How To Invest In Legalized Marijuana

washtenaut

...History tells us that the cannabis green rush has been thought to have arrived several times only to find it wasn't the right time.  This time, with the current rise in prices, could be another spike just waiting on the downside.  If you buy stock now you may have to ride out another crash in the sector.  But, the next waves of public interest seem to be right around the corner so I don't think the crash values will last very long before rising again. 

If you think these businesses will make money eventually it is either this very rise that will continue or the next one, or possibly the next one.  Eventually the time will be upon us.  When the time arrives the businesses that do rise will do so incredibly quickly, just like they have with this run up.    ...

So, anyone following the cannabis stocks knows that we have had a sector crash since March 8th.  I don't think that I am alone in still seeing the potential of the Green Rush though I think with many investors still smarting from the recent sector crash the question becomes, is there another sector rise coming anytime soon? 

Will the 2014 elections cause a sector run-up and if so, when will the turn around start?  August, September, October?  Will rescheduling when it comes, cause a sector rise?

Where’s the Canadian Medical Marijuana Licenses?

The flood of mining companies petitioning Health Canada for a license has petered down to a trickle in recent weeks after Canadian Securities Administors issued a warning to investors questioning the ability of the would-be licensed producers to legally produce a single plant. Since the issuance of a grand total of 12 licenses in 2014, the process appears to have come to a grinding halt, and no more licenses appear to be forthcoming in the immediate term.

What does this mean for investors left holding the empty baggie?

http://www.midasletter.com/2014/07/wheres-canadian-medical-marijuana-licenses/

re: OrganiGram ...

The company, which received its license in March, began production later in the month and will start shipping the product next week. It has more than 1,000 patients on the waiting list to receive the drug. "

Your info seems to be in conflict :  REUTERS , 

Edited by solabeirtan

re: OrganiGram ...

The company, which received its license in March, began production later in the month and will start shipping the product next week. It has more than 1,000 patients on the waiting list to receive the [/size]drug.[/size] [/size]"

Your info seems to be in conflict :  REUTERS ,

The artical I posted said the licenses trickled down to just 12. I can't find anything to refute that. What's the conflict?

Yep, seems the best way to invest in MMJ is to buy a seed and plant it.

Back to you wash...

That is pretty good advice.  For the last 5 months, it would have been way more profitable than investing in the cannabis stocks.  From late December of 2013 to March of 2014 though, even magic cannabis beans from Jack couldn't keep up with gains in the cannabis stock sector.

Check out the http://marijuanaindex.org/   It seems to be recovering a bit, overall.  Just my opinion, but I think that many cannabis stocks will start to gain some traction going into the elections in November.  Historically it seems that IF there is going to be an election lift to the sector, it starts somewhere around this time of year.

Some of the stocks that rose last time around have been proven to be poor choices.  They are losing a lot of money and with legalization taking longer than they thought, they will need to find new sources of funding in order to remain viable companies.  In other words, we now know more about these businesses and we now know that some will not survive.  It will likely be a smaller subset of companies that rise this time around.

So, which of the cannabis companies stand to gain by election successes in Oregon, Alaska, and Florida or by the increased awareness brought on by the election? 

Regarding the Canadian companies, they have a different set of catalysts tied to the Canadian laws regarding home growing.  I think the Health Canada legal challenge to home growing returns to their courts in February 2015

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bad news. someone at the DEA found out that there were marijuana stocks on the stock market!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/us-canada-marijuana-investors-idUSKCN0HZ0ZY20141010

its interesting the DEA thinks about going after small investors. it cant go after the big ones like the banks now can it? nor can it go up against NYSE or NASDAQ, where some of these stocks are listed.

i guess we're going to get a huge shakeup very soon when the DEA and SEC get around to 'supercropping' the weed stocks out of the stock markets. its gonna be a bumpy ride!

Here's an update on X- NM Gov Gary Johnsons'   CanaBusiness escapades: 

"Ebola.com Purchased for $200K by Marijuana Company. And It Gets Stranger From There...

Times article

In an unrelated deveplopement [...looking for links]...  The UK Health minister declined to approve GWs' Sativex, due to it's excessive cost ...

theGuardian

Edited by solabeirtan

They finally found the only real side effect from legal cannabis; Brokeness

Saw it coming for years now. 

It's an old lesson a lot of us learned a long time ago; You don't get rich off of cannabis unless you stole it. GW took the long road to learn their lesson. The dispensaries in America are learning it. There's some decent money to be made growing and selling it for a fair price. Everything else is smoke and mirrors with a little 'stole it' mixed in. I once thought that a good cannabis seller would either get rich or get busted. Turns out you either get smart or get busted.

you do strange math from 16 years to 12 months to 30 days to get that number.

why not just do /16 and then /365 ? 256,849 per day :P because some months have 30 and some have 31 days, but theres almost always 365 per year! :P

do you think the thesis did the wrong calculations?

or do you think that amount of plants is possible? cuttings, clones, mother plants, greenhouses...

they sell sativex in like 20 countries. i forgot how many RX, something like 1-2 million rx per year?

so lets say 4oz oil per month per person rx. x 12 is 48oz per year of oil.

then take that to bud and you get 480oz of bud per year = 30 pounds per person marijuana per year.

maybe 8oz per plant yield?

so 480oz bud to turn into oil / 8 oz per plant yield = 60 plants per year.

so you'd need 60 plants per year per person. so with 1.5 million rx thats 90 million plants per year.

hey the math works out! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some interesting comments on the Michigan Cannabis Economic environment and how it needs fixing

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cannabis-science-subsidiary-michigan-green-175900815.html

See the link for full story.  here is a snippet

"MGT has continued to work with key legislators in Michigan to rectify the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act of 2008.  Michigan's medical cannabis program has not seen the success in other states and if proper legislation can be implemented then a proper cannabis economy with integrity can begin to function, we believe we are playing a key role in this outstanding progress. The participants will flourish under proper legal protection that law enforcement can embrace, and the State of Michigan and its citizens will benefit substantially," stated John Dalaly, CEO of Michigan Green Technologies.

http://www.michigangreentechnologies.com/

• 2 months later...

mentor's first quarter report fails to mention the shareholder lawsuit.

does mention that all operations are cash negative and has enuf cash to hemmorage green blood and die in 6 to 18 months.

sell at the market while there is a market.  I'm in at 3 cents per share or less, so easy for me to say, i'm gonna come out dandy and owe taxes.

but get out of mntr, the boat is sinking.