Cbd Extracted From Flax Seed. Is It Legal?

peanutbutter

I bet I can extract it ..

Does it grow in this climate? Or do you buy seeds?

IS it worth the hassle? I see flax seed oil on eBay for $140/gal.

Or is there a selective extraction process?

I wonder if you could take flax seed oil and boil off the non-useful stuff - like refining petroleum.....get the CBD concentration higher??

Hmm, 'cannabinoid-like' and 'cannabinoid' aren't exactly the same thing. The examiner article (apparently)got it wrong, but the link they link to provides more detail.

In the course of analysis of fibers extract from previously generated transgenic plants overproducing phenylpropanoids a new terpenoid compound was discovered.The UV spectra and the retention time in UPLC analysis of this new compound reveal similarity to a cannabinoid-like compound, probably cannabidiol (CBD). This was confirmed by finding two ions at m/z 174.1 and 231.2 in mass spectra analysis. Further confirmation of the nature of the compound was based on a biological activity assay. It was found that the compound affects the expression of genes involved in inflammatory processes in mouse and human fibroblasts and likely the CBD from Cannabis sativa activates the specific peripheral cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) gene expression. Besides fibers, the compound was also found in all other flax tissues. It should be pointed out that the industrial process of fabric production does not affect CBD activity.The presented data suggest for the first time that flax products can be a source of biologically active cannabinoid-like compounds that are able to influence the cell immunological response. These findings might open up many new applications for medical flax products, especially for the fabric as a material for wound dressing with anti-inflammatory properties.

Not saying it's not actual CBD, but the abstract doesn't confirm one way or another.

Still something to think about. What if scientists do discover cannabinoids outside the cannabis plant? What will they do?

From the aritcle

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22706678

Besides fibers, the compound was also found in all other flax tissues. It should be pointed out that the industrial process of fabric production does not affect CBD activity.The presented data suggest for the first time that flax products can be a source of biologically active cannabinoid-like compounds that are able to influence the cell immunological response. These findings might open up many new applications for medical flax products, especially for the fabric as a material for wound dressing with anti-inflammatory properties.

Very cool stuff. I wonder what else will be found to contain different Cannabinoids.

Northern beat me to it.

Edited by OG Fire Beaster

Hmm, 'cannabinoid-like' and 'cannabinoid' aren't exactly the same thing. The examiner article (apparently)got it wrong, but the link they link to provides more detail.

Not saying it's not actual CBD, but the abstract doesn't confirm one way or another.

Still something to think about. What if scientists do discover cannabinoids outside the cannabis plant? What will they do?

Humm .. UV, UPLC, MS, interactions that are typical of cannabinoids. Sounds pretty locked in to me.

Now is it CBD or CBDa? I'm guessing CBDa .. Which would go almost unnoticed in common usage. It needs to be heat activated.

This list of plants producing cannabinoids (from the original article) was pretty interesting:

Well, I guess all that needs to be done is to extract CBD from those plants, isomerize it, and then get arrested with it. Who wants to be the guinea pig? :)

Humm .. UV, UPLC, MS, interactions that are typical of cannabinoids. Sounds pretty locked in to me.

Now is it CBD or CBDa? I'm guessing CBDa .. Which would go almost unnoticed in common usage. It needs to be heat activated.

Yes, I read that it looks like CBD to chromatography equipment.

I guess the best test would be to extract some and isomerize it to see if you can convert it into THC. If that can be successfully done, then I think there is no question that it is CBD.

Let me know if you need some high purity sulfuric acid...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...