Funding The Carruthers Appeal

As most of you know, Carruthers has indicated his desire to appeal his disastrous COA case.  I have been in contact with him and he has given his approval to begin fundraising.  He has also indicated his desire to have the money handled by a 3rd party rather than have control over it himself.  He doesn't want any allegations of wrong-doing with the money. 

In an effort to jumpstart this fundraising I have started a paypal account to fund his appeal.  Carruthers has yet to choose counsel but when he does the money will be forwarded to his attorney in his name.  In an effort to keep this all in the open I am inviting certain members of the MMJ community to participate in overseeing the account.  Oversight will generally consist of monitoring the account for any outgoing monies as well as participating in managing the fund (making sure the money gets to its intended destination).  Members who agree to participate in oversight will be named upon their acceptance of the duty.

I expect that money will be disbursed from time to time as it accumulates.  At some point, when it appears gifts are drying up, the account will be closed and all money will be disbursed. 

There may also be designated collectors for the campaign for a boots-on-the-ground effort at various events. 

Lastly, should Carruthers fail to appeal for any reason, or if there is an excess of donations as compared to final cost, the money will go to Cannapac which is a political action committee whose purpose is to support medical marijuana.  More can be found about Cannapac here: http://cannabispatientsunited.org/cannapac

It's time to part with some cash people.  If you like making extracts, etc., then this case affects you.  Let's make this effort a success and not an embarrassment.  It is time to come together for at least this particular sub-cause.  Let bygones be bygones and give freely.   Please note that your donation is a gift to Carruthers and not tax deductible.

edited to add:  Donors will remain confidential.  Although if you do not mind being publicly named you can mention that and I may name some donors.  That may help spur other donating.  I don't know.  Just a guess. 

I was asked for an estimate for costs for appeal.  That is hard to pin down.  A lot will depend on how much of the research and writing from the briefs to the COA can be salvaged and reused at the MSC.  Much more will depend on other factors.  I think it is safe to say that we are looking at near $10k for retainer alone and much more than that to get through oral arguments.

pixel.gif

Guess I'm just saying an experienced high profile MMJ counsel would be nice.

For what?  Window dressing?  I think I would prefer experienced appellate counsel.  The issue on appeal is very narrow.  Doesn't require a mmj trial attorney to argue.  A good oral advocate with half a brain should work just fine.

However, if you don't want to part with $20 because you don't like the attorney choice that is your prerogative.  Maybe the same issue will be appealed in a few years and maybe you will like the attorney then and then maybe you could throw the full force of your financial backing behind the defendant/appellant.

I will start the donations.  This case needs to be funded.

Dr. Bob

well I will be in front or behind you at this time lol, I dont have a paypal addy to send to yet :lolu:

either way im with ya,

Peace

Jim

edit= lol I didnt see the edit above :hair:

Edited by phaquetoo

I'm in with you guys........ I encourage anyone who can help donate to this appeal to PLEASE do so.......... If you can't we understand but if you can........ Then please hit that donate button with whatever you can afford....... Every dollar counts and this appeal is important to almost every patient and caregiver in the state of Michigan. If you have not done so please read up on this case and see what it entails and what is at stake........

I will start with my first donation with more to come........

I stand with you Earl because................ I AM CARRUTHERS................

Edited by ozzrokk

Well said Ozzrokk.  I see a button or sticker in the making . . .

If anyone here watched the Sanjay Gupta, MD., special on CNN then you cannot help but throw a little at this case.  That little girl going through basically round-the-clock seizures was suffering like Chinese water torture.  Imagine seizing all night long and being unable to sleep at 3 or 4 years old.  Having hundreds of seizures a week.  Her life was practically a constant seizure to the point where she became catatonic and withdrew from the world.  That is awful, awful, awful.  If there is a single child in this state that can gain even 1/10th the benefit from cannabis oil that she did then they should be allowed. 

Please give.

Well said Ozzrokk.  I see a button or sticker in the making . . .

Right....... Earl himself said it and I see it as applying to me too...... As many others should as well.......

I could see it now in a setting where after Earl stands and says I Am Carruthers........ One by one me and many many many patients standing one by one saying it one after another....... I Am Carruthers........ Who knows maybe at the Supreme Court.......

Edited to add that I also agree..... Who can sit and let a child go through that but not want to allow the medicine just because of their twisted beliefs on MMJ....... Some would rather see people suffer before they would allow them to use MMJ......... I just don't get that......

Edited by ozzrokk

Thank you for taking the time and energy to do this Caveat. 

I will certainly mention this fundraising effort at our event on the 24th and see what we can come up with to help the cause. 

Although I am NOT Carruthers, this decision has affected us all.  

Edited by northerngal

Thank you all for this effort,,, Sick people need the medicine from the oils of the  cannabis plant  not just the fiber ..  donated  ,, well not donated yet pay pal seems not  working for me,

Error Detected pixel.gif   pixel.gif
Error Message

Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again.

Edited by cristinew

I'm in with you guys........ I encourage anyone who can help donate to this appeal to PLEASE do so.......... If you can't we understand but if you can........ Then please hit that donate button with whatever you can afford....... Every dollar counts and this appeal is important to almost every patient and caregiver in the state of Michigan. If you have not done so please read up on this case and see what it entails and what is at stake........

I will start with my first donation with more to come........

We are all CARRUTHERS!

Thanks for the words and for bumping the thread Pain.  Everyone should at least forward info along to others if you cannot afford to donate. 

Remember, this case affects everyone who extracts oil in any way.  BHO, cannabutter, you name it.  If you value being able to engage in those methods then you really need to donate.  Whatever you can donate will help.  Anything.

Thanks for helping out this guy and all the rest that this ruling effects before i hit the Donate Button could i ask one Question 

What would be anyones idea of what should be done in getting this ruling reverses 

1. a patient can have has much as they need as far as eables or should it count as your 2.5oz?

I don't understand your question.  However, the court ruled that extracts are not protected by section 4.  That is the big problem here. 

If you are implying that edibles are, or should be, in some strange untouchable area of the law then I don't think people agree.  I think some people agree that you should be able to have 2.5 ozs of oil OR bud, or some combination thereof.  Others probably believe that you should only have as much oil as 2.5ozs of bud can yield.  However, neither position matters at this point as you have no immunity for possession of ANY oil right now.

I repeat, you have NO immunity through section 4 for possession of any extract that is segregated from the bud or leaf.  This appeal is all about trying to reverse the COA on this issue.

So give freely and often.  And tell your friends to give as well. 

I donated what I could.  I hope and pray that many of you will do the same.  If your life depends on the oil, please, please help fund this battle, it is for all of the Carruthers in this state.

It sickens me that we must do this to correct the thinking of the COA, but they are what we are up against and we must fight back.