Magnolia Officinalis

The bark of Magnolia officinalis is used in Asian traditional medicine for the treatment of anxiety, sleeping disorders, and allergic diseases. We found that the extract and its main bioactive constituents, magnolol and honokiol, can activate cannabinoid (CB) receptors.

Magnolia Extract, Magnolol, and Metabolites: Activation of Cannabinoid CB2 Receptors and Blockade of the Related GPR55

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ml300235q

Though much remains uncertain, GPR55s are linked to neuropathic pain, inflammation, bone phisiology, and cancer.

It's worth mentioning that CBD is a GPR55 antagonist (like some of the compounds mentioned in this article). CBD remains elusive by in large, while Magnolia officinalis is widely avialable and may potentially provide therapeutic benefit to some patients.  

• 2 weeks later...

I feel as though discovering the effects of Magnolia officinalis on the endocannabinoid system is potentially the most useful and applicable information to come out of my research to date. I hope this plant becomes more widely acknowledged, investigated, and utilized by cannabis patients.

Honokiol, and magnolia officinalis root bark extract (that also contains magnolol), both appear to be safe CB2 agonist that will likely pair nicely with many, if not most, cannabis treatments. I would certainly encourage those suffering from pain, inflammation, and those involved in cancer treatments, to spend some time learning about it's main constituents magnolol and honokiol. There's a ton of research available on Google Scholar.

I got an extract that claims to be 88% honokiol / 11% magnolol and have been using it for about a week.

200mg is the recommended dose on the bottle. I've been taking it once or twice daily (mostly once in the morning).

Some subjective observations:
I didn't seem to be as hungry or eat as much (might not be good for those trying to gain weight)
It felt kind of like a muscle relaxer when I smoked cannabis
I don't think I stayed "high" as long when I smoked cannabis (but I found myself smoking less, and felt very relaxed)

I don't recommend that other do this but:
I took about 10mg and placed it over a bowl of cannabis. It felt like a mild pain killer. It's not a taste that I care for.

Honokiol, a multifunctional antiangiogenic and antitumor agent.

Honokiol and magnolol as multifunctional antioxidative molecules for dermatologic disorders.

Honokiol: a novel natural agent for cancer prevention and therapy.

Antinociceptive actions of honokiol and magnolol on glutamatergic and inflammatory pain

Many cannabis patients are using THC (a partial CB1 & CB2 agonist with greater efficacy at CB1) to treat their conditions. Due to the low efficacy at CB2, THC is limited in it's effectiveness in conditions that have a higher expression of CB2 receptors than CB1 receptors. This is where honokiol, m-extract, and orally consumed magnolol come in. They're partial CB1 and CB2 agonists with CB2 selectivity. This means that they have the potential to be as useful, if not more, for treatment of a number of conditions being treated with cannabis.

If someone can move this thread over to the Health Section, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by in vivo

For reference, it was $25 for the extract I bought, including delivery. That was for 20 grams (100 200mg doses). 

In addition to being a CB1 and CB2 agonist (activator), it's a GPR55 antagonist (blocker). This combination, in my mind, seems to have the potential be more effective in the treatment of pain and inflammation than THC/CBD. M-extract has the benefit of blocking GPR55 like CBD, but instead of being a mild CB1 and CB2 antagonist (blocker) like CBD, m-extract is a CB1 and CB2 agonist (activator) which should potentially give it a leg up in the treatment of pain and inflammation.   

For reference, it was $25 for the extract I bought, including delivery. That was for 20 grams (100 200mg doses). 

In addition to being a CB1 and CB2 agonist (activator), it's a GPR55 antagonist (blocker). This combination, in my mind, seems to have the potential be more effective in the treatment of pain and inflammation than THC/CBD. M-extract has the benefit of blocking GPR55 like CBD, but instead of being a mild CB1 and CB2 antagonist (blocker) like CBD, m-extract is a CB1 and CB2 agonist (activator) which should potentially give it a leg up in the treatment of pain and inflammation.   

Thank you for the education, it seems that you have done your home work. 

I am going to order mine now.

Your user name and the manner in which you write suggest that you may have a medical background - am I right?  Any way, thank you for the post.

I'm just a patient. My posts are likely best to be viewed as well meaning, but worth verifying. The more that I think about it, the more I feel it necessary to stress caution when following online recommendations about health and wellness strategies. Lucky for us m-extract is the main ingredient in Seditol (natural sleep aid), and their research indicates that the LD50 (lethal dose for 50%) is around 5000mg/kg (5g x your weight in kg). There's been a fair amount of research done on long term toxicity, and it's believed to be very safe. However, there are allergies to consider. Best to start by introducing it to your skin to see if there's a reaction. If there's no reaction then possibly try a very small amount to start. You can work your way up to their recommended dose, or whatever happens to work best for you. Please do some research, and possibly even discuss it with your physician, prior to following my advice.

All of that aside, I look forward to you sharing how this works for you!

I was reading a study today in the link below, and they discuss similarities to Diazepam.

Overview of the Pharmacological Features of Honokiol

• 2 weeks later...

I love this guy :)   Olive Leaf Extract will stop chronic UTIs and help treat other bladder disorders,and a lot of the inflammation and discomfort. I don't know if it works for men,but have 6 testamonials from women on how they were able to get off the antibiotics. 6 month treatment of Macrodantin plays hell on your body. Antis have a really serious kick-back,especially if you have taken them frequently. It might not even show up for years,and when it does,it is usually a drug resistant bacterial infectional,and can be anywhere in your body. Most of the time it is either MRSA,or the Necrotizing Strep. Those will kill you. Thank you for being so dilligent and supportive of homeopathic treatments. Drs seem to know nothing about alternative health treatments. Vets are much more educated. Glycosamine Chondrotin has been used on horses and dogs for 20 years before they figured out it can also help humans. My horses had acupunture long before I did. It worked on them and on me. Agree with caution. Most meds are made from a natural source,like Aspirin from Willow Bark. Homeopathic treatment needs to be taken just as seriously,there are lots of plants out in the woods that can kill you as well as help you. Nature is AWESOME.

• 5 months later...

Can this get moved to science?

A few things to keep in mind about magnolia officinalis. The root bark contains around 2% magnolol and honokiol. Extracts vary. Like other cannabinoids heat and light play important factors in terms of shelf lives. If stored properly they both have shelf lives under two years. This means that it's likely that many products on the shelves don't contain the amount claimed, or potentially any at all. 

It should be pointed out that this ight have a positive effect on bipolar depression due to the suppression of the production of glutamate.  Where did you source this.

Jointed one. I think that you have to differentiate herbal from homepathic. Very very different approaches although homeopathic might use extracts the amounts used are different by orders of magnitude.