Controversial Technique Increases Marijuana Yields... But At What Cost?

Been at it for a year or so now.some strains like it..others not so much.for the most part tho I pinch off quite a few leaves from my plants throughout the cycle.i only pull off leaves that are blocking light directly to a bud site or that are keeping light from the lower half of the plant,needless to say most fan leaves are plucked off.i don't get any buds that are fluffy or airy anymore..not even from bud site at the base of the plant...I noticed tho that u can't just start plucking leaves off at will..u gotta start slowly.

If you can save those leaves and use them , cured they will make a wonderful green tea that can be consumed without anyone the wiser . It looks like regular ice tea and if the leaves were cured properly smells like regular green tea . If you have a tea pot with a very fine screen built in and pour through another fine screener it will help plus you can crumble the leaves into shake before brewing and when your done just spread the wet mess over the back lawn nature will take care of the rest . Before this law I would of never thought of using $100 worth of shake at street prices to make tea but its so good and helps arthritus and fibromylagia stiffness . Head stays clear too once in a while a "strong " batch might give you a slight elevated feeling of euphoria which is better then being distracted by the suffering relieved .

THC is NOT water soluble.  You can make tea all you want and the THC will not go into it.  If you are feeling euphoria, it's a placebo effect.

• 1 year later...

i noticed mezz...but i was taught that to remove fan leaves causes the plant stress and it then spends it's production time rebuilding the fan leaves instead of building the buds...it "want's" fan leaves ?so i have always trained...or moved and tied the buds to achieve lower light....this information / technique seems to be about...remove all the fan leaves and force the plant to feed off the buds...or something like that..it scares me..LOLbut i am a sucker for something new and interesting so i am intrigued...i like "outside the box" ways of thinking and this person seems to be not only well educated, but experienced...of course it could all be a hoax to get traffic to a particular site...but it seems logical....leave the plant only bud sites...and what can it do...but grow them bigger every day...and produce everything for itself from them...kinda like "rent control" LOLhope you all are feeling some relief tonight.... peace and god bless

I know this is an older forum but I signed up just to chime into this particular subject and this comment lol. I understand this is the technique you've learned, but it doesn't mean it's right. Stress doesn't necessarily force the plant into producing more leaves as the originator or this subject was implying and towards the later part of fruiting, the leaves fall anyways as the plants use up most of the nitrogen, why not speed this up by removing them and focusing on bud development towards the mid stage of fruiting? I do a ton of outdoor prunning and I've been very successfull at getting plants that my neighbors have not seen in bloom for 20 yrs to bloom or getting flowering trees to bloom twice in one season, how? Through massive prunning or defoliation :). Ur understanding makes sense but my theorie of this subject is this, when you subject a plant to excessive stress(without killing it of course lol), the plants initial reaction is threat of life. When this happens what do you think nature tells this plant to do? Reproduce reproduce reproduce!!! Self preservation is the mode the plant goes into and logically for me, that would be to preserve the colas/buds, why? Uuuum because the colas/buds are the part of the plant that catches pollen, the bigger/stickier those buds are, the more chance of reproduction, thus the same reason why virgin/non pollinated buds are stickier, they are reaching out for that sweet male nectar. Just my thoughts :)

this is not true C, respectively, the waxy trichome heads will melt in a tea extraction, just like the oils of coffee are extracted into the water. You are right, thc is not water soluble, but nobody is trying ot dilute the thc into solution, only knock it off to fall into the tea.

adding a splash of cream or milk into the tea pot, coffee pot etc will actually put the active ingredients into solution.

I distill perfumes and hydrosols and essential oils of all kinds of herbs using water this way. The separatory funnel runs on the concept of "like dissolves like". This means that if a compound is polar, meaning that it has a dipole, then it can only be dissolved by another polar compound. Following this logic, a non-polar compound can only be dissolved by another non-polar compound. This concept applies to separatory funnel in that there are two phases in the funnel, the aqueous layer is the polar layer, and the organic layer is the non-polar layer. Because these two layers share a surface, any polar substances that were initially in the solution will be pulled into the polar/aqueous layer, and any non-polar substances will be pulled into the non-polar/organic layer. The bottom layer is then extracted. Which layer is on the bottom depends on the densities of the solvents. The vast majority of the time water is used for the aqueous layer, so if the organic layer has a density greater than 1 (the density of water), then the organic layer will be on the bottom, but if the density is less than 1, then the organic layer will be on the top. Once the bottom layer is extracted and the desired layer is isolated, each one(layer) may be removed separately.

on another note I learned that the primary purpose of a cannabis plant is to produce healthy viable offspring. The healthier the plant, the more viable the offspring. If the healthiest plants required a defoliation at a different plant life schedule than is already programmed the leaves would be falling off earlier, naturally. Many plants naturally defoliate for many reasons, seasonal change is the trigger, less frass to feed on, less bio activity in the root zone, slower metabolism etc result. I personally remove damaged, non photosynthesizing leaves, and occasionally one that just gets in the way. If anything is to be expected it may be a faster finish, making the plant believe it is under attack by a local predator. But if it works for you, keep doing it!

some strains respond differently even if you do not damage their life plan. More photosynthesizing produces more terpenes. More leaves perpetuate more photosynthesizing. I dunno, I like leaves on my plants, lots and lots of them.

peace out!

when leaves are peeves

snip to please.

if expectation is the proclamation

to the altercation of the generation

not of the genus impatiens

no altercation or argumentation

a recollection of the introspection

with the rhythm section booming

sound reflection the interconnection of

this house of correction if perfection

is the trumpet section then

allow nature to take it's direction.

earth

when leaves are peevessnip to please.if expectation is the proclamationto the altercation of the generationnot of the genus impatiensno altercation or argumentationa recollection of the introspectionwith the rhythm section boomingsound reflection the interconnection ofthis house of correction if perfectionis the trumpet section thenallow nature to take it's direction.earth

*snaps*

I know this is an older forum but I signed up just to chime into this particular subject and this comment lol. I understand this is the technique you've learned, but it doesn't mean it's right. Stress doesn't necessarily force the plant into producing more leaves as the originator or this subject was implying and towards the later part of fruiting, the leaves fall anyways as the plants use up most of the nitrogen, why not speed this up by removing them and focusing on bud development towards the mid stage of fruiting? I do a ton of outdoor prunning and I've been very successfull at getting plants that my neighbors have not seen in bloom for 20 yrs to bloom or getting flowering trees to bloom twice in one season, how? Through massive prunning or defoliation :). Ur understanding makes sense but my theorie of this subject is this, when you subject a plant to excessive stress(without killing it of course lol), the plants initial reaction is threat of life. When this happens what do you think nature tells this plant to do? Reproduce reproduce reproduce!!! Self preservation is the mode the plant goes into and logically for me, that would be to preserve the colas/buds, why? Uuuum because the colas/buds are the part of the plant that catches pollen, the bigger/stickier those buds are, the more chance of reproduction, thus the same reason why virgin/non pollinated buds are stickier, they are reaching out for that sweet male nectar. Just my thoughts :)

welcome to the boards..

i am excited you want to reinvigorate a past forum post.

no problems.. also i hear what you are saying...

i am so glad you signed up to our forum just to be able to respond to something i said last year... it feels really cool :) very humbling.

anyways..

i could not agree with you more about your presentation of stress factors and plant development...

i have not "mastered this technique" as of yet...

i found this information on defoliation and asked our forum about it... to see if anyone had responses..

it has been... is a popular subject..according to counts...

to foliate or defoliate.. that is the question?

i submit to you every time i strip a plant of its foliage for one reason or another the plant seems to come back stronger and more aware of its surroundings... happier maybe..

i do not profess to advise anyone of the best way to grow or treat cannabis... all i know how to do is report my interactions...

good luck