Looking For Some Assurance

Hello guys. I have been looking for a website like this, and I feel like here I can finally get some honest advice about possibly getting a medical card for my conditions.

I graduated from CMU last spring and Ive had the year off while applying to graduate schools. I have been accepted to a program for an advanced degree in School Psychology that starts in May. During the last two years of my undergrad, I heavily smoked that synthetic marijuana crap (K2/ Spice). When I moved home I had to take a medical exam for a summer job and they found some things in my urine and blood that made them raise their eyebrows. I was told the most possible cause for the blood, bilirubin and something else in my urine was smoking. I got scared and confessed that I had smoked that synthetic crap for going on three years straight. They immediately told me I had to quit if I cared about my health, and also pointed out that it is illegal now. 

Well, it took me awhile, but I have now been off that crap for going on 4 months. I must say, I am really happy to be clean of it, but I have noticed some things about my body and sleep habits that have caused me major problems with my everyday life.  First off, I cant sleep. At this exact time Im writing this, it is past 2:30 am. I used to smoke every night before bad and now that Ive quit, I just cant fall asleep like I used to. Also, my anxiety and depression have increased dramatically. I always suffered from both in high school, but since Ive quit the K2, I am having trouble with suicidal thoughts and frequently lash out at people in anger. I don't think depression/anxiety is one of the conditions a person can get a card. However, the depression meds ive been prescribed by my doctor give me stomach aches, and could contribute to why i cant sleep at night. Plus they have caused me to gain weight. Another thing that has developed is headaches. Im sure this is related to quitting smoking the synthetic stuff. I wont go back to using that junk ever again, but I cant see myself living this way for the rest of my life.

What I am looking for is a boost of confidence and some advice from a healthcare professional. I want to know if going to a compassion clinic is a legitimate idea for someone with my conditions, or if I will get laughed at and shown the door. I am really nervous (probably because of my anxiety...) but im willing to take a shot if I can get some assurance from people that this is a good idea. I just cant keep taking those pills anymore. They hurt like hell and I don't feel any better.  Plus, with grad school starting in under 2 months, I need to be confident, well-rested, and in good health to succeed, not suffering from headaches and insomnia.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope to get some good feedback from people who care. Thanks guys, and gals.

The problem at least as I see it is that you are smart enough to get into grad school but you made a big mistake in smoking those totally come what may synthetics. Good thing you stopped. 

I really do not think mmj is going to help you remember things in grad school. I recently stopped after fairly heavy use. i certainly miss aspects of it and I am in pain due to an auto accident and altlhough it would have it's uses in that respect I am still avoiding it. (There are other job related reasons) I do think it has its place but not in terms of short term memory transference going to long term. You need this to happen. 

Two easy to use things that have a calming affect are theanine which is the substance in tea which causes tea to have a calming effect despite its caffine content. 

It is mild and safe. The other is magnesium. It too has a calming effect. Most of us do not get enough in our diets. 

Now the other thing that you can use with probably good effect for depression is TDCS. Although this is safe it is not FDA approved and is being used experimentaly again after a long hiatus due to the creation and promotion of anti depressants. 

Start with this article. http://www.innovationtoronto.com/2012/03/brainwave-is-a-breakthrough/

Then if you have further interest go to diytdcs.com which serves as a portal for interesting articles and studies. You can scroll down. The pages and certainly get more information than needed. There is a scam in selling a kit for this and a bad $ experience a person had was just listed in the Reddit pages the connection of which is at the top of the pages,  this morning. You can contact me if you like. I have no skin in the game and no way to make any money off it. I use it for bipolar depression with good effect and pain due to an auto accident also with good effect. Side effects are minimal if you use it correctly. Best of luck. Also exercise is a good way to lower stress. Look into zen meditation. It takes a while to get good at, it but it is valuable. Zen does not impinge on anyone's religious beliefs so there is no conflict there. 

This is all my opinion and of course some people will differ especially about the mmj use. You will have to make up your own mind. I am inclined to think if you were using things like spice and k2 for years that you have certain addictive aspects to your personality and you need to take a good look within yourself and perhaps gain further control by avoiding things you find yourself overindulging in. Same advice I give myself.

You can obtain theanine and magnesium at Swansons.com foor reasonable prices. Search for coupons via Google sometimes you can find a good coupon for shipping or or a discount. Good luck.

in addition the substance melotonin which is the same substance our body produces when we become sleepy might be useful. It is safe. Can be obtained from above also. I take 3 mg before bed. It reduces the time to fall asleep by about 10 minutes a night. This adds up! don't overdue it. Please research any suggestions i have made and talk to a doctor if you have any questions. Time to get your Sh%t together. i suspect it will be a slog. Hang in get in better health. it will be incremental. Every day a little more improvement. 

Edited by mrd

If you indeed choose to use cannabis, you will need to establish or present a diagnosis that is allowed. The continuing headaches may be enough.

My advice is to also stay with mental health treatment. The issues you describe (the anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts) are nothing to screw around with.

Good luck.

its natural to be nervous and anxious.

its very stressful this law and all the muffin makers abusing it.

ask a friend to go with you to the clinic. they can help calm your nerves.

under the law, you are only allowed to have mmj if you have a qualifying condition.

make sure to have any history of qualifying conditions with you when you see the doc and everything will be good.

You heavily smoked that synthetic marijuana crap (K2/ Spice) three years straight. You say that you can’t sleep, and that your anxiety and depression have increased dramatically. These were issues you had way before the Spice. Not only do you sound like some one who should not qualify, 1) because the MI Act does not cover mental issues, and 2) it sounds like you have an addiction problem to attend to. The headaches may be from withdraw. In your favor, there are some compassion clinics that welcome everyone with money.

You heavily smoked that synthetic marijuana crap (K2/ Spice) three years straight. You say that you can’t sleep, and that your anxiety and depression have increased dramatically. These were issues you had way before the Spice. Not only do you sound like some one who should not qualify, 1) because the MI Act does not cover mental issues, and 2) it sounds like you have an addiction problem to attend to. The headaches may be from withdraw. In your favor, there are some compassion clinics that welcome everyone with money.

ouch.

I hear ya, I have never tried that stuff and had not even given it a thought, kinda reminds me of people that sniff gas and airplane glue, I know kids in college dont have alot of cash for the kind of mmj we have now a days, but realy that stuff is no better than what a huffer does, and im sure it could have killed you, if your anxiey meds are not working you most def should get a hold of your dr, and either get it bumped up or get the rx changed, it takes a few trys alot of times before they get you on the right head meds for depression and anxiety, Im a pt my back is screwed but so is my depression and anxiety!  I have to do my head meds, or I make my life and those around me lives miserable!

I always blamed it on these darn long winters up here, seasonal mood disorder is real (cabin fever) but it dont have to make you miserable, just ask my lady, well heck ask me, I feel like a million bucks compared to the same time last yr, I like to think im gonna get off of them in the summer, but Im stayin on them this summer, it only comes back, and I may lose my family for something that can be fixed with a pill. I dont like to telll people to take anything but mm, but some have to do more than just mm to help them with their ailments!

Best of luck!

Peace

Jim