Dte Energy Saver Letter

Kingdiamond

I'm not aware of a single case ever in MI where a utility company tried to "out" a grower by sharing utility information with LEOs.

Maybe right but it is common for LEO to "out" a grower by requesting these records and saying, "ah hah, house #77 is using 4x the energy as his neighbors, he is growing weed"

If you dont believe me, read the affidavit for the 27 arrested in the west michigan wrap up.

Maybe right but it is common for LEO to "out" a grower by requesting these records and saying, "ah hah, house #77 is using 4x the energy as his neighbors, he is growing weed"

If you dont believe me, read the affidavit for the 27 arrested in the west michigan wrap up.

Yes I recall reading that too.

True, but what kind of schmuck grows too many plants?  I figure the few regular posters here are tidy and legal like me. I am purposely under count daily, and a new plant count also happens daily, and documented in the room to show responsible intent(per lawyer)

All of this conversation/forum  is a moot point, if law breaking is the intent.  No sympathy for persons not respectful of our Act, ultimately reflecting upon all of us who are responsible. Growing more than your allotted plant count is criminal, and not necessary, if growing for five legal  patients.

as a "sniffer" on the face of a cop can be challenged today 

i agree

but there would be no challenge to anything if your over plant count 

Edited by grassmatch

This is my opinion but I highly doubt they track commercial properties.  Each commercial property is different and cannot be compared by the square feet like a house can. 

I have a buddy who had a second meter put in for his grow barn.  He told them he uses a lot of welding equipment and needed a separate billed line.  They were happy to put one in and he has not had any troubles.

Thus the reason we all have to cross our T's and dot our I's meaning stay at your legal amounts so your defense is in place .

nope, it uses radio frequencies to communicate periodically in real time with the power company, thus eliminating the meter reader.

So if the DTE guy just points a little machine at you meter,is that a smart one? I never saw this letter before. All DTE does for us is a recorded call every month to tell us to keep the dogs in. Man I hope I remember that........... :crazysmile:

I use to get letter that questioned my low usage. People were at the house 3-4 times a year to replace the meter ( I guess I was doing something to slow the roll). Finally, I was sent a letter asking what was I doing that allowed my bills to be so much lowers than my neighbors. I replied that I was unable to answer because I had a habit of keeping my nose in my own business, thus not in a position to know or care what my neighbors were doing. The harassment stopped.

Nice !   you all see, they're interested in catching power theft, not power users.  They love us, and surely make lunch room jokes about our craft.

We're all legal, with no state hassles, so no worries.

I use to get letter that questioned my low usage. People were at the house 3-4 times a year to replace the meter ( I guess I was doing something to slow the roll). Finally, I was sent a letter asking what was I doing that allowed my bills to be so much lowers than my neighbors. I replied that I was unable to answer because I had a habit of keeping my nose in my own business, thus not in a position to know or care what my neighbors were doing. The harassment stopped.

• 6 months later...

The city I live in sent out a notice stating we had to call and make an appointment to have them come out and put a new electric meter and a water meter, my electric is through the city along with my sewer, water, my gas is through Consumers( Are we confused yet).

I was told that if I didn't let them do it then my water would be shutoff.

What I really don't like is that they have to come into my basement to change the water meter.

More and more I hate it here