Legally And Safely Transporting Medical Marijuana.

Accessible and "readily accessible" are two different things. :-) We got the "inaccessible" removed for "readily accessible".

Not like it is something good though. Just not as bad.

Sec. 474. (1) A person shall not transport or possess usable marihuana as defined in section 26423 of the public health

code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.26423, in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel

unless the usable marihuana is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Enclosed in a case that is carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(b) Enclosed in a case that is not readily accessible from the interior of the vehicle, if the vehicle in which the person

is traveling does not have a trunk.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than

93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accessible and "readily accessible" are two different things. :-) We got the "inaccessible" removed for "readily accessible".

Not like it is something good though. Just not as bad.

Sec. 474. (1) A person shall not transport or possess usable marihuana as defined in section 26423 of the public health

code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.26423, in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel

unless the usable marihuana is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Enclosed in a case that is carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(b) Enclosed in a case that is not readily accessible from the interior of the vehicle, if the vehicle in which the person

is traveling does not have a trunk.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than

93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

I stand corrected to a point, however, the issue of putting a lock on it remains.  You either don't lock it and spend cash on a lawyer arguing your point from a cell or you lock it and avoid the problem all together.  Guess it is up to each person to decide how far they want to push their personal view of what this means.

Dr. Bob

I drive an old mini van and currently there is no seats in it other than driver and passenger.

The only place w/ in the van that is lockable is my so called 'glove compartment' which is

fully accessible to me even if locked. I have contemplated a few solutions to my little dilemma.

There is just no where w/ in my vehicle to secure any type of case. I can lock my brief case

and toss it to the rear of the van but, all it would take is me parking and stepping to the back.

I also thought of a bicycle lock or something to secure a lock box, briefcase, tackle box or

w/e and I have no where w/ in to latch said lock to... any suggestions ?

Just toss it in the back. It is fine.  "generally" it should be where a trunk normally is. Farthest away in the vehicle it can be.

I drive an old mini van and currently there is no seats in it other than driver and passenger.

The only place w/ in the van that is lockable is my so called 'glove compartment' which is

fully accessible to me even if locked. I have contemplated a few solutions to my little dilemma.

There is just no where w/ in my vehicle to secure any type of case. I can lock my brief case

and toss it to the rear of the van but, all it would take is me parking and stepping to the back.

I also thought of a bicycle lock or something to secure a lock box, briefcase, tackle box or

Yea I would suggest what HJ said..... Bolt it down.....

Good thing they passed these bills to HELP the patients out.  I mean how is any of that helping patients/caregivers and how is it protecting the public? What are you going to do assault someone with your bag?  If it was to make sure you are not smoking while you are driving then I got news for them. Anyone that wanted to smoke while they were driving would simply lock the meds up in the trunk, get in and start driving and simply pull the doobie they prerolled and put behind their ear for the trip.......

I mean how is any of that helping patients/caregivers and how is it protecting the public?

Remember, 'marihuana' is magic! Being in close proximity to it puts you in danger of being set upon by the evil demons who reside in the plant. By keeping it locked up you prevent the evil from being released into the world.

What other reason could there possibly be?

Remember, 'marihuana' is magic! Being in close proximity to it puts you in danger of being set upon by the evil demons who reside in the plant. By keeping it locked up you prevent the evil from being released into the world.

What other reason could there possibly be?

Makes me want to lock my chit up now......

It is beyond ridiculous.

They just wanted to stick it to us anyway they could.

At one point , they actually forbid it in the passenger area(interior) of the vehicle.  If ya didnt have atrunk ya would have had to strapped it to your roof.

Hahaha...

If i didnt laugh i would cry.....

Look on the bottom of the seats.  There is generally a rail or some sort of post that you could use to run a bike or gun lock through.  In my Yukon, in the back, there are some little D rings that are designed to connect a cargo net to, many minivans have the same thing.

The take home message is that an effort is made to secure it.  I think a jury would have a really hard time convicting if it was in a box and the box was chained or cabled to a solid object.  Might be overkill, but it is a thought.

Dr. Bob

Look on the bottom of the seats.  There is generally a rail or some sort of post that you could use to run a bike or gun lock through.  In my Yukon, in the back, there are some little D rings that are designed to connect a cargo net to, many minivans have the same thing.

The take home message is that an effort is made to secure it.  I think a jury would have a really hard time convicting if it was in a box and the box was chained or cabled to a solid object.  Might be overkill, but it is a thought.

Dr. Bob

AWW Good idea Doc. In fact if the back seats are missing there could possibly be hooks where the seats were.

I hear people say that p2p is a gray area all the time. They say that the patient doing the selling is in the wrong but the patient doing the buying is in the clear. I don't see how any of it could be legal. Just like I don't understand what happens if you get busted with mmj but don't have a caregiver. Dispensaries are not legal so you must have got it illegally.

I hear people say that p2p is a gray area all the time. They say that the patient doing the selling is in the wrong but the patient doing the buying is in the clear. I don't see how any of it could be legal. Just like I don't understand what happens if you get busted with mmj but don't have a caregiver. Dispensaries are not legal so you must have got it illegally.

Let me be the first to say that p2p is not legal. Period. If a patient has a caregiver s/he must, by law, obtain it there. Period. If you are a registered patient who has no caregiver you are legal. Period. As a patient you can have any allowed amount and be legal. Period.

I have a couple of seats for a '94 Montana.

Locked briefcase is just as legal as a locked firearm case.

Edited by GregS