Police Execute Man For Jaywalking

But For Video: Executed for Jaywalking

Jonathan Cuevas was a jaywalker. That's right, a jaywalker. And jaywalking is an offense. This means that those who are of the view that the simple solution to whatever stems from the commission of an offense is, by definition, justified. After all, Cuevas chose to jaywalk. He chose to commit the offense. So he has no one to blame for his killing than himself.

And if this is what you think, then you have lost any shred of humanity.

From KPCC:

Jonathan Cuevas was out late in Lynwood on October 10, 2010 with two friends walking to a house party. They stopped at a liquor store on Long Beach Boulevard to buy beer and snacks. The group of men jaywalked across the street around 1:45 a.m. when a deputy patrol car pulled up to cite them for an alleged pedestrian violation.

Cuevas ran. The LA County deputy, who inexplicably is unnamed in the report. either wasn't in the mood for this lack of respect or didn't feel like running after a kid down for a jaywalking ticket. So rather than give chase, he shot.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=11PmCs1puOA

While the "coup de grace" makes for a dramatic flair, not a single shot fired can be rationally explained. For jaywalking? We don't kill people for jaywalking. Not even jaywalking plus contempt of cop. It's just not a crime for which the death penalty is imposed, even on the streets of L.A.

But then, it's never quite so simple. The police, who have thoroughly investigated what happened and concluded that the unnamed deputy should get a medal, claim that Cuevas had a gun.

A Sheriff’s department incident report says the deputy involved, Julio Jove, says he saw Cuevas pull a handgun from his waistband and point it at him. But Cuevas' relatives maintain that the surveillance video doesn’t show that.

“It doesn’t show that he makes a threat to the officer. He’s running. He gets shot in the back and he falls

down and the officer stands over him and continues to shoot him,” said Mayra Murrillo, Cuevas’s fiancé and mother of their four-year-old son.

And why would Cuevas point a gun at police officer? To avoid a jaywalking ticket? If anything, it would explain why he ran, but the cop wouldn't know that he had a gun until he searched the dead body lying in the road.

It's unclear from reports whether it's conceded that Cuevas was armed or not. His family's attorney notes that the gun was at first a silverplated gun, though in a photograph it was a black weapon. That's understandable, as the silver gun is way cooler and it would be a shame to waste it on a throwaway.

Regardless, there were no prints from Cuevas on the weapon, but as anyone who has ever crossed a cop on a weapons case knows, it's the police position that it's almost impossible to find fingerprints on a metal gun except when they confirm the prosecution's claims.

The gun is a red herring. Notwithstanding the fact that the video fails to show anything remotely suggesting that Cuevas pulled it on the unnamed deputy, and despite the absurdity of such a claim, he was shot, again and again, in the back as he ran away. There is no theory to explain an officer in fear from a person's back as he ran away. This, of course, didn't stop the police from asserting with absolute certainty that it happened.

Yet, there is not only a lack of focus on what is clearly shown in the video, but the possibility that it was wrong to execute Jonathan Cuevas for the heinous offense of jaywalking was dismissed because the police and district attorney "investigated." After all, if they investigated and decided that this was a righteous shoot, what more is there to say?

Jaywalking. Another proud moment in law enforcement in America.

Posted by SHG at 9/18/2012 7:13 AM

http://blog.simpleju...jaywalking.aspx

Edited by 1lluminated1

Kind of misleading wouldn't you say? Was he shot for jaywalking? Did a cop say, "hey there's a jaywalker, draw your weapons?"

If a suspect is running and makes a motion like he may be drawing a weapon and then gets shot by a cop was the suspect shot for "jogging?"

Maybe at least make the title of your thread intellectually honest instead of propagandizing.

Kind of misleading wouldn't you say? Was he shot for jaywalking? Did a cop say, "hey there's a jaywalker, draw your weapons?"

If a suspect is running and makes a motion like he may be drawing a weapon and then gets shot by a cop was the suspect shot for "jogging?"

Maybe at least make the title of your thread intellectually honest instead of propagandizing.

I have to agree. The way this was written is propaganda. Any LEO anywhere in the US or world for that matter is going to shoot at someone that is pulling a gun, period.

Everything is propaganda. You have to choose what propaganda to believe. I for one will not trust the police who shoots someone in the back. There were far better options in dealing with this situation. The police are not judge, jury and executioner. It does not matter if he ran.

Everything is propaganda. You have to choose what propaganda to believe. I for one will not trust the police who shoots someone in the back. There were far better options in dealing with this situation. The police are not judge, jury and executioner. It does not matter if he ran.

Let's hear those options.

The suspect was reportedly running away as he pulled the gun. So the cop should've just let him go? Good idea. Let a guy go that's bold enough to pull a gun during a police chase. Then when he shoots someone to carjack them to further evade police whose fault is it someone is dead?

But Cuevas' relatives maintain that the surveillance video doesn’t show that.

“It doesn’t show that he makes a threat to the officer. He’s running. He gets shot in the back and he falls

down and the officer stands over him and continues to shoot him,” said Mayra Murrillo, Cuevas’s fiancé and mother of their four-year-old son.

I bet L.A has more guts than saginaw, now that is place where all the citizens should be pitching a beach! Im pretty sure L.A is gonnna have problems over this one! why is it that some people can only post doom and gloom?

If this is a place to get things off of your chest instead of a place for pt's and c.g's I guess I can play that way too! :cigar:

Peace

Jim

what happens when a citizen shoots a trespasser on their own private property, but it's proven that the trespasser was in the process of running away?

Trespasser could be Usain Bolt and running so fast his feet are smoking. You reasonably think he is pulling out a gun to shoot as he runs and you have the green light to shoot. So you ask what happens--well, if it were my property what happens is that Bolt is dead. Where in the law or in common sense does it say that someone running from you cannot also be taking potshots and using deadly force? Your "logic" suggests that someone running from you cannot possibly harm you.

Why does everyone assume that the guy had a gun? Chances are, the cops planted the gun. They do it all the time. It is SOP for them to carry guns to drop, in case they need to cover up an abuse of power. If a minor confrontation starts with someone running away, they are not presenting a danger, and do not deserve to be shot in the back.

Why does everyone assume that the guy had a gun? Chances are, the cops planted the gun. They do it all the time. It is SOP for them to carry guns to drop, in case they need to cover up an abuse of power. If a minor confrontation starts with someone running away, they are not presenting a danger, and do not deserve to be shot in the back.

I think people "assume" that he had a gun because, well, a GUN WAS FOUND ON HIM! How is it that the chances are that a gun was planted? How is it you are coming up with that probability? Looking at the situation I would guess that chances are he HAD a gun. If he thought it was truly just a jaywalking issue then why would he run? Unless, of course, he was packing and didn't want to get caught or unless he had warrants, etc.

And I agree that a minor confrontation shouldn't end with someone killed but obviously it escalated. If he pulled a gun then he's going to get shot. If I have a minor confrontation with my neighbor about his dog barking all night and then he runs away from me while pulling a gun is that still minor? How do you not get that? Anyone that pulls a gun on me would get shot. I don't care if they're dancing a ballet or whistling dixie while doing it.

Lastly, we don't know all the facts yet. This guy's family claims that his prints weren't found on the gun at the scene. How would they know that? The police lab doesn't just give out that info to the public during an ongoing investigation. They also claim the video shows he didn't pull a gun. Did you watch the video before commenting here? I did. It is so grainy and at night and from so far away that there is no way to tell if a gun was pulled. I'm sure it is being analyzed and I'm sure we'll get a better answer on that.

If he didn't pull a gun then obviously the cop should go down for murder. But I don't know, and you don't know, and to rush to judgment and say "chances are" that the cop planted the gun and that the cop "executed" the person is just plain stupid. Would you like those assumptions being made if it were YOU who shot someone whom was running from you while pulling a gun?

"SOP to carry drop guns" I lol'ed. Are they standard issue, do SOP mention specifications like "must be revolver, taped handles, insert mixed batch of ammunition"

the article was slanted, why not "cops shoot man running away with gun"

Edited by The Digital Nomad

I bet L.A has more guts than saginaw, now that is place where all the citizens should be pitching a beach! Im pretty sure L.A is gonnna have problems over this one! why is it that some people can only post doom and gloom?

If this is a place to get things off of your chest instead of a place for pt's and c.g's I guess I can play that way too! :cigar:

Peace

Jim

It was posted here because this is law enforcement section. There are other sections for patients and caregivers. I don't find it to be doom and gloom. I find it interesting lol!

No one knows the true story lol! But cops have killed so many innocents that people are beginning to not believe a god darn thing out of their mouths.

And to answer the question about shooting a trespasser in the back? In most places you'll end up bankrupt and in jail for murder or manslaughter after a very lengthy legal battle.

I think people "assume" that he had a gun because, well, a GUN WAS FOUND ON HIM! How is it that the chances are that a gun was planted? How is it you are coming up with that probability? Looking at the situation I would guess that chances are he HAD a gun. If he thought it was truly just a jaywalking issue then why would he run? Unless, of course, he was packing and didn't want to get caught or unless he had warrants, etc.

And I agree that a minor confrontation shouldn't end with someone killed but obviously it escalated. If he pulled a gun then he's going to get shot. If I have a minor confrontation with my neighbor about his dog barking all night and then he runs away from me while pulling a gun is that still minor? How do you not get that? Anyone that pulls a gun on me would get shot. I don't care if they're dancing a ballet or whistling dixie while doing it.

Lastly, we don't know all the facts yet. This guy's family claims that his prints weren't found on the gun at the scene. How would they know that? The police lab doesn't just give out that info to the public during an ongoing investigation. They also claim the video shows he didn't pull a gun. Did you watch the video before commenting here? I did. It is so grainy and at night and from so far away that there is no way to tell if a gun was pulled. I'm sure it is being analyzed and I'm sure we'll get a better answer on that.

If he didn't pull a gun then obviously the cop should go down for murder. But I don't know, and you don't know, and to rush to judgment and say "chances are" that the cop planted the gun and that the cop "executed" the person is just plain stupid. Would you like those assumptions being made if it were YOU who shot someone whom was running from you while pulling a gun?

:thumbsu::goodjob::pic:

Not eliminate... just significantly downsized. I don't feel safer knowing the PD has armored tanks rolling through my small MI city.

move to iran, isreal. syria! then you will feel better!

Best of luck to you, dont let home land security bite ya in the butt on the way out!

Peace

Jim