Worm Farm

DaGreenChef

just ordered my farm. I've been reading about feeding your worms different things to get different nutrients in the castings and worm juice, greens for nitrogen, banana peel for potassium, eggs shell for calcium, and so on. I'm considering feeding a plant solely from the farm to see what results I get. anyone raising worms on here? 

post-26891-0-32877600-1368615936_thumb.jpg

Yeah I have a worm bin and compost bin and use the finished product to make my teas I feed the girls.

Quick tip. If you're going to feed veggie scraps put them in the freezer first, this will help break down the cell walls and make it easier for the worm to work over.

Actually, if you have a compost pile, you would be better off composting all your food scraps and then feeding the finished compost to the worms. You can throw egg shells in a worm bin but they aren't going to get broken down very fast at all. Same with banana peels.

I have had mine going for about 9 months. 

Started with 100 red wigglers. Now there must be a few thousand. 

I do the veggie scraps and ground egg shells + all of my fan leaves and branches and a fresh layer of shredded paper bag every now and then. 

Nothing like fresh castings as a tea innoculant. Hoping to eventualy make enough to supplement my soil mix. 

• 5 months later...

I have around 25,ooo worms breeding and eating and pooping like crazy, in my grow room all year. I recycle my soil , or should say they do. I have only ever fed them marijuana daily trim/garden waste, and spent rootballs, no foods or fruits from the kitchen. These have been going strong for five years. All of my plant pots and bags and trays are also homes to hundreds of worms full time. I cant spray any funny business, and only use fresh spring water and their tea to fertilize. The spent dirt is returned to the top trays for feeding off of the decaying matter until it finds its way to the bottom and is re used as new soil. I water the farms every two days and collect the tea daily. I pour the tea into a 55 gallon drum and fill it with water at the end of the week. I put a couple drops of molasses into it and aerate the b'geezus out of it for the week while using it to pump feed.

My worms don't die and they're fertilizer allows every strain I've grown to fully express  and finish well. they eat five pounds of leaves every couple weeks or so and rootballs too. All of my vegging plants do start out in a cup of new happy frog/pro mix swirl with just water in veg, till about 18 inches tall, 30-50 days. I think this replaces the lost dirt in the system. 

I highly suggest keeping foodstuffs out of the grow room. the pests they bring are very different than the ones cannabis brings. A solid worm farm will soon become a haven for all kinds of crawling bugs, nematodes you can actually see, and lots of bacteria. Some of these bugs will inevitably wonder out, and are naturally managed, but the foodstuff ones are more difficult imo.

I sniff mine daily as an accurate gauge of whats going on inside every tray. They always smell like a handful of fresh dug topsoil, even the top feeder trays.

Worm is the Word !!

some do crawl out of the plant pots and end up in a corner of a tray where my lazy donkey leaves that accumulation of dirt..for the worms man, for the worms ! lol

I have around 25,ooo worms breeding and eating and pooping like crazy, in my grow room all year. I recycle my soil , or should say they do. I have only ever fed them marijuana daily trim/garden waste, and spent rootballs, no foods or fruits from the kitchen. These have been going strong for five years. All of my plant pots and bags and trays are also homes to hundreds of worms full time. I cant spray any funny business, and only use fresh spring water and their tea to fertilize. The spent dirt is returned to the top trays for feeding off of the decaying matter until it finds its way to the bottom and is re used as new soil. I water the farms every two days and collect the tea daily. I pour the tea into a 55 gallon drum and fill it with water at the end of the week. I put a couple drops of molasses into it and aerate the b'geezus out of it for the week while using it to pump feed.

My worms don't die and they're fertilizer allows every strain I've grown to fully express  and finish well. they eat five pounds of leaves every couple weeks or so and rootballs too. All of my vegging plants do start out in a cup of new happy frog/pro mix swirl with just water in veg, till about 18 inches tall, 30-50 days. I think this replaces the lost dirt in the system. 

I highly suggest keeping foodstuffs out of the grow room. the pests they bring are very different than the ones cannabis brings. A solid worm farm will soon become a haven for all kinds of crawling bugs, nematodes you can actually see, and lots of bacteria. Some of these bugs will inevitably wonder out, and are naturally managed, but the foodstuff ones are more difficult imo.

I sniff mine daily as an accurate gauge of whats going on inside every tray. They always smell like a handful of fresh dug topsoil, even the top feeder trays.

Worm is the Word !!

some do crawl out of the plant pots and end up in a corner of a tray where my lazy donkey leaves that accumulation of dirt..for the worms man, for the worms ! lol

I hope to be doing this soon.

Starting over now in a safe and permanent location.

Easing into things by recycling dirt, worm bin will be next purchase.

There is so much to learn, thank you for this info.

Yeah I have a worm bin and compost bin and use the finished product to make my teas I feed the girls.

Quick tip. If you're going to feed veggie scraps put them in the freezer first, this will help break down the cell walls and make it easier for the worm to work over.

Actually, if you have a compost pile, you would be better off composting all your food scraps and then feeding the finished compost to the worms. You can throw egg shells in a worm bin but they aren't going to get broken down very fast at all. Same with banana peels.

grind the egg shells up.... for those who cant put em in a plastic pnutbutter jar with a small stone.....shake.... they get all busted up..... i have had my worms for a couple years now and not much breaks down faster than banna peel...just dont give em the stem.

Here is a link to a thread on ICMag about Bokashi composting:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=162237

Basically its a way to compost things you normally can't, like meat, dairy, citrus, etc.  Once the fermentation is complete, you can add it to a thermal compost pile or worm bin or just bury it in the garden.  It is pretty much the best thing ever for worms and they go absolutely wild for it.