Legal Outdoor Grow Question On Fence

fluffygrrrl

Now that the legislature has okayed outdoor grows as long as your neighbor cannot see it from their property and it has to be an enclosed fence that doesn't need a top...does anyone know if a 5 foot chain link fence would be ok? they said chain link was ok, but didn't say anything about height, just that you can't dig under it (I will put fencing dug in the soil so animals can't burrow)

I have 40 acres and my only neighbor is 20 acres away.  My driveway is 1/4 mile in the woods, so very remote.  I currently have my greenhouse surrounded by an 8' tall chain link covered in black landscape fabric (used last year because then it needed to be entirely covered), but want to make my fence larger because I have more patients.  I found a 5' fence on craigslist for a good deal so I just want to be sure it is ok.  Any opinions?  Would it be better to put razor wire above it?

Now that the legislature has okayed outdoor grows as long as your neighbor cannot see it from their property and it has to be an enclosed fence that does need a top...does anyone know if a 5 foot chain link fence would be ok? they said chain link was ok, but didn't say anything about height, just that you can't dig under it (I will put fencing dug in the soil so animals can't burrow)

I have 40 acres and my only neighbor is 20 acres away.  My driveway is 1/4 mile in the woods, so very remote.  I currently have my greenhouse surrounded by an 8' tall chain link covered in black landscape fabric (used last year because then it needed to be entirely covered), but want to make my fence larger because I have more patients.  I found a 5' fence on craigslist for a good deal so I just want to be sure it is ok.  Any opinions?  Would it be better to put razor wire above it?

fixed.  

:horse: thread:  http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/42332-outdoor-grows-legal-prior-to-hb4851/page-3  

All sides need to be enclosed including the top .

Not according to Ken Stecker although I wouldn't risk my life on it. It does make a huge difference in potential setups and would love to see some real clarification. Contacting your local county prosecutor isn't the answer either considering the state can send in a special prosecutor to go after you if they wish.

that is the guy who I heard talking about it, and on other grow sites, maybe there was a link to what the bill was before it made it through passage and it got changed during the process?.  It is so dumb to go about this and change the law permitting outdoor grows, and then make you put a top on a fence.  Why would they list chain link, slat, etc?  How do you put a top on a chain link fence?  If you are out in the boonies like me, it is stupid and a waste.  But if that is what I have to do, I'll do it, love the free sun!  It looks like I'm buying another greenhouse. 

I'm sorry to have started a new topic and didn't find the original thread talking about outdoor grows.  I spoke on that link about my experience with the law a few years ago growing outdoors, since the thread was about whether or not grows were legal before hb 4851

the top is just so people cant touch it.

you can enclose a chain link fence, you just have to think a little smaller area (or more fence).

you might want to try chain link for the sides, anchored / cemented into the ground, and chicken wire on the top.

the ultimate goal of the law is to not allow the public, minus the use of special breaking and entering tools, access to your grow. what this also means is that the plants cant really be sticking out of your fence either.

well, dont take this as legal advice.

the 'top' part comes from a response from the senator who authored the bill.

if you are curious you can email that represenative and ask him yourself (i forgot the name now, maybe phil kavanaugh?).

If I had the space, I would make a hoophouse out of chain link fence top rails bent with one of these:

http://www.lostcreek.net/dyseriesbender6999.html

Put the posts about 4 feet apart and cover the whole thing with chain link fence.  If you are in sight of neighbors, cover that with 6 mil poly, otherwise keep it open.  The top rails fit inside posts that are driven into the ground, so the secure part is covered as long as you frame out and cover the ends and have a lock on the door.

276_12x16_1of_2_442X332.jpg

Doing some rough math in my head, a 20' wide x 32' long one would be somewhere around $700, less if you have spare lumber, etc.  Still some cash, but way less than a comparable green house and far more secure imo.

a simple design (not original with me) is to build the sides and ceiling out of 8' x 8' panels of welded wire with plants made not visible (from the helo or drone) by cloudy 6 mil construction plastic draped on the frame which is bound together with zip ties and dug a foot down and staked. 16' x 48' costs under $600 plus whatever door you rig at the front, but to this other person's plan, i'm going to add a door back for ez egress.  This build of course limits plants to 7 ft. high.   This includes fence stakes and ceiling ties.

Easily takes care of entry barrier, low cost, sighting of the plants by others, and ease of put-up and take-down.  (Thanks to B1).

Edited by pic book

Ken Stecker does not want to be quoted on his advice regarding whether the outdoor grow needs a top.  I was directly involved in the language on outdoor grows, and it was definitely Rep Horn and Cavanagh's wishes to have a top.  It says "enclosed on all sides except the base".... that seems clear that if you consider the base a side (and clearly they do as they mention it specifically), then it stands to reason the top is also a side.

Everyone may do as they wish, no problem, but if I was growing outside, I would consider a top mandatory.... 

chain link fencing or the equivalent... so no one may climb over.....

Ken Stecker does not want to be quoted on his advice regarding whether the outdoor grow needs a top. I was directly involved in the language on outdoor grows, and it was definitely Rep Horn and Cavanagh's wishes to have a top. It says "enclosed on all sides except the base".... that seems clear that if you consider the base a side (and clearly they do as they mention it specifically), then it stands to reason the top is also a side.

Everyone may do as they wish, no problem, but if I was growing outside, I would consider a top mandatory....

chain link fencing or the equivalent... so no one may climb over.....

Thanks, I guess that is as clear as we are gonna get. Do you think he misspoke at that meeting, believes that to be the law, or enjoys misinforming people on purpose?

• 1 month later...

Hi I own about 35 acres in Ottawa County in West Michigan. First of all is anyone here from this county or area that has any trouble with Law Enforcement here?

I'm looking to build a legal locking grow cage out of steel hoop house rings & wrapping chain link fence around the rings. Simalar to the one shown above but chain link fence wrapped.

Also I want to build a locking 18x14 10' tall wood fence around it if necessary too and more privacy and an extra lock don't hurt.. I'm also planing on using electric fence amp to electrify the chain link fence, for added security at night etc... Maybe even add a motion security camera for entertainment.. I'm only planning on doing my 12 that's it... So it wont have to be that big I'm thinking 12x16 max.

Is this really worth my $$$ & time or is it too much risk involved? How much approx would it cost? Any input would be appreciated.

welded wire over 2x4 frame anchored by steel fence posts 2' in soil.  Basically wrap your greenhouse in welded wrap. why? top and sides are steel welded wire, rigid and durable for years and easily creates a structure not enterable without tools. Now throw the 6 mil construction plastic over the wire, viola, shapes melt and colors dim. Yah you can go 100% chain link, but if you're not a contractor you'll need one for that build, and also 3.5 times the $.

Edited by pic book

• 2 weeks later...

This property is near farms & other large commercial greenhouses.. We already have 2 50x12 hoop houses set up near the gravel road without township approval for years. I'm going to have to build in a more hidden location.. Now I'm not looking to knock on any doors to tell the Township or anybody for that matter what I'm doing and where this is. I just want to know that I have a legal facility if I have any visitors with questions if you know what I mean.  

Here are some rules that I know of feel free to chime in here or dispute them

As long as the public can not see your outdoor grow and it is secured on all sides it is legal.

Don't transport plants in a vehicle with someone who isn't registered.. like a spouse or friend..

You have to have your Medicine locked in the trunk of your car while transporting it..

Edited by peacefulfield

It can't be seen from adjoining property or buildings on that property.  So if it's open-topped and the neighbors can see down in from their second floor bedroom window, then you are illegal.

I want to amend your first statement above too:

Your grow can't be seen from the adjoining properties or any buildings on those properties.  It must be secured on all sides, including the top with a fixed medium.  

In other words.  You can't be able to pick up the greenhouse and slide underneath it, and you can't use something like plastic sheeting and say it's a fixed covering.  If you are going to use something like plastic sheeting, you must also use something like chicken wire to cover all the surrounding surfaces.

Also, other people can be in the car while transporting.  They just can't have access to it.  Just like in your house.

Long as your using metal fence, proven agricultural technology to keep dumb animals in or out: electrify it. Prison tech: Layers of Fences.

Just thinkin, heck they use that stuff right here, house next door and anyone else here in this sub has to have a buried elec fence if they have a dog, since fences are not allowed. Cats are not included, thankfully!

Edited by solabeirtan