Police Seize More Than 50 Pounds Of Marijuana From Jackson County Dispensary And Nearby House

MICHIGAN CENTER, MI – More than 50 pounds of processed marijuana was seized from Sweet Greens, a medical marijuana dispensary, and a Michigan Center residence by Jackson Narcotic Enforcement Team members, police said.

About 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, JNET members raided Sweet Greens, located at 119 Fifth St, and a residence on Page Avenue. Michigan State Police Detective Lt. Dave Cook, who is the commander of JNET, said 50 to 60 pounds of processed marijuana was seized.

Cook said the operation was still operating as a dispensary, despite a February ruling by the Michigan Supreme Court, that said dispensaries were not protected under the state's medical marijuana law. Shortly after the ruling, Jackson County dispensaries were sent a cease and desist order from the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office.

“Yes, you can grow plants, but you cannot have 60 pounds of processed marijuana and you can only sell to registered patients, and patients can only get it from their registered caregiver,” Cook said. “They were still operating as a dispensary and still selling it over the counter."

Cook said JNET obtained a search warrant for the seizure.

“We have known about it, and it took some time for the investigation,” Cook said. “It was a dispensary and operated as one. On top of that, they were selling to anybody and anyone. They were not following the rules.”

The report will be given to the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office for review of charges. Cook said nobody has been charged at this time, but JNET is seeking charges.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2013/10/more_than_50_pounds_of_marijua.html

you don't think they actually required registration before selling their wares over the counter?

or are you saying you think the people were not registered to each other ?

I am sure they were only selling unregistered caregiver to unregistered patient.  Section 8 will save their business model, because that is what the people's act says in my humble opion....

Dr. Bob

Some see it as greed and stupidity which is exactly what it is.

Im wondering how b.b gets himself shut down and out of town and set up some where else and dont get hit like this, I believe he is trying harder than anything to get hit, maybe thats why he hasnt? or maybe just maybe............you can fill in the blanks!

Peace

p.s where you been gorilla man lmao! hope all is well!

you don't think they actually required registration before selling their wares over the counter?

or are you saying you think the people were not registered to each other ?

My point is I am mocking all the fancy dancing to justify dispensaries selling pounds at a time under the MMMA.  The law is clear stick to your 5 patients and stop presenting these profiteers as unjustly prosecuted heros.  They are trying to use the MMMA and their 'spin' on it to do little more than move large quantities of cannabis.  Patients and healthcare have nothing to do with it.  Nor does the MMMA/People's Initiative.  If they want to have a dispensary, wait until the law is made allowing it.

Dr. Bob

Totally agree !

My point is I am mocking all the fancy dancing to justify dispensaries selling pounds at a time under the MMMA.  The law is clear stick to your 5 patients and stop presenting these profiteers as unjustly prosecuted heros.  They are trying to use the MMMA and their 'spin' on it to do little more than move large quantities of cannabis.  Patients and healthcare have nothing to do with it.  Nor does the MMMA/People's Initiative.  If they want to have a dispensary, wait until the law is made allowing it.

Dr. Bob

Interested in opinions.  You can only get marijuana from your registered caregiver?

Does this mean that Caregivers can only grow marijuana for their patients?

According to the law, you should be able to acquire medicine legally from anywhere.  Even a drug dealer hanging out on a street corner.

According to the MSC, you can only grow medicine for your 5 PTs.

I used to interpret the law this same way, but then an attorney lightened my (money) load and explained till I was satisfied.

please show me the "new law" allowing me to buy cannabis from criminals please. I now understand that Under the MMMA, patients can choose to either cultivate their own medical marijuana in an enclosed, locked facility or to designate a caregiver to do so for them

This is a quote from the judge on the new laws case. He says this of the courts decision, as the only one who did not agree with it.

"The new law passed with a 4-1 vote, with the lone opponent, Justice Michael Cavanagh, realizing the obvious.

“Qualified patients who are in need of marijuana for medical use, yet do not have the ability to either cultivate marijuana or find a trustworthy caregiver, are…deprived of an additional route,” quoted The Oakland Press of a statement Cavanagh made."

Edited by grassmatch

please show me the "new law" allowing me to buy cannabis from criminals please.

No "new" law just the same old one.

Rule 27. (1) A qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for the medical use of marihuana in accordance with the act, if the qualifying patient possesses an amount of marijuana that does not exceed the following:

a] Two and one-half (2.5) ounces of usable marijuana.

b] If the qualifying patient has not specified that a primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marijuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

c] Any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and roots.

The patient can obtain it anywhere and their possesion is protected from prosecution.

(2) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for assisting a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department’s registration process with the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the act, if the primary caregiver possesses an amount of marijuana that does not exceed the following:

a] Two and one-half (2.5) ounces of usable marijuana for each registered qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department’s registration process.

b] For each registered qualifying patient who has specified that the primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marijuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

c] Any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots.

(3) An individual may simultaneously be registered as a qualifying patient and as a primary caregiver.

The caregiver is protected only for those patients who are registered to them by the State and only if the amounts don't exceed the guidelines. That is my understanding of the law.

Edited by Wild Bill

IMHO the dispensaries that have stayed open post McQueen, are viewed very negatively in Lansing by Rep's and Senators, and likely it is one reason that their bill, HB 4271 has not gotten a hearing in the House Judiciary.

And nothing is going to happen in 2014 with it being an election cycle year.

Like Bob Dylan said:  "you find out when you reach the top, you're really on the bottom..."