Cbd,cannatonic For Nerve Pain/damage

Has anyone tried a high CBD strain to treat nerve pain or prevent nerve damage? I have a lot of lasting issues from a bout of shingles and I'm curious about this. A local dispensary has something that's been tested to be 7% CBD but it's probably outrageously expensive, but it would be good to know if it worked before I looked for seeds or clones.

Thanks!

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august092009/cbd_part_3_sc_8-9-09.php

CBD is a very effective neuroprotectant- it stops the damage which lead to neuropathic pain. Conventional treatments for neuropathic pain are rather limited- even addictive opiates don't always work on nerve pain.

While I have not yet tried any of the high cbd strains yet, I have found daily small doses of indicas can almost stop my neuropathy. Acute pain is more difficult, and sometimes for me anyway, sativas work better. You just have to try a lot of strains, and be able to switch meds as tolerances build........shredder

My husband has MS, a nerve disease where the coating on the nerves is damaged so the nerve signals go into the muscles causing painful cramps / spasms. Another thing with him is, the MS apparently caused severe nerve damage in his neck / shoulder which is also causing a lot of pain.

He tried some High CBD spray a couple times, and it worked really, really well. He was amazed. So I'm not sure if it would work for shingles but it sure worked for a guy with MS!

Edit - also that was the Spray, he's never tried smoking or vaping high CBD meds.

Edited by SparklyBuds

So I picked up a gram of Cannatonic that tested at 7% CBD 7% THC... I've been vaporizing it to carbonization (to be sure all the CBD is out). It really is quite amazing. There's no mistaking this for regular THC strains, it's very different. It's the best I've had for nerve pain and anxiety, and remarkably clearheaded. Too bad it's 20/g at the dispensary. Must. Find. Cut. Everyone should have this in their garden.

I Have been making healing cream with oil extracted from high cbd strains for several years , with great sucess

My moms fibromialgia, my back and neck pain, my wife and daughters menstrual cramps, sons pulled muscles...

and many others with various aches and pains, love this stuff ... its applied to the surface of the skin , and it takes about 5 mins to start working, and lasts about 3 hours.... not greasy and even smells good. Will share reciepe with those with pain problems and, for personal use.

Purklize I don't know of anyone that has tested any of the auto flowering plants but from what I understand they are naturally higher in CBD's. From what you described of the cannatonic it sounds alot like the Purple Jems I was growing. Very clear headed and calming with a nice pain relieving quality. I would love to see some get tested, maybe when I grow some more I will have it tested :) It wasn't a hard hitting heart pounding med just smooth and calm.

Purklize I don't know of anyone that has tested any of the auto flowering plants but from what I understand they are naturally higher in CBD's. From what you described of the cannatonic it sounds alot like the Purple Jems I was growing. Very clear headed and calming with a nice pain relieving quality. I would love to see some get tested, maybe when I grow some more I will have it tested :) It wasn't a hard hitting heart pounding med just smooth and calm.

I have heard the same thing about autoflowers. I have tested a few autoflower strains, but there wasn't an unusually high level of CBD present in any of them. I'm not sayng that means that there aren't any CBD rich autos, it's just difficult to find them and impossible to make copies once you do find them. Even with auto strains known for being CBD rich, your chances of getting a CBD rich pheno is at least 1 in 4.

The best way to reliably produce CBD rich meds is to phenotype a strain and select for the characteristics you want. You can identify the THC:CBD ratio of each pheno early on in veg by just testing a few leaves from each seedling. Any of the real chromatography labs - Cannalytics, Iron Labs, Applied Analytical, or myself - has the ability to perform this early analysis.

I have heard the same thing about autoflowers. I have tested a few autoflower strains, but there wasn't an unusually high level of CBD present in any of them. I'm not sayng that means that there aren't any CBD rich autos, it's just difficult to find them and impossible to make copies once you do find them. Even with auto strains known for being CBD rich, your chances of getting a CBD rich pheno is at least 1 in 4.

The best way to reliably produce CBD rich meds is to phenotype a strain and select for the characteristics you want. You can identify the THC:CBD ratio of each pheno early on in veg by just testing a few leaves from each seedling. Any of the real chromatography labs - Cannalytics, Iron Labs, Applied Analytical, or myself - has the ability to perform this early analysis.

How much do the tests run?

Do you know anything about Strawberry cough? The blue cough which is high in CBD, think that is the name, isn't it a cross with strawberry cough? I am wondering if the straw cough might be high in CBD, I have one I am going to be budding soon. If it is I will gladly share clones. I don't have a lot of money to spare so I want to make sure if I test a plant it does have the possibility of being a high CBD plant.

Got some questions for you -

How much does the CBD to THC *ratio* vary within the harvest from a given plant? Does it change according to how high up the plant it is, the density of the bud, the amount of light exposure, bud leaf vs fan leaf vs calyx vs trichome, etc.? I know UV light will cyclize CBD to THC, but have no answers to the other questions.

This stuff is miraculous and it must be made to spread through the community. It's unbelievable it's so hard to find at the moment. I'm going to make a (probably hopeless) effort sometime soon to get a clone from the guy supplying the dispensary...

How much do the tests run?

Do you know anything about Strawberry cough? The blue cough which is high in CBD, think that is the name, isn't it a cross with strawberry cough? I am wondering if the straw cough might be high in CBD, I have one I am going to be budding soon. If it is I will gladly share clones. I don't have a lot of money to spare so I want to make sure if I test a plant it does have the possibility of being a high CBD plant.

I believe the Blue Cough is a cross of Strawberry cough and blueberry, yes. I have yet to run across a CBD rich pheno of Strawberry cough. It's hard to say where the genes that determine whether CBGA is converted to THCA or CBDA came from in that cross. One or both of the parents from that particular cross could have contibuted them, but that doesn't mean every pheno of SC and BB will throw CBD rich offspring.

I don't think I can discuss pricing in the forum, so I will PM you about pricing shortly. :)

Got some questions for you -

How much does the CBD to THC *ratio* vary within the harvest from a given plant? Does it change according to how high up the plant it is, the density of the bud, the amount of light exposure, bud leaf vs fan leaf vs calyx vs trichome, etc.? I know UV light will cyclize CBD to THC, but have no answers to the other questions.

This stuff is miraculous and it must be made to spread through the community. It's unbelievable it's so hard to find at the moment. I'm going to make a (probably hopeless) effort sometime soon to get a clone from the guy supplying the dispensary...

The ratio shouldn't change much, if at all. The gross percentage of each cannabinoid can be affected by those things you mention, but the ratio should remain pretty constant from top to bottom.

I have read that increased levels of UV exposure will make a plant produce more THC to protect the plant. This may or may not hold true for CBD rich strains as well, I'd love to know if that's the case. Maybe if we can spread these CBD rich strains around a bit, we'll be able to confirm that.

I believe the Blue Cough is a cross of Strawberry cough and blueberry, yes. I have yet to run across a CBD rich pheno of Strawberry cough. It's hard to say where the genes that determine whether CBGA is converted to THCA or CBDA came from in that cross. One or both of the parents from that particular cross could have contibuted them, but that doesn't mean every pheno of SC and BB will throw CBD rich offspring.

I don't think I can discuss pricing in the forum, so I will PM you about pricing shortly. :)

Thank you! :)

The ratio shouldn't change much, if at all. The gross percentage of each cannabinoid can be affected by those things you mention, but the ratio should remain pretty constant from top to bottom.

I have read that increased levels of UV exposure will make a plant produce more THC to protect the plant. This may or may not hold true for CBD rich strains as well, I'd love to know if that's the case. Maybe if we can spread these CBD rich strains around a bit, we'll be able to confirm that.

That would be interesting to test for that. I'm game if I can get a CBD one I can take some clones and do a bit of experimenting.

YOO-HOO calling all CBD rich plant owners! Har har

Huh, I heard from someone that they took buds from one plant and sent it to a bunch of testing labs, who all got completely different CBD:THC ratios. It seems really strange to me.

CBD is actually converted to THC by the action of UV light alone. It can be done in a test tube.

Huh, I heard from someone that they took buds from one plant and sent it to a bunch of testing labs, who all got completely different CBD:THC ratios. It seems really strange to me.

CBD is actually converted to THC by the action of UV light alone. It can be done in a test tube.

That does seem strange. Which labs were involved, do you know?

Dumb question I am sure but what is phenotype? How do you do that?\

I am going to try using Emu oil when I have enough product to make a salve. I have it on hand and have read it penetrates 3 layers of skin or it was 3 more layers of skin compared to other oils like the coconut. Have you ever tested Emu oil and its effectiveness? I might try both since I have a patient like me who has diabetic neuropathy. We are going to be the "test" cases for my salves and oils for neuropathy pain. I don't have a high CBD plant on hand, or heck I don't believe I do might have to send you some to test, but the ones I do have on hand I am going to try each one and/or a mix of them in the salves/oils. I am going to use bud instead of the plant material to make a stronger strength. Any suggestions?

This is what I have

Agent Orange

Cali Dream

Funky Monkey

Trainwreck

Strawberry cough

Lemon haze

an afghan strain I never can remember the long name of

white widow, which I am not impressed with this at all

Have a few more I can't think of off hand and would have to go get my book, dang memory!

Edit OG Kush :)

Now the funky monkey, cali dream, and the afghan strain all are really nice. They allow you to function normally and seem to do better with the pain and still allow me to function. I do not know what their ratio is. Since my budget is limited would it be wise to test these to see what their ratios are or would I just be wasting my money?

Not trying to hijack this thread, sorry if it seems like that, but trying to find something that has a higher CBD count and I might have one? :)

Edited by restlesslegs

That does seem strange. Which labs were involved, do you know?

No idea, but I was given the impression quite a few were involved. I could see the quantity of cannabinoids being mistaken more easily, but I have trouble believing that the THC:CBD ratio is going to be off by much, unless someone spends time deliberately developing a crappy quick wash extraction procedure that gets 91% of the THC and 57% of the CBD. :D

Dumb question I am sure but what is phenotype? How do you do that?\

I am going to try using Emu oil when I have enough product to make a salve. I have it on hand and have read it penetrates 3 layers of skin or it was 3 more layers of skin compared to other oils like the coconut. Have you ever tested Emu oil and its effectiveness? I might try both since I have a patient like me who has diabetic neuropathy. We are going to be the "test" cases for my salves and oils for neuropathy pain. I don't have a high CBD plant on hand, or heck I don't believe I do might have to send you some to test, but the ones I do have on hand I am going to try each one and/or a mix of them in the salves/oils. I am going to use bud instead of the plant material to make a stronger strength. Any suggestions?

This is what I have

Agent Orange

Cali Dream

Funky Monkey

Trainwreck

Strawberry cough

Lemon haze

an afghan strain I never can remember the long name of

white widow, which I am not impressed with this at all

Have a few more I can't think of off hand and would have to go get my book, dang memory!

Edit OG Kush :)

Now the funky monkey, cali dream, and the afghan strain all are really nice. They allow you to function normally and seem to do better with the pain and still allow me to function. I do not know what their ratio is. Since my budget is limited would it be wise to test these to see what their ratios are or would I just be wasting my money?

Not trying to hijack this thread, sorry if it seems like that, but trying to find something that has a higher CBD count and I might have one? :)

I can't help you on the Emu oil, first time I've heard of it. hard to keep up with some of this stuff sometimes. Most CBD rich strains I've found have been discovered by accident. IE A grower has some bud that looks great, lots of trichs, but produces very little euphoric effects. Normally a strain like that would get tossed for failing the smoke test, but those are exactly the kind of strains that are often CBD rich.

It can't hurt to do a ratio test on the strains that don't produce much euphoria. I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything that I know produces significant detectable euphoric effects as it is likely to have a fairly high THC to CBD ratio.

No idea, but I was given the impression quite a few were involved. I could see the quantity of cannabinoids being mistaken more easily, but I have trouble believing that the THC:CBD ratio is going to be off by much, unless someone spends time deliberately developing a crappy quick wash extraction procedure that gets 91% of the THC and 57% of the CBD. :D

I've 'heard' stuff like that as well. It all seems to go back to one lab in particular when I've heard it. Not sure if that's what you've heard. There are only a handful of us so...

So was this bud or an extract that was tested. I'm confused as to the specifics of this rumor. :)

Edited by Northern Lab