Pro-Medical Pot Groups Expecting 1,000 Wednesday

Well slobbertan, I get that this is your vision of the message. My question is what the protest is being billed as. If I am a state senator considering voting on a bill regarding medical marijuana and I see a protest that is heavily seeded with NORML people (I'm aware I misspelled the acronym in my last post and shall edit shortly) then why would that influence my vote? Why would people that want decriminalization influence my vote on a medical bill? That's the problem. The last protest, I believe in April or May, was so heavily seeded with repealtoday people that the impression of anyone walking by would have been that it was a protest for decriminalization. Even the local Lansing news had mostly video shot of the repealtoday tables and signs. The problem is that the legislature sees something they feel needs fixed. People turning out to say marijuana should be legal won't convince them that they shouldn't "fix" the existing law. It probably would convince them of that IF they were considering decriminalizing because then there would be no point to the "fix." But they aren't considering that. So they're going to consider the "fix" regardless.

How much money do you think is spent just organizing this protest? Add in everyone's gas money, time off work, etc. I'm sure it is thousands of dollars. So that money is put forth just to present a polluted messsage that is watered down by the decriminalizing crowd. That money could be better spent buying a lobbyist, and people's time better spent calling/visiting their reps.

Is there a reason why a protest cannot be pulled off without MINORML and/or repealtoday people? What is the motive behind not making it about PURELY medical issues?

Curious about your theory of buying a lobbyist ? How does that work ? Do they sign a contract? Is it by the month/ yr/?

I'm kinda under the impression that there is too much money in politics as it is. It's ruined the democratic principles, that was kind of the main design principles of our Government.

What do we need a lobbyist for anyway the law is already passed,

Why not just eliminate the middle man and start a superpac, if you want to make changes. I think the consensus is We the People dont want any Changes to the Law, We Voted For !

Edited by solabeirtan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about your theory of buying a lobbyist ? How does that work ? Do they sign a contract? Is it by the month/ yr/?

I'm kinda under the impression that there is too much money in politics as it is. It's ruined the democratic principles, that was kind of the main design principles of our Government.

What do we need a lobbyist for anyway the law is already passed,

Why not just eliminate the middle man and start a superpac, if you want to make changes. I think the consensus is We the People dont want any Changes to the Law, We Voted For !

A lobbyist is a hired gun. Negotiate a contract. I'm sure they'll work as much or as little as you want.

If you're a lobbyist for the AARP you walk into a meeting with a rep and they know you represent x number of people. They get input from a professional who is a good speaker, educated on the ideals of the organization, personally knows many of the reps, and DOESN'T wear a "free the weed" button. Hire a professional. All organizations pitch in. The professional can then legitimately say they represent x number of people.

If you think for one second that any large organization in this state gets what it wants just because it exists or just because it beats drums on the lawn of the capitol then you are mistaken. You have to play the game. You may be tired of politics or the process but you aren't getting anything done without it.

I am a michigan football fan. Grew up near ann arbor, did my undergrad in texas. If I go to a pro michigan football rally I am not representing my school, I am there to support michigan football. This is a pro medical marijuana rally, that is the message.

I understand it does not help to have folks holding up legalize it signs but it is my understanding that guidance has been put out as to what is appropriate. If you are that concerned then go act as sign security. Make sure the message stays clear.

I am a michigan football fan. Grew up near ann arbor, did my undergrad in texas. If I go to a pro michigan football rally I am not representing my school, I am there to support michigan football. This is a pro medical marijuana rally, that is the message.

I understand it does not help to have folks holding up legalize it signs but it is my understanding that guidance has been put out as to what is appropriate. If you are that concerned then go act as sign security. Make sure the message stays clear.

Sign security? Really? It's a public place. Anyone can hold any sign they want.

As for your example--first, M go Blue!!!--you wouldn't hold up a Texas A&M sign at a UM football rally. It's one thing to be a warm body. It's another thing entirely to water down the message with your signage and petition tables.

As for guidance, were you there last spring? Was there guidance there? 3 eight foot tables were spread throughout with repealtoday signature gatherers. I personally was approached by 2 different people wandering through the crowd and trying to gather signatures. AND, and this is the best, repealtoday had about 6 sign holders sitting on the steps behind the podium. Anyone walking by would not have known it was a med mj rally unless they stood for 10 minutes to hear a speaker.

If it weren't for the "Drug War" we wouldn't have any problems.

Fact is anyone that has had a card since 4/2009 are the ones being attacked by these current attempts to change the law.

IF they do pass, When they do, we won't need a lobbyist but a Good Lawyer to represent us for the breach of contract suit to be filed.

Breach of contract? Huh? How's that?

Breach of contract? Huh? How's that?

Are you claiming to be this Good Lawyer? The context is that they have yet to fully implement the Law as passed. As evidenced by KPin, BobRedden .....

Trying to make changes to reduce our privacy, mess with the registry, basically make us more vulnerable than we allready are. We paid our Fees, abide by the law. There is insufficient reasons for any of the proposed changes except maybe the two yr law. This is what they do with the proceeds from our register, make laws up to minimize our freedom and peace of mind. We should get some kind of recognition for participating in this " massive voluntary drug trial "

Are you claiming to be this Good Lawyer? The context is that they have yet to fully implement the Law as passed. As evidenced by KPin, BobRedden .....

Trying to make changes to reduce our privacy, mess with the registry, basically make us more vulnerable than we allready are. We paid our Fees, abide by the law. There is insufficient reasons for any of the proposed changes except maybe the two yr law. This is what they do with the proceeds from our register, make laws up to minimize our freedom and peace of mind. We should get some kind of recognition for participating in this " massive voluntary drug trial "

The legislature can make changes. That isn't a breach of contract. You can't sue legislators for making law.

September 19th, 2012 at high noon. We are expecting hundreds of participants. Organizations sponsoring the event are National Medical Marijuana Coalition, Michigan Patients and Caregivers United,

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/viewart/20120917/COMM11/209170302/Marijuana-Advocates-Plan-Protest-September-19th

Patients and Caregivers United ???????????

Address: Warren MI. 48049

Who are they? OH the people that bring you house bill 5580 how nice the people that want to open our law for profit

http://michigandispe...regivers-united

Edited by cristinew

So I'll report my first-hand observations. Giant NORML legalization banner was held up on the steps behind the podium. Matt Abel spoke.

Large pro-dispensary sign was being held front and center.

As it never fails, some yahoo was there dressed as a pot leaf.

T-shirt tables were set up. One table was selling legalization shirts. Another was maybe a bit more benign with some sort of commemorative shirt with today's date on it.

By my rough estimate there were maybe three hundred people there. Maybe 350.

One rather annoying thing, that is neither here nor there, was that it didn't matter where I went in the crowd, I couldn't escape cigarette smoke.

Anyway, as I figured, it seemed more geared toward legalization. If I heard him correctly Victor Vicious spoke pretty adamantly about legalization.

I thought it was pretty clear that the gathering was to protest the proposed bills. There was very little talk from the speakers about all out legalization, yes there was a little. Lots more about people that were tired of the lack of implementation of the Act and prosecution/persecution of patients and caregivers. Many stories of people that were apparently within there legal limits being arrested and prosecuted. Also an announcement that LARA is being sued for not convening the board to address adding qualifications...they are only several years behind. Turn out was not great. I am glad that I went. It was heartening to hear from so many that have been helped by medical marijuana. Please keep in mind, sometimes we have to team up with people that we may disagree with on some issues because we share a common enemy. That common enemy being our states ag and a lot of our politicians.

Thou I'm not against Legalization, nor am I totaly against a protest or rally, but I truly believe that the fact if we are going to protest about Patients and Caregivers rights, Legalization should not promoted all over the place.. When I the onlooker's hear the stories of the PT's then see a banner about legalization right there. I would begin to think they are speaking about reasons to legalize it Vrs Protect us from the guys in the Capital and the bills that are goind to kill the MMA.

It's nice to have a rally for the Patient cause many of us can't get out of the house or rarely do because of health reasons, and a gathering of like hearted people is such a uplifting experiance for the PT and alike, It is on the other hand a shame in my eyes that the true reason they have gathered is overtaken by so many for so many unrelated topics.

What do we think the media will cover, legalization, or the stories about how the bills will effect us all. From past experiance I doubt we will hear about the Important issues and the PT stories, But headlines will read "Pro- Legalization groups gather for blah blah blah".. it really does influnce the apperance of truley why we are there.. JMHO

Trix

:bong2:

Who actualy started this rally? um High Noon sounds very familiar! This isnt the first time there was no clear reason for the rally!

I also understood it was to object the bills going to the senate, Not legalization, not that I wouldnt like that!

Just watching a short video I could see things that just dont realy reflect the sick and c.gs, a woman wrapped in a leaf flag, all the tye dye shirts and just people that looked like they were hippies instead of pt's, I have nothing against any one or how the look, it is everyones choice!

In the interest of trying to get an important message across, we could dress more casual as to look like the average joe or pt ect,

I thought cpu had a Lobbiest. maybe im mistaken, but it seems they have people in the politcians ears.

A lobbiest is the best way to go, when you have something to say to a politician what better way to do it then with someone that works with them all regularly. I have no idea what they cost, prob close to what attnys make an hr! darn I want to be a lobbiest!

As far as like others rallying or protesting or on strike, I think It would be a great Idea to Put a few well dressed people with signs that say something like, MM Pt's support collective bargaining or what ever the protest is, we need to support others and maybe we can get them to support us!

Peace

Jim

I'm going to agree as well. There is a place to let your freak flag fly, it's called the hash bash, takes place every April in Ann Arbor.

As far as trying to gather respect and or sympathy, those photos of the protesters leave a lot to be desired.

The idea was to garner Public Recognition to the efforts designed to thwart the voice of , "We the People... " by the same people that are supposed to be representing us all.

Either they have too much time on their hands, an agenda subsidised by other interests, or some other foreign motivation.

The only problem with those photos is the fact that you're not in any of them !

So I'll report my first-hand observations. Giant NORML legalization banner was held up on the steps behind the podium. Matt Abel spoke.

Large pro-dispensary sign was being held front and center.

As it never fails, some yahoo was there dressed as a pot leaf.

T-shirt tables were set up. One table was selling legalization shirts. Another was maybe a bit more benign with some sort of commemorative shirt with today's date on it.

By my rough estimate there were maybe three hundred people there. Maybe 350.

One rather annoying thing, that is neither here nor there, was that it didn't matter where I went in the crowd, I couldn't escape cigarette smoke.

Anyway, as I figured, it seemed more geared toward legalization. If I heard him correctly Victor Vicious spoke pretty adamantly about legalization.

So, after trying to persuade people not to attend this rally for several reasons, you went to it Cav ?

Humm, do I smell hypocracy in here ?

:watching::watching::watching:

So, after trying to persuade people not to attend this rally for several reasons, you went to it Cav ?

Humm, do I smell hypocracy in here ?

:watching::watching::watching:

Did I try to persuade others not to attend? If so I missed that part. I gave my opinion that I felt it was a bad idea due to the message, or shall I say lack thereof, that was promoted as the reason for the protest. And, as you have seen, it was the car crash that was predicted.

Secondly, I didn't "attend" the protest. More like I was working across the street in the city hall building and afterward walked out and through the crowd to my car over near the state library and historical archives. Yes, I paused momentarily to try and take a listen to the speaker at the podium but I didn't hang around long. It was more like a morbid curiousity that one has when they pass a car wreck. In this case the curiousity was greater though because it was more like a train wreck. After seeing the signs for legalization, pro dispensary, the legalization tees for sale, and the giant NORML legalization banner I grew thoroughly disgusted and walked off. Don't forget the guy dressed as a pot leaf. You always need a token clown at a "protest" I suppose. Did you see the NORML banner used as a backdrop? If that didn't frame the issues I don't know what did.

Thanks for bringing this up though. It gave me an opportunity to vent. :)

Edited by CaveatLector

Did I try to persuade others not to attend? If so I missed that part. I gave my opinion that I felt it was a bad idea due to the message, or shall I say lack thereof, that was promoted as the reason for the protest. And, as you have seen, it was the car crash that was predicted.

Secondly, I didn't "attend" the protest. More like I was working across the street in the city hall building and afterward walked out and through the crowd to my car over near the state library and historical archives. Yes, I paused momentarily to try and take a listen to the speaker at the podium but I didn't hang around long. It was more like a morbid curiousity that one has when they pass a car wreck. In this case the curiousity was greater though because it was more like a train wreck. After seeing the signs for legalization, pro dispensary, the legalization tees for sale, and the giant NORML legalization banner I grew thoroughly disgusted and walked off. Don't forget the guy dressed as a pot leaf. You always need a token clown at a "protest" I suppose. Did you see the NORML banner used as a backdrop? If that didn't frame the issues I don't know what did.

Thanks for bringing this up though. It gave me an opportunity to vent. :)

:lolu: