Need A Diagnosis

These pics are of a Sour Lifesaver. I feed it the same as all my other strains (GH) and use the same ph (avg. 6.2), yet I consistently get a number of curled, twisted, leathery leaves. I don't believe it's from nitrogen toxicity since the leaves don't get too dark green. This is grown in Promix and flowered under 1000w HPS, by the way. Also, it tends to turn yellow all at once in flower earlier than one would expect. I figure it needs more nitrogen when it does that, so I up the base nutes. I've never grown this strain before so I don't know what's normal, or whether it needs a different amount of nutes or a different ph. Anyone know?

post-13917-0-80117700-1383458978_thumb.jpg

post-13917-0-62364800-1383459008_thumb.jpg

post-13917-0-11575800-1383459030_thumb.jpg

As far as I know "more" nutes fix nothing if you're already supplying them. I would water with fresh water for a few days, and then use half strength nutes.  yellow leaves deep into flower mean nothing, take a look around the foliage outside towards the end of the season, when plants are finished producing seeds for next year.

The curled leaves are a direct result of nutrient burn. No worries though, your plants look awesome and should recover 100%, even if you change nothing.

lookin good man!

Do you flush the soil before putting them into flower? They may be experiencing nutrient lockout due to fertilizer salt buildup in the soil?

Are the buds in the pictures all on the same plant? Some of them look mature while others look 3 weeks old. If the plant is almost mature then flushing at this point will do nothing.

I grow around 25 strains at once, and have grown out more than 100 different strains from various sources, mostly trusted. every plant did fine in rocks, the exact same room with the exact same nutes in the same ratio's in hydro. I now use promix/happy frog, and the recycled dirt from my worm farms and no bottled nutrients.. Every plant is fed the same, watered the same, and everyone is even happier than when in hydro.  they all finish in roughly 50-70days, except for some African exotics or the like. A couple over the years were finicky, and I culled them. Less is more as far as nutrients go I think. I checked my ph a couple times in hydro, always the same, and a couple times in dirt, still the same. I haven't checked ph in over three years, I feel lucky. spring water helps me I think. I do not fertilize at all in veg, just promix/happy frog, which would not support a flowering plant very well, so I transplant into recycled dirt trays, with no other fertilizers but the what the worms gave me.

What's confusing about this is that I treat the Sour Lifesaver exactly as I do every other plant. That's what got me to thinking that it's something unique to this strain. 

As far as the yellowing goes, these tend to yellow quite early in flower, and the whole plant yellows, making it look like it has a deficiency. Normally the yellowing starts at the bottom and works it's way up. 

Nope, I don't flush before flower. I have been thinking of changing to Dynagro nutes since I've read they don't have the salt build-up of GH.  

The third pic does have some other plants in it. As you can see, not all the leaves on the SLS curl or twist. But every one I've grown has had this problem. 

Curiously, a SLS I put in flower recently almost looks over-fed. It's dark green, much darker than the others, yet it shows no sign of nute burn. The one in the pics was never this green. 

Also, I learned the hard way to cut my nutes in half from the GH chart. At least the base nutes. Should the other additives (Floralicious Plus, FloraBlend, etc., be cut in half too? I've been feeding my plants more than half of those, but not nearly full strength. 

What's confusing about this is that I treat the Sour Lifesaver exactly as I do every other plant. That's what got me to thinking that it's something unique to this strain. 

As far as the yellowing goes, these tend to yellow quite early in flower, and the whole plant yellows, making it look like it has a deficiency. Normally the yellowing starts at the bottom and works it's way up. 

Nope, I don't flush before flower. I have been thinking of changing to Dynagro nutes since I've read they don't have the salt build-up of GH.  

The third pic does have some other plants in it. As you can see, not all the leaves on the SLS curl or twist. But every one I've grown has had this problem. 

Curiously, a SLS I put in flower recently almost looks over-fed. It's dark green, much darker than the others, yet it shows no sign of nute burn. The one in the pics was never this green. 

Also, I learned the hard way to cut my nutes in half from the GH chart. At least the base nutes. Should the other additives (Floralicious Plus, FloraBlend, etc., be cut in half too? I've been feeding my plants more than half of those, but not nearly full strength. 

All things considered, it seems like the problem is inherent in the plant/strain. It seems that there are some that are just too finicky or too touchy to waste time on.

• 4 months later...