/6-Month-Old-Taken-From-Parents-With Video

bobandtorey

LANSING, Mich. (WJBK) -

Chanting "free Bree" a group of about a hundred protesters gathered outside state welfare offices in Lansing, Tuesday. They're upset over the state's decision to remove a 6-month-old baby from her parents' home because they grow and use medical marijuana. The parents claim they have a state sanctioned license to do so.

Maria and Gordon Steven Green use medical marijuana to treat Gordon's multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. A referee made the decision to have Michigan Child Protective Services remove baby Bree, saying the Green's home is unsafe. "They were worried about the possibility of a break in or armed robbery, that kind of thing," said Maria Green.

The baby is now in the care of Maria's mother. Mrs. Green says The Department of Human Services is "stealing" her baby. The Greens insist their home is a safe and loving environment.

Tim Skubick reports that the state of Michigan will not comment about details on cases like this because of privacy issues but the Director of Human Services said this: "The safety and the well being of the child is paramount for any of our investigators when they are doing their job," said DHS spokesman David Ackerly.

Now the family is fighting back with the help of a coalition of attorney, parents, students and legislators. They're calling on the state to recognize and adhere to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, and stop removing children from the homes of licensed medical marijuana caregivers and patients. "We're not going to take it anymore. This is our red line, you take away our kids and we'll revolt," said Detroit attorney Thomas Lavigne.

PRESS RELEASE FROM MICHIGAN MOMS UNITED

CPS: Stop Taking Children from Michigan -- Medical Marijuana Patients and Caregivers

LANSING, MI---On Tuesday, September 17th, a coalition of attorneys, parents, students and legislators will call on the State of Michigan to immediately recognize and adhere to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (The Act), and stop removing children from the homes of licensed medical marijuana caregivers and patients. At least three families who have been targeted by CPS will be speaking to media.

WHAT: Press conference and protest to address the removal of children from licensed medical marijuana caregivers and patients
WHERE: Department of Human Services, 235 S Grand Ave, Lansing, MI 48933
WHEN: Tuesday, September 17th, 12 Noon
WHO: State Rep. Jeff Irwin, Attorneys Thomas Lavigne and Joshua Covert, Steve and Maria Green and other families from across Michigan who have their children removed by CPS due to their status as a medical marijuana patient or caregiver. 

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act was passed with overwhelming support in 2008. Specific protections were written into that voter-initiated law to protect families from removing children from the homes of caregivers and patients who register with the State.

Five years after the enactment of our law, Michigan Child Protective Services (CPS) continues to unjustly remove children from the homes of state sanctioned medical marijuana patients and caregivers.

Michigan Moms United Founder Charmie Gholson said, "Last Friday an Ingham county judge removed 6 month-old Bree Green from her loving parents, despite their status as state-sanctioned medical marijuana patients and caregivers. This is just one of many, widespread incidents throughout Michigan involving CPS agencies that disregard the clearly written protections provided in the Act. Michigan Moms United calls on the State to immediately return this infant to her parents, and adhere to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23457130/6-month-old-taken-from-parents-who-grow-use-medical-marijuana#ixzz2fBzTt9ee

yes indeed, Bob was there as was I.  We had a nice chat and I can say it is always good to see Mr. R.....

Good turnout and noble cause...

I figured Bob would be there.  I didn't see him and get to say hello though :(

I think I may have seen you on my way out??  I smiled and nodded but I was not 100% sure that it was you.  If it wasn't you, I am sure some random guy thought he had an admirer (or that I was a creeper)?! 

We may have made some impact, I understand they called an emergency court hearing for Friday afternoon.  (previous to today they did not have to return to court until October)

Great job everyone! 

Edited by northerngal

Bummer, I didn't get to say hello to either of you.   I figured Bob would be there :)

I think I may have seen you on my way out??  I smiled and nodded but I was not 100% sure that it was you.  If it wasn't you, I am sure some random guy thought he had an admirer (or that I was a creeper)?! 

We may have made some impact, I understand they called an emergency court hearing for Friday afternoon.  (previous to today they did not have to return to court until October)

Great job everyone! 

******ATTENTION IMMEDIATE UPDATE*****

After the press conference today there is an emergency court hearing scheduled in front of Judge Garcia. Friday at 3:30 P.M. Same Location.https://www.facebook.com/events/1418472305040310/permalink/1419385658282308/

Edited by knucklehead bob

Were you in attendance Bob? 

I am sorry that i missed you their and someone did tell me that you where also there i think that i was just all caught up in the rally and thanks to the Marihuana ranch for helping me get their he paid for the gas to get there and back and the great food (Tel-Way burgers ) LOL 

Thanks Ron,Bob, and nay nay, 

I figured Bob would be there.  I didn't see him and get to say hello though :(

Great job everyone! 

i agree  i think we all made a great impact as the workers in the Building where looking out their windows i was bummed out that no one could even use the restrooms in that building that is supposed to be ours and i just may send an E-mail to the ACLU  and  ask them  anywhere else i can think of ?

Because it's not right 

ps i can't wait to meet you

Incidents such as this brings just one question to mind: When will the State of Michigan quit breaking the law?

... too bad the State cannot be jailed for blatantly unlawful behavior...not enough room in the prisons when they're all full of registered MMM patients.

When the judges stop letting them  BTW, judges are elected in Michigan, so maybe I should have said, "When we start electing judges that stop letting them."

Tues and Friday is bad for me this week, on the far reaches of the state. 

But know I am with you and the Greens.  This could have been any of us.  Children removed from their home because there MIGHT be a break in at some time?  This type of logic scares me.

Dr. Bob

And just think about this if you are someone that may just have a lot of money and nice things at your home then they could take there kids as well ?

their maybe a break inn also

A judge ruled Friday Gordon "Steve" and Maria Green will not be granted custody of 6-month-old Bree and her older brother. 

The home was initially deemed unsafe with concerns about the couple's license to grow and use medical marijuana and two children were removed from the household by Child Protective Services. 

The judge says he needs more evidence before the Greens will regain custody of their children. He says he has reason to believe that marijuana was being smoked in front of the children by the parents and also by people coming in and out of the house, and that the room the drug was being grown in was not locked. The parents have a pending felony of manufacturing marijuana out of Oakland Co. that the judge says affected his decision as well. 

The judge ruled Maria is able to visit Bree as often as she likes, as long as it is under the supervision and in the home of Bree's grandmother, who currently has custody of the child.

The medical marijuana is used to treat Gordon's multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. Maria joined in the Let It Rip discussion Thursday night about this issue, and says she has multiple sclerosis too and admits to having used the drug in the past to treat it, but has not smoked it since getting pregnant and giving birth to Bree. 

The Greens continue to fight back with the help of a coalition of attorney, parents, students and legislators. They're calling on the state to recognize and adhere to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, and stop removing children from the homes of licensed medical marijuana caregivers and patients.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23489056/judge-baby-brees-parents-will-not-regain-custody#ixzz2fTFW5lc7

Thanks i heard the show last night and the rest on line today great show thank you and all that make to show every week 

When you get the T.V news involved has it is now a lot of things come out you know how that works and i also Fox had a video on this story and the judge took statements from the Kids asking them where the marihuana was and if they had seen it

I suppose the one positive thing that came out of the emergency hearing today is the family was granted unlimited, supervised visitation with the baby.  Without todays hearing, they were only allowed 3 hours a week, in one hour intervals. 

Bob - Thanks for posting the news report.  This one was more informative than past ones have been.

Edited by northerngal

ok so they take kids because the say they may get broken into, so what if the parents had guns and video survalence!  than for sure they would take them, so now if the parents close up their grow room will they get the kids back?  do they have to quit eating their medibles, oh wait that is ilegal, so a sick person should go in the garage to medicate and tell the kids stay in side, and mom and dad have to take turns using mm! if they had cookies for the kids and cookies for the adults (that the kids have no acces to) wouldnt that be the best way to go?  I can understand not subjecting children to 2nd hand smoke, Ive not done it and never will.

yes I agree, than their should be either no kids or no parents in flint,saginaw, detroit, the kids are killing each other, isnt that the parents fault? or lack of parents fault?  I mean the whole family is just sitting in the house watching t.v and a group of kids do a drive by with and automatic weapon and kill the kids and parents!

Cps sucks!  we had them in our life not to long ago, ive taught my kids about mm, they do know I have my won locked room down stairs, but god as my witness they have never seen the inside of it, if cps asks them about my room I dont want them to be able to describe it to them,

You know I forget why cps was even here, but mm never came up and they never came in the house past my kitchen table, they didnt look around to see if our kids had beds, or food or anything, but we still had to jump thru their hoops and ladders, and the kids had to be embarassed at school when they would go there to talk to them!

I thought we werent supposed to be hassled about being a pt and not loose jobs or be descriminated by anyone?

This needs to be one of the biggest fights!!!  we cant have our kids taken from us for being sick and pts and choosing to use a natural medicine instead of their addicting narcottics,  if us parents were on oxci's and morphine patches this would not be happening,,there is something wrong with this picture!

Peace

Jim

ok so they take kids because the say they may get broken into, so what if the parents had guns and video survalence!  than for sure they would take them, so now if the parents close up their grow room will they get the kids back?  do they have to quit eating their medibles, oh wait that is ilegal, so a sick person should go in the garage to medicate and tell the kids stay in side, and mom and dad have to take turns using mm! if they had cookies for the kids and cookies for the adults (that the kids have no acces to) wouldnt that be the best way to go?  I can understand not subjecting children to 2nd hand smoke, Ive not done it and never will.

yes I agree, than their should be either no kids or no parents in flint,saginaw, detroit, the kids are killing each other, isnt that the parents fault? or lack of parents fault?  I mean the whole family is just sitting in the house watching t.v and a group of kids do a drive by with and automatic weapon and kill the kids and parents!

Cps sucks!  we had them in our life not to long ago, ive taught my kids about mm, they do know I have my won locked room down stairs, but god as my witness they have never seen the inside of it, if cps asks them about my room I dont want them to be able to describe it to them,

You know I forget why cps was even here, but mm never came up and they never came in the house past my kitchen table, they didnt look around to see if our kids had beds, or food or anything, but we still had to jump thru their hoops and ladders, and the kids had to be embarassed at school when they would go there to talk to them!

I thought we werent supposed to be hassled about being a pt and not loose jobs or be descriminated by anyone?

This needs to be one of the biggest fights!!!  we cant have our kids taken from us for being sick and pts and choosing to use a natural medicine instead of their addicting narcottics,  if us parents were on oxci's and morphine patches this would not be happening,,there is something wrong with this picture!

Peace

Jim

I agree Jim we just can't let this one go because if this is left untouched and not challenged CPS will take more kid's last night on the TV news there has been 20 patient so far that the State has taken their Kid's just here inn Mich. 

I hope the MMMA can support this cause and imho This is our REDLINE 

Do you believe that all 20 of those children were taken without "good reason"? 

I do not.  I believe some might have been.

I did not like the referee's wording when he took Bree last Friday.  I did not agree with the reasons he stated.  (regarding safety issues and break in's etc.)   But I do not have ALL the facts in this case.  

In general:

Do you feel a child is "reasonably safe" in the following examples:

Mother and father are registered CG's, they operate a "dispensary" out of there home.  Children are in and out of the room they are "dispensing" out of.

Same scenario as above - but parents meeting someone at the local Burger King that they "met" on Budtrader/Craigslist.  The person online claims they are a PT. but parents have never met them in person.  A child resides in the back seat of the car while this meeting/trade/sale is taking place. 

Registered CG's own and operate a dispensary.  They take their child to "work" with them regularly. 

Now take the same scenarios and apply it to any other scheduled substance - for instance oxycontin or valium.  

Take the same scenarios but apply it to any illegal activity.  For instance, taking a child with you in a "getaway" car while robbing a bank.  Taking a child with you to break into a home.

Do protections of the MMMact apply to you if you are not abiding by the other parts of the MMMact??   (real question here) 

Breaking the law is placing yourself in danger, if children are also "involved" in your breaking of the law - is that not endangering a child?  

*******I am not implying that all of the above scenarios apply to this particular case in anyway. The Green's have not been found guilty in the criminal charges filed against them.   Other parents in some of the referenced "20 cases" have been.  I just wonder what people think in general. ******* 

Unrelated to this scenario, but necessary to point out:

To those that "hate" CPS and do not believe they have a place in our "system"  - perhaps your feelings would be a bit different if you witnessed cases of true abuse/neglect.  Should children be without food for days at a time?  Should children be left to wallow in there own excrement for many hours on end?  Should parents be allowed to punish children by burning them or punching them?  Should children be subject to sexual advances/abuse by "daddy's friend"?   Should we just allow these injustices?  Just because they "own" this child/gave birth to them?  Children are innocent and if their own parents aren't protecting them or keeping them out of danger......who is responsible?  Someone has to stand up for the innocent.  (I am not claiming ALL work done by CPS is fair and just, just trying to point out that there is a need for someone to protect children when their parents are not.)  Until you witness any of the above cases, perhaps I can not convince you.  I guarantee when you see a school aged boy who can not keep shoes on his feet because of the blisters from putting out cigars daily, as punishment for wetting his bed - You will want justice served on the parent doing it!!!!!!!!  How about a 4 year old little girl who can not pee without sobbing in pain because her own parent allowed a neighbor friend to "play doctor" with her?  Do we just allow this behavior and turn the other cheek?  Legally we can't castrate people, we can't beat the crud out of them, we can't kill them......

On the same note, there are indeed cases that are unfair and unjust.  Children removed from homes when allegations have not been proven or things are assumed.  I am not ignoring the existence of those cases.  Not every action by CPS is truly justified.  Please do not believe I would side with a court in these scenarios, just because they are "the court".  Every case is different and each case should be dealt with accordingly.  I do not believe a child should be removed from a home in any case simply because a parent is a patient or CG!  As a parent, I would do anything in my power to get my child back (including going back on pharmaceuticals or ceasing my grow).  Once I had my child back, I would then fight for my rights!!

Edited by northerngal