Shut Out? Restrictive Local Ordinances

Saginaw

There is no ordinance to report because patients and caregivers rose up in 2009, when the City tried to establish a moratorium that would have restricted all forms of medical use, and to take that time to write an ordinance regulating medical use. I pulled together a licensed club, which helped to establish legitimacy, put out a press release to several media outlets, and solicited attendance on the part of a lot of people who came from points around the state to testify before the City Council. When public comment was finished, the Council began asking pointed questions. The atmosphere in the chamber was intense. In the end the commissioners agreed to table the issue, and with our follow up in subsequent talks, came to see that there was no option for them to restrict our protections. A follow up press report has City Attorney Darnell Earley saying that the City had seen no problems arise from our ability to grow and distribute among ourselves.

Saginaw

There is no ordinance to report because patients and caregivers rose up in 2009, when the City tried to establish a moratorium that would have restricted all forms of medical use, and to take that time to write an ordinance regulating medical use. I pulled together a licensed club, which helped to establish legitimacy, put out a press release to several media outlets, and solicited attendance on the part of a lot of people who came from points around the state to testify before the City Council. When public comment was finished, the Council began asking pointed questions. The atmosphere in the chamber was intense. In the end the commissioners agreed to table the issue, and with our follow up in subsequent talks, came to see that there was no option for them to restrict our protections. A follow up press report has City Attorney Darnell Earley saying that the City had seen no problems arise from our ability to grow and distribute among ourselves.

Wasn't this when one of the city council members said that X number of people in his ward didn't vote for MMJ and we was representing their interests......, and it was quickly pointed out to him the number of people who didn't vote for him?

Classic bit of cannabis history in Michigan.

Wasn't this when one of the city council members said that X number of people in his ward didn't vote for MMJ and we was representing their interests......, and it was quickly pointed out to him the number of people who didn't vote for him?

Classic bit of cannabis history in Michigan.

Yep. We find fools everywhere.

People representing the MMMA were Greg Fransisco, Brad Forrester, and Brandy Zink, Matt Abel testified too. I think he may have been providing counsel to the organization at the time. For the very most part, commentary was on point and compelling. There was a woman in a wheelchair who spoke. Dr. Paul Meyer of Saginaw testified and continues to enter bona fide relationships with patients. Limited to three minutes each, it was difficult, but we got the job done.

Once again, while you may believe this, you continue to be incorrect.

The Hubbard Law Firm is a municipal law firm. They advise their clients of their choices, then represent them as their clients wish.

They don't advocate for a particular strategy.

They have their own strategy.

They give their clients bad advice so they can represent them in the lawsuits that are sure to come. They'll line their pockets with municipal money from the buffoons who took their advice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gerald Fisher White Paper

Gerald Fisher White Paper on Local Ordinances October 5th 2010

This is Fishers white paper with model leanguage and concepts surrounding ordinances from 2010. I would be slacking if i didnt post this. It was written for Michigan Municipal League and Michigan Townships Association and will give you a good view of how we ended up where we are.

Gerald Fisher White Paper

Gerald Fisher White Paper on Local Ordinances October 5th 2010

This is Fishers white paper with model leanguage and concepts surrounding ordinances from 2010. I would be slacking if i didnt post this. It was written for Michigan Municipal League and Michigan Townships Association and will give you a good view of how we ended up where we are.

This piece gives short shrift to the protection for both pts and cgs from arrest, prosecution. or penalty in the legtimate medical use of the drug. There is no emphasis on those clauses that guarantee that we are not subject to them, which renders all of these regulations, which include penalties, unenforceable, It is perhaps the most glaring hokum in the entire text, and must be ignored to move any restrictive measure forward. It has been ignored in every instance, and is the basis of the wrong. If fines are levied on the basis of these provisions, they should be laughed at and local government told to suck eggs.

Edited by GregS

Thanks again.

Is there any chance these ordinances could be categorized somehow? How many categories would there be?

If you think that is necessary, by all means, categorize away. They are, after all, posted in their entirety for you to see.

We are starting to organize to approach this issue with local government officials. As the effort proceeds, we anticipate asking that members write and attend meetings to speak, and I expect it to come to that, and we will bring in the press.

Ok,.. to highlight since Jamie feels a need to say i was wrong about stuff... Here is a story of when Matt Newburg Travelled here to Houghton, Michigan(not houghton lake ya trolls) and spoke to area elected officials about ordinances and what to write in them. He did this for the Michigan Municipal League and it results in a string a horrible infringing ordinances directly done witht he words of Matt and the suggestions from Matt. Facts is Facts my friends. Now you may say,.." but this was 2 years ago".... well Matt still shows up at MML and MTA meetings and recommends bad ordinance language to city officials for their moratoriums and ordinances. I can 100% guarantee that to be truth and he recommended bad ordinances just last year to Iron Mountain as well. Direct from the horses mouth. I have never understood your over the top need to defend Hubbard law firm and such. *shrug* o well.

Matt Newburg Speaks at Michigan Municipal League Event

By Matthew Newburg On June 1, 2011 · Add Comment · In Criminal Defense & News, Michigan Medical Marijuana

This past week, Matt Newburg was in Houghton, Michigan as a speaker at the Michigan Municipal Leagues Region 7 event. Matt spoke to Mayors, Township officials and City Council Members on the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. He highlighted the activities permitted under the Act and cases to watch in the Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.

screen-shot-2011-06-01-at-11-14-58-pm.png?w=300

Anyhow,....

Houghton

Houghton Ordinance Restricting Caregivers and Defined as Dispensaries

This ordinance is an interesting one in how they decided to draw the lines. This was done by a haze of bad recommendation that the Dispensaries which were seeking business licenses were merely Caregivers serving patients. I had to cut and past the pictures of the ordinance tot he file above outof the file below here:

http://www.cityofhoughton.com/documents/Zoning.pdf

I did not have the ordinance as passed by Council, so had to extract it out of their permanent zoning documents and resulted in the "Houghton Ordinance Restricting" link.

You take me a fool.

Of course i know exactly what Hubbard did and does. Direct contact and correspondance allows that, even after Matt left. CPU has its tentacles everywhere mon'. The problem is, Hubbard offered false choices and corrupted model language as a starting point for municipalities. Yes the municipality was given basicly 3 choices of ordinances to follow. The language was pre-written by Hubbard though with Michigan Municipal League and Gerald Fisher and Ken Stecker even skulking around int he background. They offered ordinances under false pretenses and with recommended language that was flawed. Some cities increased the "yuckiness" of the model language, but the horrible outline to start from was simply a horrible outline and damaging. They then went around and peddled their language to individual municipalities around the state.

Ahh yea,, i am very very closely familiar about this "game of ordinances". Unlike most, i have found the local issue to be the most troubling honestly. They have and are building ALOT of momentum to get municipalities the power they want to regulate medical cannabis locally. I personally feel this "local Control" angle is just begging to be hijacked.

I mean, why do you think MML and MTA et al have been passing dozens and dozens of local ordinances? The same reason we try to pass local decrim and LLEP ordinances. We got 4 ordinances last year, they got 47. Who has the momentum to get what they want?

*shrug*

Let me take this time before i post another ordinance here to remind people of what we faced last session and what CPU fought against and was dropped from the Walsh package of bills:

HB 4852 of 2011 Amendment to Allow Municipalities Regulate Growing

This was their intent last session but it was narrowly averted. This could EASILY already be the story in Michigan. All these ordinances i am posting would be enforceable. One little tiny single sentence can strip away what we have. Nw connect that sentence with HB 4271 and a 75% vote and poof.

It matters. Please be aware.