Medical Marijuana Is Going To The Dogs

LongHairBri

http://www.theweedblog.com/veterinarian-administers-medical-marijuana-to-dogs-says-it-works-wonders/

Veterinarian Doug Kramer considers his work to be “enlightened”, even naming his clinic the Enlightened Veterinary Therapeutics. When hearing about his out-of-the-box methodology, it’s hard to argue.

Dr. Kramer administers medical marijuana to dogs, especially those with late-staged cancer. He does so in his clinic, and is undeniably vocal about it. He’s not hiding what he’s doing, and instead is making sure to spread the word as far and wide as he can.

In an article published recently on Dogster.com, one of the largest dog sites in the world, Kramer states, regarding the decision to go against the law:

“The decision was an easy one for me to make…I refuse to condemn my patients to a miserable existence for self preservation or concerns about what may or may not happen to me as a consequence of my actions. My freedom of speech is clearly protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution. This is an issue of animal welfare, plain and simple. Remaining silent would represent a clear violation of the veterinarian’s oath I took when I was admitted into this profession.”

Certainly noble.

On his website, Dr. Kramer notes that; “Overwhelming documented and empirical evidence suggests that there is a role for medicinal marijuana in veterinary medicine…In many, many scientific studies, THC and its synthetic derivatives have been shown to be effective in most animal models of pain.”

Dr. Kramer, who’s the first veterinarian in the country to (at least openly) administer medical cannabis to dogs, is not a medical cannabis patient himself. His venture started when his dog, Nikkita, was diagnosed with cancer. This led to Dr. Kramer studying recent cannabis research, which pushed him to create a homemade cannabis tincture, which he administered to her.

Dr. Kramer, who spoke with us briefly, states; “It restored her appetite, made her lively again. It was a complete turnaround and she got to live her final days in a much better way.”

After Nikita’s death, Dr. Kramer felt bound to continue harnessing cannabis as a medicine so that he could help other dogs with terminal diseases that may benefit from it. This led to him opening Enlightened Veterinary Therapeutics, which specializes in palliative and hospice care, and is the first and only clinic in the country to offer cannabis consultations as a pet treatment plan.

Going forward, Dr. Kramer hopes that his message spreads, and that we change our laws to enable doctors and others to truly study and recognize the vast benefits that medical cannabis can bring, whether you’re a human, or a dog.

Here is an interesting link to some dog - cannabis research and some warnings from the same Vet.

Dog Marijuana Research | Animal Veterinary Center | AVMA Veterinarian

Risks of Administering Medical Marijuana to your Pet | Animal Veterinary Center | AVMA Veterinarian

In the comments after the first article, 'Charlie' posts a link to pictures of Simpson oil (cannabis oil) being used to remove a skin cancer tumor (mast cell tumor) from his dog. This is a great sequence showing how with each bandage change, the tumor melts a little more until it is gone.

Treating Cancer with Cannabis - patient is 7 year old Boxer Dog - MNS Forums

God, it is just so pitifully stupid that the government has banned research on cannabis. When they discover that it cures cancer, how stupid will the prohibitionists feel then? penis Nixon will have that added to his legacy. And the beat goes on...

I'll tell ya something else that is stupid - the editor on this forum. I tried to use the nickname for "Richard" (Dickk) and it changed it to, of all things, penis. Really?

Edited by Chauncy Gardner

God, it is just so pitifully stupid that the government has banned research on cannabis. When they discover that it cures cancer, how stupid will the prohibitionists feel then? penis Nixon will have that added to his legacy. And the beat goes on...

I'll tell ya something else that is stupid - the editor on this forum. I tried to use the nickname for "Richard" (Dickk) and it changed it to, of all things, penis. Really?

You're right. "And then I found five dollars" would be much better.

They can be changed. Do you have something in mind better than penis? We obviously can't use "Johnson." History buffs would be confused.

Edited by GregS

You're right. "And then I found five dollars" would be much better.

They can be changed. Do you have something in mind better than penis? We obviously can't use "Johnson." History buffs would be confused.

Why do we need to be censored at all? Let's be adults.

I do have a better synonym for "penis". The word "phallus". It has a nice Roman ring to it and Phallus Nixon sounds awesome.

Why do we need to be censored at all? Let's be adults.

I do have a better synonym for "penis". The word "phallus". It has a nice Roman ring to it and Phallus Nixon sounds awesome.

I like it better than "Johnson."

This is a family website model. Nothing keeps anyone out, and we want them to know what we're about. If you hafta have uncensored talk, there are always Mal's site and riu. Both can be a hoot.

Edited by GregS

• 2 months later...

To add to the cannabis for canines story, I'll add a personal note.

Today, I put my dog down.  It is a difficult time to be sure.  He had many issues that just began to compound and I couldn't bear to watch him struggle any longer.  For a couple of months he had been improving from a low point in March but that progress had slowed.  I became convinced that he would get no better.  It was time.  14 years and 8 months.  RIP buddy

I wanted to mention though that the cannabis oil (rso) was a wonderful medicine for him.  It seemed to relieve his pain, he slept soundly, and he retained his appetite, even today.  Unfortunately I did not use the oil until he was late stage with cancer.  If I had it to do over again, I would start the oil much sooner and give larger doses.  As it was, I wasn't sure for a time whether I was being kind or was I in fact mistreating him with the oil.  There is a lot of information on the web regarding cannabis toxicity.  Dr Kramer's articles in the opening posts of this thread were a great help in giving me confidence.

My dog had several issues that seemed to improve over time with the oil use.  Both his hearing and his eyesight improved with oil use.  I had read that cannabis had been a treatment for cataracts years ago but had not read of hearing improvements.  Possibly a brain tumor was shrinking, I don't know but he went from stone deaf to again being able to hear sharp sounds, like claps or whistles.  His eyes definitely cleared some too.  They looked much brighter.  These improvements were encouraging and made his last days better but, they also made it harder to know when to let go because he was certainly improving for a time. 

He had also had an issue with a crusty nose for many years.  Today the vet and I discussed how great his nose was looking - like a young dog again.  The crustiness had completely disappeared and he had a moist nose in his last month or two.  I heard that the crustiness can develop after the passage from the dog's tear ducts to his nose closes up.  So this problem too had corrected itself with the oil use.  

Anyway, I would highly recommend cannabis oil for ailing canines.  Start very slowly and monitor the animal for hazards like stairs.  Remember if a 180 lb person starts with a 'grain of rice', a 30lb dog should start with 1/6th of a grain.  It can have strong effects on the dog and remember that it is not aware that this is just a medicinal effect that will wear off.  Stay with the dog until it falls asleep so that it does not panic.  Lastly, when they wake up after a dose of oil, they will be groggy for a couple of minutes longer than normal.  It may take a minute or two to get their bearings.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, Washtenaut really is like losing family. :bighug:

My cat.. Has been a cannabis lover since her infant days. Just this morning I had ONE frigging roach left that I had been stalling to smoke.. came up stairs to find her eating it out of the tray dammit.

I know if I put a bowl of bud next to a bowl of food she would mash the bud first, no question about it..

Before I quit smoking she would leave the room if I lit up a cigarette, she comes running to me purring when I smoke weed. She just squints her eyes and chills when she smokes.

Trix
:bong2:

• 4 months later...