Dte Energy Saver Letter

Kingdiamond

You power monger you !!

I got this also, and figure if we were neighbors within the few mile radius, both of our scores would have been skewed by our own usage curve.

good thing they dot name the power pigs on that letter !

wait till they suggest a "power audit" where they come to make sure your quantum ballasts are running efficiently !

I think I read about some third party company selling this service to the energy providers, like DTE.  The sales pitch was that folks would now become conscious of their power usage and try to do better than their neighbors.  They would compete and use less energy overall.

I recall thinking at the time that they were showing the whole neighborhood who were the energy hogs and that this could be bad for grower anonymity.  Glad to see that only the user is shown his own usage along with an average number for the neighbors.

For those requesting to opt out prior to installation, there will be a one-time charge of $69.39 and for those already with a new smart meter but want it removed the one-time cost will be $123.91. For all of those in the opt-out program using traditional meters that need monthly reading by Consumers Energy employees, the additional charge will be $9.72 a month, according to the MPSC order.

found this

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/06/those_wanting_to_opt_out_of_th.html

I have no smart meters, I got the letter for the first time. I am positive that data is collected, but not specifically find growers, as much as to find the power hogs, and try to "help" them. Ikea is installing a 3.2kw(?) system for cheap I hear, and the others prices drop monthly. I believe my 7k$ will return more money to me sitting in solar panels, than sitting in a savings account. Safer too !

Smart meters send constant real time messages to their offices. Their computer are definitely programmed to understand the complex algorythms produced by various electricity uses. They most definitely will detect timers, the fridge, ballasts, pumps, fans, heaters, etc, and will know the exact time of each powered up and down, with precise energy consumption usage details.

they have said the intent of these meters is to speed up billing and eliminate the meter reader, and most importantly to detect power theft. They admit that this is a perfect excuse to enter your property and inspect your current electric meter and its connections, while looking for any alterations. Money is their bottom line, and grow houses that pay their bills are on the rise, as is their profits almost over night in areas. I suspect as long as bills are paid in a timely manner, and no theft is taking place, that the higher your usage amount is the less chance of being hassled you may have.

that is  until the police gain access to these algorithms, and then are able to "search and discover"  a license for the operation, as I doubt the electric company has to comply with any privacy issues. HIPPA does not protect private information, only the way it is transferred(shared, faxed, emailed, texted etc)) with another interested party, remember that.

The reason for any power company to point our your above-average use is simple.  The utility company doesn't own the transmission network (electrical lines/gas lines), and their profit is limited on the actual cost of the gas or electricity.  They make their money off of monthly meter charges.  This is key to understanding their business.  The more meters they can hang on the current transmission network, the more money they make.  This is why you see Consumers Energy and DTE, etc. encouraging lower use and assisting with brownfield/blight redevelopment.  The more meters they can hang on the existing infrastructure, the more money they make.  So, while growers paying their bills on-time are OK with the utility company, they would still much rather have you reduce your use by 75% so they have room for three additional meters in that network.   That way, they can charge the same net total for the energy consumed and the transmission of said energy, but instead of $8/month for one meter, they get $32 for four meters.

It is like if you owned a gas station and charged a $1 "service fee" for every fill-up.  You'd rather have four people buy 10 gallons each rather than one guy who buys 40 gallons.

I'm not aware of a single case ever in MI where a utility company tried to "out" a grower by sharing utility information with LEOs.

Edited by Highlander

They admit that this is a perfect excuse to enter your property and inspect your current electric meter and its connections, while looking for any alterations.

you mean like every month how they enter my property to read my old meter and its connections? lol.

its just an energy saving tip.

'hey buddy, your neighbors use less power, maybe its time to ditch that old fridge, that old tv, and get a new energy star one'.

same thing the energy company has been saying for decades.

dte gets tax breaks if they encourage energysavings.

have you seen those kits they give out? low-flow shower heads? dual flush 1.3l toilets? cfl lights? its all to reduce energy and water!

not in Michigan, but still happens.

My meter man just reads my meter(s) and leaves. He never looks for broken tags or diversions. I am positive the high usage is noticed, and ignored for 5 years.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120129/PC1602/301299979

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/power-drain-leads-police-to-pot-bust

only things I found was this. seems like they do start more fires than the analog models, and the do produce RF, so don't let the tin foil hat slip off !

http://sagereports.com/smart-meter-rf/

I don't think DTE would help anyone to cut your electricity use in half, by reporting an extra usage home, as long as the bill is paid. I don't fear the blue man, or the meter reader. I am an American, and in compliance with all of my states' laws. Our county has seen our faces and heard our voices. they are well aware of what many of us do. they don't care, until the moment we don't comply with the rules.

Edited by grassmatch

For those requesting to opt out prior to installation, there will be a one-time charge of $69.39 and for those already with a new smart meter but want it removed the one-time cost will be $123.91. For all of those in the opt-out program using traditional meters that need monthly reading by Consumers Energy employees, the additional charge will be $9.72 a month, according to the MPSC order.

found this

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/06/those_wanting_to_opt_out_of_th.html

Sounds weird, but last night I looked into building a ported Faraday cage for mine, and porting it towards the basement window.  A smart water meter, not electric.

Probably not.  But it's logical the utility company sells that info to the Federal government, who in turn probably use it on a local level, or have it as an option.  You're probably safe under 10,000 KWH.

Have you heard about any case in Michigan where the feds kicked in a door based on high electricity usage?  I have not.