Wth! Mighty Wash Am I Doing It Wrong? Does It Even Work

wozerdozer

Dang mites done took over. Took all budding plants down exept for a couple that were only a cpl weeks in.

Went to my grow shop and asked the owner what is the best thing to use. And he said hands down Mighty Wash is what I need.

He said it kills them on contact. That it shocks them dead. I defoliated all of my veg plants and got rid of all the contaminated leaves imediatly from the property. I shook up the jug of mighty wash to charge it and sprayed it generously to all surfaces of the plant just like I was instructed to do. Its now 3 hours after I sprayed them and when I looked under the scope I see that only maybe half these lil suckers are dead and the others are still alive.

So much for dead on contact.

Does this stuff only work when it is initially sprayed on or does it keep killing while they feed off of it?

Or did I just get robbed for a 105 dollars for pink water?

If this dont work to get rid of them i might as well hang it up cause they are killing me.

Thanks for any info.

Losing it in sagnasty

Wozer

best: put the plants outdoors in the sun

second best: indoors, for ten bucks spray a tablespoon of Greeenlite Fruit Tree Spray from Lowe's (a pint costs $10) in a gallon of water, twice per week and on alternate days, spray azamax (or anything in the az family with pyrethrins).

Mighty Wash sometimes works, sometimes you lose the grow cause the eggs seem to withstand (surviive) Mighty Wash and the hatch gets the crop.

The sun works--naked hot glaring all day direct sun, by the end of a week the plants are clean.

Edited by pic book

Did you spray in the dark?

I previously used mitey wash with the lights on and it did not seem to work. More recently I saw a forum post where someone talked to the owner of the company and he told them to do it w/ lights out. I still had the old bottle and noticed it said nothing about the effect of lights. Bought a new bottle and now it says spray in the dark. I sprayed the new stuff in the dark and followed with their second step (blue stuff) and it seems to have worked.

oh god I dont like this conversation, Im having a hard enough time w/o mites, (im knocking on wood) I hate spiders but they like the grow tents, so I have a few pet spiders, and I hate ants in the house but dont realy mind seeing them in my grow room, I bought az from the very begining and something else, I am NOT looking forward to a day I have to use it!

I guess it is a good conversation, especialy when we can read how others have gotten rid of them! I was told by a friend if your dwc, you can take it out and give it a shower! I havent tried it, I didnt last in dwc long enough, one thing I always do Is put vasoline on my stalk at the bottom so nothing can just climb down the plant into the roots, but it dont stop em from burrowing if they burrow!

Best of luck to the O.P

Peace

Jim

I think Mighty Wash is great. Worked really well for me. I do think you need to follow up with another application every 3rd or 4th day several times. The little buggers pop out tons of eggs when they think they are dieing. The eggs hatch in 3 days. This stuff worked for me when nothing else did. I used lots of different things and all they seemed to do, at best, was nock the population down. I tried Azamax, neem, rosenthals, and I'm sure a few others I can't think of. One thing you can do that helps is wash the plant with cold water. If you can put it in your tub or a large sink, spray the heck out of it making sure to hit the underside of the leaves. Another thing that has really helped me is do not assume you have erradicated them. Put together a solid pest management program and keep at it. Vigilance has its rewards!

Welcome to the world of the borg... I've tried all sorts of mite control, mighty wash, pyretherin bombs, neem oil, etc, even ladybugs. All of them were moderately effective in the short term but did not stop the problem long term. The one thing with any spray is to make sure you are spraying the entire leaf, particularly the bottom, as that is where the mites like to hang out, and is the most often overlooked when spraying.

Most of these products are intended for use at the beginning of a mite infestation, but it sounds like yours is pretty far advanced (based on the fact that you lost a whole crop.) The only effective treatment I've found at this point are predatory mites. Your local grow shop should be able to order them for you. Around here I pay $50 for 2000. Check them out here: http://organiccontrol.com/predatory-mites-2000-live-adults/ . If you don't mind spending a little more, I'd recommend these guys: http://www.naturescontrol.com/mite.html. Their triple threat packs contain 3 different species of spider mite predators, each of which thrives in slightly different environmental conditions. I've been interested in trying out their spider mite destroyers. Please note that when using these, you should avoid all other insecticides, sprays and foliar feeds for a few weeks beforehand (if possible) and afterward as they will kill the beneficial insects as well as the baddies...

half donkey treatments create the borg....no one solution has ever worked for anyone i know.... i have beat them myself.... i used the azamax....mite rid, and organicide.... the important thing is to keep hitting them, and change it up.... unless your dealing with a small clone most likely you missed something....hit again...with something new.... i did it ever few days for a couple few weeks

I was told by a friend if your dwc, you can take it out and give it a shower!

One thing you can do that helps is wash the plant with cold water. If you can put it in your tub or a large sink, spray the heck out of it making sure to hit the underside of the leaves. Another thing that has really helped me is do not assume you have erradicated them. Put together a solid pest management program and keep at it. Vigilance has its rewards!

Physically rinsing them off with running water seemed to work the best for me. I'd completely submerse the plants that were small enough. (Be carefull! I also snapped a Violater Kush off at the base, very brittle stems.)

Let the plants dry and recover from the soaking and then spray them with neem oil and dish soap every five days.

Repeat as needed.

theres a lot of conflicting information on spider mites. marigolds both attract and repel them, somehow.

You can make a spider mite repellant by finely mincing 2 large garlic cloves and 1 small onion and steeping this overnight in 4 cups of warm water. Strain the mixture and spray it on.

You also can make a soap spray by mixing liquid dishwashing soap with water and spraying or spreading suds on plants.

Mint plants like catnip and peppermint help repel pests like aphids.

Both geranium flowers and marigold plants help repel spider mites. Basil also aids in repelling thrips, aphids and spider mites.

Take note that the French marigold is a favorite with spider mites.

my marigolds got infested with spider mites. the whiteflies loved my basil plants. whiteflies were also crazy on my catnip. so i dont know what to believe.

it might be due to the young basil and marigolds not producing the anti-insect oils yet. so putting in mature plants would do better than seedlings?

I realised that in the garden, the lime plants never get infected with the spider mites. There must be something in lime plants that the spider mites did not like.

So one fine day I decided to squeeze one green lime fruit into a 250ml bottle of water and sprayed a blood flower plant that was covered with spider mites and was a sure goner. To my surprise, the mites totally disappeared within a day. They must have died because I found no trace of them on any of the neighbouring plants which I did not spray.

http://jklmn2007.blogspot.com/2011/01/natural-pesticide-for-spider-mites.html

Mighty Wash is snake oil my friend. I helped a friend with his infestation and we tried this... I swear I could hear the mites laughing at us.

For flowering plants azamax and neem oil are all you got. Just be relentless. Wash with something everyday.Day 1 Azamax,Day 2 Plain water,Day 3 Neem Oil, Day 4 Plain water. Repeat. Use a sprayer that can hold a high amount of pressure and blast them off!

Keep everything lab clean. They will leave.

When I notice the little buggers flourishing, I add an oz. of azamax to 1 gallon of water and water my plants with it. It doesn't eliminate them, but it sure knocks them down. From there an occasional spray of neem or azamax keeps them from coming back in big numbers.

So sorry Wozer. I was wondering how this was going for you. You're probably having nightmares of mites.

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to add my 2 cents re: Mighty Wash.  It's crap.  I've tried it multiple times over the last few months and it's probably the least effective remedy I've tried, and I've used most.  I've gone so far as to remove some infected leaves, dunked them in Mighty Wash to avoid the possibility of missing any adults or eggs, then laid them out to dry.  24 hours I'm looking at maybe a 25% dead at best.  That, my friends, is crap.  I'll guess that the few who died were smothered by whatever soap/surfactant is used in the solution, not the "electrically charged water" that is supposed to be the main ingredient.  I could make the same thing from scratch with a few drops of soap and a quart of water.  Throw in some some neem or essential oils (lavendar, rosemary) and you've got an infinitely better and cheaper alternative.

I have used Neem oil, Azamax, fruit tree spray, Pest strips, Ed Rose End All.....I have heard other folks saying Mighty Wash is snake oil...I will tell you my experiance with it. I had a bad infestation 4 months back...I used mighy wash...I did about 6 treatments with it....I didnt have to use it again until last week..when I noticed one plant started getting them again...In my experiance Mighty Wash has worked better for me than ANYTHING else I have tried. Make sure you spray them with the lights off and leave them off for a few hours after you spray. I believe the frequency of the lights can mess with it and cause it to not be effective. Mighty Wash has been a God send for me and it is all I use now. Its not oil based so it doenst leave that nasty film and taste. I personally cant say enough good about it. It saved me a few crops.

Peace,

Wildman

What I do is crank up co2 to 10000

Ppm and run like hell out of house.It is dangerous but works.

wow that sounds like fun, lets get together, you kill my mites and I will extract bho!  bawahahabooooooom!

Peace

Jim

I've had mites three times in the last 15 years or so.  The only time I had a problem getting rid of them was the first time when I tried just about every product on the market.  Now I use miticide and get rid of them every time right away.  I got tired of screwing around with them.

I had nothing work completely ever except miticide.  Every time I thought I had gotten rid of them they came back a month or two later.  There's not a product on the market except miticide, that I would recommend to get rid of them, and believe me, I've been through every product imaginable.

I've heard people saying they've had success with one product or another, and then they tell me that the mites came back a month later and the same product worked again........until they came back a month later.   Well obviously whatever it is that they're using, isn't working, but they think it is.  If the mites are back within a month or two, you never got rid of them in the first place and should start using a different remedy.

Tried Mighty Wash, seemed to work, but expensive and am dubious of what exactly is in it since the bottle says 99.9% water.

Used SucraShield and it seemed to do just fine for a lot less dollars. Problem with most of these cures is following the directions, i.e. multiple applications and in the dark.

I've tried every mite product on the planet:  Azamax, neem oil, mite-rid, green light fruit tree spray, floramite, ed rosenthals, rastabobs, SNS, miteywash, avid.

I've even used an entire 20lb CO2 tank and opened it inside of a sealed room.  DIDNT DO ANYTHING.

Nothing will completely eliminate mites. I just deal with them and treat them once a week.  It keeps the population down. Make sure you rotate pesticides.

Edited by garyfisher

I had nothing work completely ever except miticide.  Every time I thought I had gotten rid of them they came back a month or two later.  There's not a product on the market except miticide, that I would recommend to get rid of them, and believe me, I've been through every product imaginable.

I've heard people saying they've had success with one product or another, and then they tell me that the mites came back a month later and the same product worked again........until they came back a month later.   Well obviously whatever it is that they're using, isn't working, but they think it is.  If the mites are back within a month or two, you never got rid of them in the first place and should start using a different remedy.

I did an Ebay search for miticide....It came up with several items...Is there a certain brand?....It came up with Azamax and Floromite among others....HJ