from what i have read that is pretty much worthless, beacuse of the shelf life.

Too bad they don't make oxygen permeable containers that it could be bottled into. Just throwing some ideas around still.

Ok i'm starting to understand this better, never been an organic farmer myself.. although i would like to.

I have an opportunity for a basically unlimited amount of worm castings, from a large scale worm farm. They are looking to me to help them sell their castings, which they currently do nothing with. They already have bags made up and that will be the bulk of the operation. But i was wondering if i could bottle the tea made from the castings. I have all the equipment to make it on a VERY LARGE scale, but from what i have read that is pretty much worthless, beacuse of the shelf life.

Too bad they don't make oxygen permeable containers that it could be bottled into. Just throwing some ideas around still.

I wouldn't mess with making teas commercially really. Without oxygen a microbe-filled tea will soon become a microbe-less tea. That is amazing that you have a business opportunity like that. What part of the state are you in?

I wouldn't mess with making teas commercially really. Without oxygen a microbe-filled tea will soon become a microbe-less tea. That is amazing that you have a business opportunity like that. What part of the state are you in?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the more i have been thinking about it, i may end up trying to market some sort of do it yourself kit if possible, but we will see... I've been reading that when packaging fresh castings into bags (our current business plan), the microbes will soon become anerobic and useless... But i'm sure there are some ways around this. for examples some sort of breathable bag... lots more research to do!

I would love to be able to take this and possibly make and market a cannabis specific blend of other organics, but i have limited knowledge in the subject.

once again, more research to do.

I'm located in macomb/oakland

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm new to this. However I have made alfalfa tea in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I poked a hole thru the lid to feed my air line into. Seems to keep smell down. What works for me is new paint screen strainers used fora 5 gallon bucket. I put my ingredients in the screen then it fits around the bucket. The air stone goes freely in the water. Plenty of mesh to let beasties out and leave solids behind. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

i guess that i'm confused. is there a shelf life on fresh castings when bagged? i'm sure you still get the benefits from nitrogen but does the microbial life die off sitting in that plastic bag i just bought at the getting place?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the more i have been thinking about it, i may end up trying to market some sort of do it yourself kit if possible, but we will see... I've been reading that when packaging fresh castings into bags (our current business plan), the microbes will soon become anerobic and useless... But i'm sure there are some ways around this. for examples some sort of breathable bag... lots more research to do!

I would love to be able to take this and possibly make and market a cannabis specific blend of other organics, but i have limited knowledge in the subject.
once again, more research to do.

I'm located in macomb/oakland

i guess that i'm confused. is there a shelf life on fresh castings when bagged? i'm sure you still get the benefits from nitrogen but does the microbial life die off sitting in that plastic bag i just bought at the getting place?

The microbial life goes dormant until a new food source arrives.

I'm new to this. However I have made alfalfa tea in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I poked a hole thru the lid to feed my air line into. Seems to keep smell down. What works for me is new paint screen strainers used fora 5 gallon bucket. I put my ingredients in the screen then it fits around the bucket. The air stone goes freely in the water. Plenty of mesh to let beasties out and leave solids behind. Hope this helps.

Why filter out the solids if you're growing in soil?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Why filter out the solids if you're growing in soil?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Alfalfa meal has a lot of N in it.  If you added the tea with the solids at the start of or a couple weeks into flower, the solids would possibly be providing nitrogen for longer that you wanted.  By filtering the tea, you give the plants a good boost of N but it won't stick around and cause airy buds father on down the line.  

Plus, the solids are awesome for my compost pile.

P.S.  rabbit pellets are 100% alfalfa and can be used just like alfalfa meal.  Its available year round at TSC and other feed stores.