Is It Right For Me?

brennang313

Hi, I am a 16 year old student from Grosse Pointe Michigan who suffers from serious migraines on a daily basis. I started having them at a young age but only recently have they flared up for what me, my doctor, my mother, and my psychiatrist find to be no reason. I have not been able to attend school since November 7th due to having a migraine every single day.

Both my doctor and my psychiatrist have prescribed me numerous medications (painkillers + prevention meds) and none of them work or have serious side affects.

So my question, would Medical Marijuana be right for me? I have read it can be the best medicine to treat migraines and pain in general. I have used it before for recreational use but never with a migraine so I couldn't tell you how it affects me in treating my pain.

Also, what would be the best way to approach my mother or doctors about this?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to some feedback.

I know of many people who use medical cannabis for severe migraine headaches i know that cannabis works on mine but everyones different and seeing your a minor i am not totally sure you can get a card without your parents consent maybe someone else can chime in with a better idea of the process for minors obtaining a card and if its possible here in Michigan.

I know of many people who use medical cannabis for severe migraine headaches i know that cannabis works on mine but everyones different and seeing your a minor i am not totally sure you can get a card without your parents consent maybe someone else can chime in with a better idea of the process for minors obtaining a card and if its possible here in Michigan.

Minor needs two Dr. certs and parental consent and the CG can only be a parent/guardian.

which medications did they give you for the migraines?

i am no doctor. i know a few of those medications they will start you on a very very low dose to make sure there is no bad side effects, then they increase the dose slowly over weeks. nov7 to nov 26 is only two weeks, it may not be in your blood enough to affect your migraines.

i wouldnt wish migranes on my worst enemy.

if you think medical marijuana may help you, try it and find out.

how to approach your mother/doctor? good question.

the way i would do it is to tag-team!

call your doctor and ask his/her medical opinion on mmj. if he supports it, ask if he could help you to talk to your mother about it.

if your doctor does not support it... well you may have to find another doctor.

or try finding a family member/relative who supports medical marijuana.

sometimes they can help explain things.

maybe a close family friend, priest, mailman, hell i dunno, ask everyone.

your post reminded me of this post from august.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/40967-medical-marijuana-for-chronic-daily-headache/page__fromsearch__1

it was a similar question from a similar young man, so there may be some answers in there for you.

I totally empathize with you, but like these guys said, to get a card legally you would need the signature of both parents and they would have to be your caregiver. But you know, when many of us were 16.... I digress, you should really discuss it with your parents. Do you have definite migrane triggers? Do you have the early warning when one is coming? For me I have found I can often stop or greatly reduce the severity of a migrane by slamming an energy drink (redbull) at the very first sign of one coming.

Whether you are male or female you are also under the influence of a ton of hormones. I used to get migranes frequently as a teenager but in my 20's they disappeared. I honestly did not even know what they were then, I always blamed something I ate. They reappeared again around 30 when I was under a ton of stress. So there you go, hopefully you can learn to avoid the triggers for you and how to attack when one hits. Good luck

Show this to your parents. http://www.druglibra...l/omr_russo.htm

Ask them to look at the studies with an open mind ask them to consult with a reputable cannabis friendly doctor. I'm sure you will be able to find one here on the MMMA site.

My son has had migraines since he was in junior high and cannabis has helped him immensely.

Abstract: Cannabis, or marijuana, has been used for centuries for both symptomatic and prophylactic treatment of migraine. It was highly esteemed as a headache remedy by the most prominent physicians of the age between 1874 and 1942, remaining part of the Western pharmacopoeia for this indication even into the mid twentieth century. Current ethnobotanical and anecdotal references continue to refer to its efficacy for this malady, while biochemical studies of THC and anandamide have provided a scientific basis for such treatment.

The author believes that controlled clinical trials of Cannabis in acute migraine treatment are warranted.

Ethan Russo, M.D. mailto:ptm5739@montana.com

Clinical Child and Adult Neurologist

Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Washington

Adjunct Associate Professor of Pharmacy, University of Montana

Address:

Department of Neurology

Western Montana Clinic

515 West Front Street

Missoula, MT 58907-7609

Phone: (406) 329-7238

FAX: (406) 329-7453

E-Mail: mailto:ptm5739@montana.com

I

n 1941, Cannabis preparations were dropped from the United States Pharmacopeia (U.S.P.), but the following year, the editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association still advocated oral preparations of Cannabis in treatment of menstrual (catamenial) migraine (Fishbein, 1942). This practitioner seemed to prefer Cannabis to ergotamine tartrate, which remains in the migraine armamentarium, some fifty-five years later. Thus, Cannabis was touted in eight consecutive decades in the mainstream Western medical literature as a, or the, primary treatment for migraine. As late as 1957, despite governmental controls in that country, Cannabis drugs retained a role in the indigenous medicine of India (Chopra and Chopra, 1957), and other countries.
Edited by Wild Bill

Show this to your parents. http://www.druglibra...l/omr_russo.htm

Ask them to look at the studies with an open mind ask them to consult with a reputable cannabis friendly doctor. I'm sure you will be able to find one here on the MMMA site.

My son has had migraines since he was in junior high and cannabis has helped him immensely.

I

Thanks! My parents support medical marijuana but I don't know if they'd support me getting it. I've attempted to hint at it recently but my mom isn't catching on. I have a neurologist appointment tomorrow so I will discuss with him.