New Stats: Registry Id Cards Issued For Fiscal Year 2014

t-pain

We are doing our own study of the numbers and finding some very interesting results.  For one, if you add up all the percentages from the state, you come to 102%.  My study comes to 170%.  The only reasonable conclusion is that the state is only counting one condition per patient.  The second interesting thing I am seeing is that my statistics for things like glaucoma and cancer show about 3 times as many patients claim those conditions as the state statistics show.

The only reasonable conclusion is that there appears to be an effort to manipulate the stats to decrease the named conditions like cancer and crohn's while skewing the results for the more minor symptoms like nausea and cramping.

One final note is that there are 19,000 Aids patients in Michigan compared to millions of chronic pain patients.  It is completely understandable that the percentage of Aids patients in the registry should be much smaller than the percentage of pain patients.

Dr. Bob

I don't believe they even read the doctors comments on the forms so specific statistics wouldn't be available for conditions.

Another thing I would like to see statistics on is how many patients are responsible for their own plants. This statistic could easily be acquired by a simple computer search.

There has been an issue with doctors only listing one condition.  I always try and list several 'current' conditions to give the cert more strength in court.  It isn't so much pain caused by 3 different conditions, but pain AND nausea AND spasm.  We should all be doing that to show cannabis is being used for several reasons.  Just makes the 'medical use' argument stronger in my opinion.

Dr. Bob

• 6 months later...

the new stats are out:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BHCS_MMMP_MCL_333.26426i12345_11-12-14_474028_7.pdf

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BHCS_MMMP_PA_252_2014_Report_11-12-14_474027_7.pdf

Specifically, the information provided is based on data from October 1, 2013 through

September 30, 2014.

Total registered patients : 96,408

seems like a lot of patients dropped off?

but wait, the statistics report the patients APPROVED in FY2014. since the cards are 2 year cards now, this statistic is kinda baloney and does not report the actual total number of patients.

Five (5) registry cards were revoked in Fiscal Year 2014.

During Fiscal Year 2014, there were a total of 1,491 physicians who provided written certifications for qualifying medical marihuana patients.

yeah it seems like they are messing with the statistics. some ulterior motive?

2013:

Name of Debilitating Condition % of Patients Afflicted With Debilitating Condition

AIDS 0.26%

Alzheimers 0.03%

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 0.03%

Cachexia 0.62%

Cancer 2.63%

Crohn’s Disease 0.77%

Glaucoma 1.03%

Hepatitis C 1.32%

HIV 0.27%

Nail Patella 0.02%

Seizures – Epilepsy 1.29%

Severe and Chronic Pain 68.44%

Severe and Persistent Muscle Spasms 18.71%

Severe Nausea 7.68%

Wasting Syndrome 0.62%

HIV or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) 0.75%

Alzheimers 0.05%

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 0.04%

Cachexia 0.94%

Cancer 4.04%

Crohn’s Disease 1.06%

Glaucoma 1.39%

Hepatitis C 1.74%

Nail Patella 0.03%

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) 0.38%

Seizures – Epilepsy 2.05%

Severe and Chronic Pain 93.70%

Severe and Persistent Muscle Spasms 25.66%

Severe Nausea 9.62%

Wasting Syndrome 0.97%

*The total adds up to more than 100% because most patients are diagnosed with more than one debilitating medical condition. The table above shows the percentage of all patients diagnosed with each condition.

Edited by t-pain

Five (5) registry cards were revoked in Fiscal Year 2014.

During Fiscal Year 2014, there were a total of 1,491 physicians who provided written certifications for qualifying medical marihuana patients.

Now that is some awesomeness right there. A true testiment to medical cannabis. Can't argue with success. Can't hide it either apparantly.

an interesting statistic, if anyone wanted to know EXACTLY how many SSI patients there were in our MMMP program. at least the ones that were able to use the discount with the correct forms and papers.

http://www.house.michigan.gov/hfa/PDF/AdministrativeRules/AR_Michigan_Medical_Marihuana.pdf

According to data provided by the department, approximately 22,147 patients qualified for the reduced application fee, which was 18.6% of the total 118,906 initial and renewal applications recieved during FY 2013.

or want to know the current $$$ in the MMMP fund?

As of September 05, 2014, the balance within the Michigan Medical Marihuana Fund is $27.5 million

------------------------------------

Medical Marihuana Program Finances

------------------------------------

Fiscal Year | Revenue       | Expenditures     | Net Revenue     | Fund Balance

FY 09         $ 438,900        $ 130,479          $ 308,421             $ 308.421

FY 10         $ 2.418.651     $ 740.679          $ 1.677.972          $ 1.986.393

FY 11         $ 10.425.423   $ 1.862.300       $ 8.563.123          $ 10.549.516

FY 12         $ 9.896.239     $ 3.755.601       $ 6.140.638          $ 16.690.154

FY 13         $ 10.612.250   $ 3.767.452       $ 6.844.798          $ 23.534.952

FY 14 YTD $ 8.452.909     $ 4.501.609       $ 3.951.300          $ 27.486.252

apologies if i've fatfingered some things while typing that all out. wouldnt let me copy/paste.

update 8/2015:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dhs/Section-265_482320_7.pdf

michigan medical marijuana fund

26,534,952 8,882,419 (5,874,621)

available bal 2014 revenue expenditures

26,542,851 8,600,000 (9,733,499) 25,309,352

avail bal 2015 reveneue expenditures avail balance 2015?

Edited by t-pain

the fund is only for operation of the mich medical marihuana program.

basically, employees, computers, phones, whatever LARA uses to administer the program comes out of that fund.

those funds do not go into the general state fund, and no one can touch the fund money without modifying the MMMA law itself.

(l) The Michigan medical marihuana fund is created within the state treasury. All fees collected under this act shall be deposited into the fund. The state treasurer may receive money or other assets from any source for deposit into the fund. The state treasurer shall direct the investment of the fund. The state treasurer shall credit to the fund interest and earnings from fund investments. Money in the fund at the close of the fiscal year shall remain in the fund and shall not lapse to the general fund. The department of licensing and regulatory affairs shall be the administrator of the fund for auditing purposes. The department of licensing and regulatory affairs shall expend money from the fund, upon appropriation, for the operation and oversight of the Michigan medical marihuana program.

its interesting that the legislature put in an appropriation of 3 million for law enforcement grants, but i'm not sure its legal wrt the MMMA paragraph above.

Edited by t-pain

• 1 month later...

Medical marijuana patients

13. Michigan 146,811

Michigan: Email from Michigan Medical Marihuana Program to ProCon.org, Sep. 23, 2014

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=005889

about right, i expected near 150k patients.

but how did procon get a number? i wasnt able to get a number out of lara.

"State population numbers are estimates from the US Census Bureau's 2013 data. We referenced state websites and called and emailed state officials to update the medical marijuana patient numbers in Oct. 2014. See all sources below."

13: Michigan: Email from Michigan Medical Marihuana Program to ProCon.org, Sep. 23, 2014

From the article.

• 8 months later...

I also believe they are only using one affliction.  I am a patient with a number of debilitating health issues.  My doctor chose one, TMJ, this is a problem for me, however my 3 herniated disks in neck or my degenerative disk disease is far more seriose than the TMJ.  Now this doctor did suggest return visits for massage therepy which was cool.  Nevertheless, only one illness is on the cert.

I had a similar experience. For my initial card, my doctor put down three different conditions. For the renewal: one.

I was not able to meet with my doctor for the renewal this time - a colleague instead, so I wasn't ( haven't, yet) asked why only one condition. She (the colleague) took my notes about dosage, frequency, efficacy, etc. and pass them along with my renewal app to my GP/Certifying physician. The renewal went through without a hitch.

I wondered at the time if selecting only one condition was a LARA thing, or if the medical practice made the decision. Does anyone know?

• 3 weeks later...

My son has always been "dual certified" for pain and nausea. FWIW, he just renewed in the last 30 days and both doctors submitted the paperwork with both pain and nausea checked.

I had a similar experience. For my initial card, my doctor put down three different conditions. For the renewal: one.

I was not able to meet with my doctor for the renewal this time - a colleague instead, so I wasn't ( haven't, yet) asked why only one condition. She (the colleague) took my notes about dosage, frequency, efficacy, etc. and pass them along with my renewal app to my GP/Certifying physician. The renewal went through without a hitch.

I wondered at the time if selecting only one condition was a LARA thing, or if the medical practice made the decision. Does anyone know?