We are wrapping up with a comprehensive voting guide.

If anyone has strong opinions about any candidate running in November please discuss here.

I'd like to personally thank Legacy for the great work he put into his "friend or foe" spreadsheet.

Obviously time is extremely limited, so please help.

Tuscola County. State Rep: Terry Brown (D) Dan Grimshaw would be a terrible pick imo for our causes.

Sheriff: Lee Teschendorf ® Chris Rogner by all accounts is a good guy but I do not know where he stands on MMJ. Sheriff Teschendorf on the other hand voted for this law and has been as hands off as can be.

Probate judge: Nancy Thane (?) She comes recommended to me by one of the lawyers in the area that is Pro MMJ.

Circuit court: Robert Betts ® Same as above.

That is all I have for now.

Kurt Haskell (D) in District 7. which should be Ann Arbor/Adrian area.... Supports Fed Decriminalization of Cannabis, Supports the MMMA as we the people passed it, and is running for the Federal Congressional Seat against the Republican Incumbent. Kurt is what I would call a Libertarian in a Democratic Party Coat.

Edited by Timmahh

I use the D and R method. Works 99% of the time. That 1% isn't going to hurt us that much.

You might find a D that votes against what you want once in a while. And an R might vote with you once in a while. But the overall track record tells the tale. When the two sides don't really work well together you need to stack the deck to get anything done right and keep the enemy at bay. That's the BIG picture.

kurt haskell is a lawyer.

kurt and his wife were passengers on the christmas underwear bomber plane (and now suffer PTSD from it).

he is running because he couldnt get any response from his represenatives with reguards to his witness testimony. they witnessed how that guy got escourted through security with no passport and onto that plane headed for detroit.

so yeah, vote for kurt!

i've been following his blog and his story on mlive.

Resto, that is way off base. What did the democrats do for us prior to the passing of this law? Answer: Nothing. Keep that in mind when you are casting your ballot.

I know you are wise enough to realize that #1 giving one party too much power is terrible and #2 In local level elections the R and D mean next to nothing.

Edited by SFC

kurt haskell is a lawyer.

kurt and his wife were passengers on the christmas underwear bomber plane (and now suffer PTSD from it).

he is running because he couldnt get any response from his represenatives with reguards to his witness testimony. they witnessed how that guy got escourted through security with no passport and onto that plane headed for detroit.

so yeah, vote for kurt!

i've been following his blog and his story on mlive.

PTSD I got mine from the Oakland County Court's

Resto, that is way off base. What did the democrats do for us prior to the passing of this law? Answer: Nothing. Keep that in mind when you are casting your ballot.

I know you are wise enough to realize that #1 giving one party too much power is terrible and #2 In local level elections the R and D mean next to nothing.

It's called a straight ticket, not 'off base'. I thought you might have heard of that. It's not uncommon these days. Things are all too predictable to do otherwise. I'm not into watching a slug fest where we always lose. I'm into a quick win because we have an overwhelming majority everywhere. The D nuke. BOOM

US rep District 1: Dan Benishek® and Gary McDowell(D) both support medical marijuana. (yea, we are one of the lucky ones)

Michigan House District 108th: Incumbant Ed McBroom® completely opposes Medical marijuana. Sharon Gray(D) supports medical marijuana.

Dickinson County Prosecuting Attorney: Lisa Richards® will convict. Daniel Anderson(D) will follow and protect the law.

Dickinson County SHeriff: Incumbant Scott Cellelo(D) is neutral. Steve Mulka(I) has said he could care less as long as you follow the law.

Not sure I could ever support Bishop ® for prosecutor in Oakland County. He is a terribly right wing wanker, and while Cooper did in fact go along with the Bouchard rage against mmj, perhaps she has learned to tone it down a bit. Guaranteed that Bishop would not be our ally. He will say anything to get elected, but then look out.

Besides that Resto which makes no sense, give us the Bay county run down. Or do you just yap without ever actually listening to candidates?

Ah, that's easy. My area votes for the Democratic Party almost exclusively. The only Republican choice to speak of (none on the ballot) is the sheriff. Who would vote for a Republican sheriff? Our ballot is a no brainer.

How about the proposals???

PROPOSAL 12-1

A REFERENDUM ON PUBLIC ACT 4 OF 2011 -

THE EMERGENCY MANAGER LAW

Public Act 4 of 2011 would:

·
Establish criteria to assess the financial condition of local government units, including school districts.

·
Authorize Governor to appoint an emergency manager (EM) upon state finding of a financial emergency, and allow the EM to act in place of local government officials.

·
Require EM to develop financial and operating plans, which may include modification or termination of contracts, reorganization of government, and determination of expenditures, services, and use of assets until the emergency is resolved.

·
Alternatively, authorize state-appointed review team to enter into a local government approved consent decree.

Should this law be approved?

proposalBottom.gif PROPOSAL 12-2 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-2

A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION

REGARDING COLLECTIVE BARGAINING

This proposal would:

·
Grant public and private employees the constitutional right to organize and bargain collectively through labor unions.

·
Invalidate existing or future state or local laws that limit the ability to join unions and bargain collectively, and to negotiate and enforce collective bargaining agreements, including employees' financial support of their labor unions. Laws may be enacted to prohibit public employees from striking.

·
Override state laws that regulate hours and conditions of employment to the extent that those laws conflict with collective bargaining agreements.

·
Define "employer" as a person or entity employing one or more employees.

Should this proposal be approved?

proposalBottom.gif PROPOSAL 12-3 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-3

TO ESTABLISH A STANDARD FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY

This proposal would:

·
Require electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

·
Limit to not more than 1% per year electric utility rate increases charged to consumers only to achieve compliance with the renewable energy standard.

·
Allow annual extensions of the deadline to meet the 25% standard in order to prevent rate increases over the 1% limit.

·
Require the legislature to enact additional laws to encourage the use of Michigan made equipment and employment of Michigan residents.

proposalBottom.gif PROPOSAL 12-4 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-4

TO ESTABLISH THE MICHIGAN QUALITY HOME CARE COUNCIL

AND PROVIDE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING

FOR IN-HOME CARE WORKERS

This proposal would:

·
Allow in-home care workers to bargain collectively with the Michigan Quality Home Care Council (MQHCC). Continue the current exclusive representative of in-home care workers until modified in accordance with labor laws.

·
Require MQHCC to provide training for in-home care workers, create a registry of workers who pass background checks, and provide financial services to patients to manage the cost of in-home care.

·
Preserve patients' rights to hire in-home care workers who are not referred from the MQHCC registry who are bargaining unit members.

·
Authorize the MQHCC to set minimum compensation standards and terms and conditions of employment.

proposalBottom.gif PROPOSAL 12-5 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-5

TO LIMIT THE ENACTMENT OF NEW TAXES BY STATE GOVERNMENT

This proposal would:

Require a 2/3 majority vote of the State House and the State Senate, or a statewide vote of the people at a November election, in order for the State of Michigan to impose new or additional taxes on taxpayers or expand the base of taxation or increasing the rate of taxation.

This section shall in no way be construed to limit or modify tax limitations otherwise created in this Constitution.

proposalBottom.gif PROPOSAL 12-6 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-6

REGARDING CONSTRUCTION OF

INTERNATIONAL BRIDGES AND TUNNELS

This proposal would:

·
Require the approval of a majority of voters at a statewide election and in each municipality where "new international bridges or tunnels for motor vehicles" are to be located before the State of Michigan may expend state funds or resources for acquiring land, designing, soliciting bids for, constructing, financing, or promoting new international bridges or tunnels.

·
Create a definition of "new international bridges or tunnels for motor vehicles" that means, "any bridge or tunnel which is not open to the public and serving traffic as of January 1, 2012."

PROPOSAL 12-1

A REFERENDUM ON PUBLIC ACT 4 OF 2011 -

THE EMERGENCY MANAGER LAW

Public Act 4 of 2011 would:

·
Establish criteria to assess the financial condition of local government units, including school districts.

·
Authorize Governor to appoint an emergency manager (EM) upon state finding of a financial emergency, and allow the EM to act in place of local government officials.

·
Require EM to develop financial and operating plans, which may include modification or termination of contracts, reorganization of government, and determination of expenditures, services, and use of assets until the emergency is resolved.

·
Alternatively, authorize state-appointed review team to enter into a local government approved consent decree.

Should this law be approved?

proposalBottom.gifPROPOSAL 12-2 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-2

REGARDING COLLECTIVE BARGAINING

This proposal would:

·
Grant public and private employees the constitutional right to organize and bargain collectively through labor unions.

·
Invalidate existing or future state or local laws that limit the ability to join unions and bargain collectively, and to negotiate and enforce collective bargaining agreements, including employees' financial support of their labor unions. Laws may be enacted to prohibit public employees from striking.

·
Override state laws that regulate hours and conditions of employment to the extent that those laws conflict with collective bargaining agreements.

·
Define "employer" as a person or entity employing one or more employees.

proposalBottom.gifPROPOSAL 12-3 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-3

TO ESTABLISH A STANDARD FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY

This proposal would:

·
Require electric utilities to provide at least 25% of their annual retail sales of electricity from renewable energy sources, which are wind, solar, biomass, and hydropower, by 2025.

·
Limit to not more than 1% per year electric utility rate increases charged to consumers only to achieve compliance with the renewable energy standard.

·
Allow annual extensions of the deadline to meet the 25% standard in order to prevent rate increases over the 1% limit.

·
Require the legislature to enact additional laws to encourage the use of Michigan made equipment and employment of Michigan residents.

proposalBottom.gifPROPOSAL 12-4 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-4

TO ESTABLISH THE MICHIGAN QUALITY HOME CARE COUNCIL

AND PROVIDE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING

FOR IN-HOME CARE WORKERS

This proposal would:

·
Allow in-home care workers to bargain collectively with the Michigan Quality Home Care Council (MQHCC). Continue the current exclusive representative of in-home care workers until modified in accordance with labor laws.

·
Require MQHCC to provide training for in-home care workers, create a registry of workers who pass background checks, and provide financial services to patients to manage the cost of in-home care.

·
Preserve patients' rights to hire in-home care workers who are not referred from the MQHCC registry who are bargaining unit members.

·
Authorize the MQHCC to set minimum compensation standards and terms and conditions of employment.

proposalBottom.gifPROPOSAL 12-5 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-5

TO LIMIT THE ENACTMENT OF NEW TAXES BY STATE GOVERNMENT

This proposal would:

Require a 2/3 majority vote of the State House and the State Senate, or a statewide vote of the people at a November election, in order for the State of Michigan to impose new or additional taxes on taxpayers or expand the base of taxation or increasing the rate of taxation.

This section shall in no way be construed to limit or modify tax limitations otherwise created in this Constitution.

proposalBottom.gifPROPOSAL 12-6 proposalTop.gif

PROPOSAL 12-6

REGARDING CONSTRUCTION OF

INTERNATIONAL BRIDGES AND TUNNELS

This proposal would:

·
Require the approval of a majority of voters at a statewide election and in each municipality where "new international bridges or tunnels for motor vehicles" are to be located before the State of Michigan may expend state funds or resources for acquiring land, designing, soliciting bids for, constructing, financing, or promoting new international bridges or tunnels.

·
Create a definition of "new international bridges or tunnels for motor vehicles" that means, "any bridge or tunnel which is not open to the public and serving traffic as of January 1, 2012."

michigan already has a rule to get 10% by 2015?

i dont see the problem increasing it to 25% by 2025.

you know how much money michigan could make selling power if they made a hydro plant in the detroit river?

lots.

of course, it wouldnt be good if they called the incinerator a 'renewable energy' :(

Detroit is home to one of the world’s largest incinerators. That facility burns around 800,000 tons of trash every year.

i've never read the michigan constitution. i actually didnt even know we had one.

here, if anyone else wants to give it a read:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/constitution.pdf