Homeade Gnat Traps

peacefulfield

I know this is a little late but this works pretty good for me.  I recently bought some yellow cardstock, some plastic sheet protectors and made home made gnat traps by cutting the cardboard into pieces. I cut the sheet protectors in half, put the cardboard in and then put a very thin layer of tanglefoot on one side of the sheet protector. I had heard that you have to either get yellow plastic binders (much easier) and cut them up or put some type of plastic over the cardboard or the oils in the tanglefoot seeps through and its not as effective.

I hang them up in the room and use a clip to put one on each plant pot. 

I purchased a huge sheet of yellow cardboard for 1.00 at the dollar store, the sheet protectors at WM for a couple bucks and the tanglefoot at the feed store for 7.00.The store bought gnat traps are pretty expensive at about 1.00 or more per card.

I figured out that I could make 25-30 traps for about 6.00. I could probably have done it for less if I had been able to find yellow plastic binders to cut up. I imagine one could even find yellow plastic that could be cleaned and reused which would make it even cheaper. The tanglefoot will go for a while without buying more as I barley used any when I made 10 traps. You only need a very thin layer. 

This has been working well for me and seem to catch the fliers just fine. I hope this helps someone

NOTE: Tanglefoot is like resin and I had to clean up with rubbing alcohol. 

fungas gnat outbreaks are a symptom of imbalance. Using sprays, oils, bombs, etc does not selectively kill the gnats, but also kills the predators that feed on them. mosquito duncks work, but take a long time to colonize, just like other soil predators. Many growers harvest before their soil ever had a chance to properly compost and colonize.

Prevention is key. overwatering, temp issues, over feeding, humidity issues, air flow, all have much to do with persistent pests. good luck. Jorge Cervantes has a whole chapter on prevention in his grow bible.

good luck, it just gets better!

Try "Microbe-Liftbmc"  Its a natural mosquito control.  Kills the larvae.  Inexpensive and it works well.  2ml/gallon for an infestation .5ml/g for maintenance.  It takes about 2 weeks to really start seeing results.  Use with every watering until they are under control and then 2 times/month with the maintenance dose.  Its the only thing that worked for me.  I use it in conjunction with a layer of sand.  Less than $20. for a bottle and it will last for months.

yep, Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis  comes with various branded names, like mosquito dunks, Microbe Lift, and many more. Its all the same Bti inoculation, done exactly the same way. organic is a key in the labeling because some is mixed with strange articles with no resemblance to an organic product. some soak their dunks in water for a day or to for the liquid experience.

fungas gnat outbreaks are a symptom of imbalance. Using sprays, oils, bombs, etc does not selectively kill the gnats, but also kills the predators that feed on them. mosquito duncks work, but take a long time to colonize, just like other soil predators. Many growers harvest before their soil ever had a chance to properly compost and colonize.

Prevention is key. overwatering, temp issues, over feeding, humidity issues, air flow, all have much to do with persistent pests. good luck. Jorge Cervantes has a whole chapter on prevention in his grow bible.

good luck, it just gets better!

I have a new rule when selecting medium... There must be NO HOLES in the plastic of the bale... I dont care if you spent $100 on a bale of soil from Fiji... If insects can get in after the factory seal your putting yourself at risk... Just like if you walk through your grass in the summer... You can walk right through spider mite nest and bam you walk inside..