Cbs: 83% Now Accept Mmj. Up From 77% Last Year.

peanutbutter

Please leave our law alone. Listen to the people.

http://norml.org/news/2012/12/06/cbs-news-poll-83-percent-of-americans-support-therapeutic-use-of-cannabis

CBS News Poll: 83 Percent Of Americans Support Therapeutic Use Of Cannabis

Thursday, 06 December 2012

medical_doctor.jpgNew York, NY: More than eight out of ten Americans say that cannabis use for therapeutic purposes should be legal, according to a nationwide CBS News telephone poll of 1,100 adults.

Eighty-three percent of respondents, the highest percentage ever reported in a scientific poll, said that they favor allowing doctors to prescribe specified amounts of marijuana for patients suffering from serious illnesses. This total was up from 77 percent support a year ago and 62 percent support in 1997. A majority of Americans of all ages - as well as a majority of self-identified Republicans, Democrats, and independents - said they support the use of physician-recommended cannabis therapy.

Since 1996, 18 states and the District of Columbia have enacted legislation allowing for qualified persons to possess and use cannabis with a doctor's recommendation.

Fifty-nine percent of respondents also say that the federal government should not interfere in those states that have enacted laws allowing for the use of cannabis by qualified patients. The poll found that respondents were evenly divided on the separate question of whether cannabis should be legally available to all adults.

For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, at (202) 483-5500, or Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This number is just silly.

Arkansas just failed with 49%.

Montana failed to fix their law with lack of support atthe ballot.

This is simple nonsensepropaganda to me.

Is support rising? Yes.

Over 80%?

Complete and utter BS.

Agreed.

Consider the parameters of the poll though, that is important. Is there a chance that CBS skewed the poll (if they conducted it and it wasn't independent) by calling a group of people from some non-random database? I mean even Michigan, a state that has elected 2 dem governors (for 2 terms each) in the past 30 years, only passed med marijuana by 63%.

At any rate, consider the source. If FOX news ran the poll it would have come back as 17% pro. :lol:

Also, consider that the error rate in the CBS poll was minus 25%. :lolu:

Edited by CaveatLector

Maybe 59 % of voters ,, 83% of the public yes,, many of the respondents do not vote,

Remember it was 63% here. And support (or acceptance) has gone up since. Notably in the last year as demonstrated by local election results about marijuana ballot issues.

Our public support is stronger now than ever before.

BTW .. Did I mention that I arranged to have a pole conducted in Michigan?

More than a year ago. I arranged to have the question asked "Would you vote for the medical marijuana act today?"

A little more than 60% yes.

It calmed a lot of fears that we were losing ground.

I guess some folks didn't hear about that survey.

Remember it was 63% here. And support (or acceptance) has gone up since. Notably in the last year as demonstrated by local election results about marijuana ballot issues.

Our public support is stronger now than ever before.

I don't think you can extrapolate that data to the entire population of Michigan. Those local issues on the ballots were in larger cities. Places that tend to house more liberal minded voters as to those issues. Detroit, for example, isn't representative of West Bloomfield and, similarly, Grand Rapids is different ideologically from Cascade.

I think the poll is correct,,,, but the number of voters across the USA is about 60 % 50 in the South 60 in the north,,, as for the non voters 83 percent is about true, many non voters think the government suks and the drug war suks,

why would you call a CBS poll BS are All polls bs too Gallop ect ? the poll did not say among voters, it said respondents

The problem is too many people do not vote, they gave up on that a long time ago ,,

Edited by cristinew

I think the poll is correct,,,, but the number of voters across the USA is about 60 % 50 in the South 60 in the north,,, as for the non voters 83 percent is about true, many non voters think the government suks and the drug war suks,

why would you call a CBS poll BS are All polls bs too Gallop ect ? the poll did not say among voters, it said respondents

The problem is too many people do not vote, they gave up on that a long time ago ,,

Voter turnout, for presidential elections, is actually higher than it's been in 40 years. The last 3 presidential elections have been higher than any year since 1968. It's also within the highest range of turnout since about the turn of last century. I think 1908 was the last presidential election that had at least 65% voter turnout. Edited by CaveatLector

Thanks for doing the poll pb.

Keep the question almost the same so we can keep track of changing attitudes.

:-)

Can't let the firey darts hit our hearts. A set of words (firey darts) were being launched at us by those against us.

The darts needed to be quenched.

Folks like Rick Jones had convinced themselves of the words. "The voters no longer support this law."

Based on those erroneous words and thoughts, several bills were launched against us.

Everyone cowered in fear ..

And THAT needed to be shut down.

False Evidence Appearing Real .. FEAR distinctly being used as weapons against us.

ALso, i believe that support has gone up 5-6%. I just don;t believe the numbers themselves. :-)

So, in this case, i believe pb's last poll came in at 62%? correct? (have to pull up the file, too lazy).

So by that cbs poll numbers it should come in at around 67-68% now in Michigan if the CBS polls patterns are correct.

Again, thanks for doing the poll pb. They are useful. Lets make sure to get press releases on it when you getthe results.

Edited by Malamute

I have used the previous poll ALOT as an example. It has been very helpful.

Are ya doing those through epic/MRA?

I forget now. :-)

And yes, Gallup was off by like 8 points this election... ;-)

Yes. I made sure to use the same people that MPP used before the 2008 election. I wanted clean information.

There had been a slight loss at the time of the poll. But we still had a very strong majority. The statement being tossed at us was .. FEAR.

Well, the polls were coming in at around 58-59% before the election 2008. We won with 62.8%.

So when your poll came in at 62%, to me, that was a rise in the polls of 1% outside of the margin of error.

So, yea. I would appreciate results when they come. :-)

OH!! 59% was BEFORE we went out and talked to a million people, while gathering a half million signatures.

We educated the public.

After the signatures were gathered, they ran the poll again. That time it showed that the yes vote was going to be 69%.

Then team Shuette went to work. That shifted us down again. .. 'till we landed at 63% on election day.

The highest poll was released a few days before I was sentenced. The judge was impressed, I think. I quoted the poll in my sentencing report.

Edited by peanutbutter