Indiana Resident Seeks Card

Hey folks, new here, first post. Have some questions I'm hoping to have answered. I will be going to California several times throughout the year to help with the cultivation of a medical marijuana grow operation and am advised to have a card to do so. I have a doctor set up in California who can provide me with a recommendation due to migraine/pain issues I suffer from, but if I could get the same recommendation from Michigan, it would be helpful. My questions..

Is it possible for me to receive a MI recommendation as an Indiana resident? (The doctor in CA granted rec to my friend who did not have a CA identification card)

Would a MI recommendation be recognized in CA?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The application form only asks for a Michigan mailing address

2) The application form has a check-box for forms of identification other than a Michigan Drivers License/ID

3) The FAQ from LARA does not state you have to be a Michigan resident

www.michigan.gov/mmp

Does anyone have a specific citation that states you must be a Michigan resident?

(k) "Visiting qualifying patient" means a patient who is not a resident of this state or who has been a resident of this state for less than 30 days.

by implication this seems to indicate you are a visiting qualifying patient if you are not a "resident" or if u are a resident for less than 30 days.

2) The application form has a check-box for forms of identification other than a Michigan Drivers License/ID

www.michigan.gov/mmp

Does anyone have a specific citation that states you must be a Michigan resident?

Seriously??????

OK, how about this:

A Michigan state law wouldn't cover anyone that wasn't a Michigan resident. If he remains an Indiana resident, or California, then Michigan state laws wouldn't apply to him.

Pretty simple, huh?

www.michigan.gov/mmp

Yes, the application process. You have to be a resident to get either of the qualifying IDs.

Resident also covers anyone who works here or owns property. I got my mmmp card with an Indiana I.D. when I first moved here. I would only attempt to use meds while in state, but basically if you pay taxes in Michigan you can get a card here. Having a legal card for use while you are in Michigan wouldn't be considered fraud imo just insurance. Now if you were using that same card to traffic meds back to your home state then yes that would be fraud.

Resident also covers anyone who works here or owns property. I got my mmmp card with an Indiana I.D. when I first moved here. I would only attempt to use meds while in state, but basically if you pay taxes in Michigan you can get a card here. Having a legal card for use while you are in Michigan wouldn't be considered fraud imo just insurance. Now if you were using that same card to traffic meds back to your home state then yes that would be fraud.

I also know of people who have submitted their paperwork with out of state IDs. The application has a box for other. They simply checked that box, entered their out of state ID number, submitted a photocopy of their out of state ID, and provided a Michigan mailing address. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen a good citation proving you must be a Michigan resident. (If you would like to provide a citation, please include a hyperlink to the source so that more context can be obtained if necessary).

I also know of people who have submitted their paperwork with out of state IDs. The application has a box for other. They simply checked that box, entered their out of state ID number, submitted a photocopy of their out of state ID, and provided a Michigan mailing address. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen a good citation proving you must be a Michigan resident. (If you would like to provide a citation, please include a hyperlink to the source so that more context can be obtained if necessary).

You are wrong. The 'other ID' is the Michigan ID if you do not have a drivers license.

What you could do if you can get a out of state card from california because michigan will recognize other medical marijuana state cards as it say in the act, but I would diffently would worry about LEO in indiana. They will not recognize any medical card for marijuana. I may be wrong , but look it up arizonia issue cards for out of state.

Edited by cali2012

Restorium2 you are correct Michigan residency is a must, however we have been able to submit, for e.g.; US Passports, Tribal ID Cards, Out of State ID's, and Company Employee Photo badges as long as the patient provided supplemental documentation to prove and show residency. Usually with bank statements, tax bills, federal tax returns, etc.

Edited by AlternativeSolutionsPlus

Seriously??????

OK, how about this:

A Michigan state law wouldn't cover anyone that wasn't a Michigan resident. If he remains an Indiana resident, or California, then Michigan state laws wouldn't apply to him.

Pretty simple, huh?

Again, folks looking for loopholes to do something loose and easy will always find them. If you want a Michigan card, be a Michigan resident. Period. That is what the act is set up to do. Don't play loosy goosy or the NEXT set of bills will be set up to address the abuses. This kind of 'we can make it happen if you want it bad ($$$) enough' thinking is what caused the problems that resulted in a 75% supermajority- we gave them a rally cry.

Dr. Bob

Again, folks looking for loopholes to do something loose and easy will always find them. If you want a Michigan card, be a Michigan resident. Period. That is what the act is set up to do. Don't play loosy goosy or the NEXT set of bills will be set up to address the abuses. This kind of 'we can make it happen if you want it bad ($$$) enough' thinking is what caused the problems that resulted in a 75% supermajority- we gave them a rally cry.

Dr. Bob

:goodjob:

333.26424 Qualifying patient or primary caregiver; arrest, prosecution, or penalty prohibited; conditions; presumption; compensation; physician subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty prohibited; marihuana paraphernalia; person in presence or vicinity to medical use of marihuana; registry identification issued outside of department; sale of marihuana as felony; penalty.

4. Protections for the Medical Use of Marihuana.

(j) A registry identification card, or its equivalent, that is issued under the laws of another state, district, territory, commonwealth, or insular possession of the United States that allows the medical use of marihuana by a visiting qualifying patient, or to allow a person to assist with a visiting qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana, shall have the same force and effect as a registry identification card issued by the department.

Straight off LARA website

Correct, that is the visiting patient rule. I believe it allows for a 30 day grace period to get your Michigan card if you plan on staying longer than 30 days. Similar to drivers licenses. Come to Michigan and they let you drive on your old license long enough to get a Michigan license or go back home. But if you want to apply for Michigan programs you need to be a Michigan resident.

Dr. Bob

75% supermajority to open the MMMA, as they just did. 2/3 majority sticks in my head as the number they need to have the law take immediate effect as soon as the Gov signs it. Otherwise if it is 51-65% on a regular bill that is signed by the Gov, it takes effect 3 months after the start of the NEXT session of the house. Check it, but I think that is the confusion between 2/3 and 3/4.

Dr. Bob