Write To Your Senator And Representative On Sb660

washtenaut

From this article posted earlier in this thread,

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2013/09/23/Prairie-Plant-Plant-Systems-Medical-Marijuana-Monopoly-Back

There is the following about radiating cannabis to kill bacteria.

In order to kill hazardous bacteria, the PPS marijuana is bombarded with Gamma radiation. According to Health Canada's website, "The product has been irradiated by gamma irradiation to reduce to undetectable levels, potentially harmful bacteria and microbial load which may cause spoilage of product. The lowest dose required is utilized for the irradiation process (i.e. 10 kilogray - standard level for herbs and spices), ensuring that the chemical characteristics of the marihuana product are not altered."

"Gamma irradiation is a controversial decontamination technique that has never been studied for safety in smoked or inhaled products anywhere in the world," CSA wrote in its letter. "Although it effectively destroys most bacteria, it does not destroy viruses or mycotoxins, and is often used to cover up biological contamination resulting from poor production, processing or handling practices. One of the bi-products of gamma irradiation is the production of Unique Radiolytic Products, which are a new class of chemicals resulting from irradiations that are not otherwise found in nature. Of significance in the gamma irradiation of whole plant cannabis is the potential production of cyclobutanones, which are toxic, carcinogenic chemicals that form when fats are subjected to gamma irradiation, and which have been directly linked to the development of colon cancer in rats. In addition, gamma irradiation has been shown to destroy terpenes like myrcene and linalool, which have known therapeutic properties and are found in high concentrations in some strains of whole-plant cannabis."

So it has been shown to degrade cannabis and to turn it toxic. All members of the House Judiciary committee will have to know that.

http://www.housedems.com/committees/testifying

Note that you can get email updates and have the schedule sent to you.

House Committees Testifying

If a bill of interest to you has been introduced, find out from the Clerk of the House, the Secretary of the Senate or an interested organization which committee the bill was referred to. You may then write a brief letter to the Committee Clerk for that committee asking to be notified when the bill is put on the committee agenda for discussion or is scheduled for a public hearing. You also may write to the Committee Chair requesting that the bill be put on the agenda or scheduled for a hearing. Sometimes only the volume of letters on a particular bill will assure that it receives a committee hearing, since not all bills are "automatically" considered. Many die without ever having been considered by a committee. If you find out about a bill after it has passed the House or Senate, you may still have the opportunity to be heard before the committee in the other Chamber to which the bill has been referred.

It is important to note that attention given to bills in regular committee meetings may not be as extensive as in a public hearing because of time limitations. A committee may be regularly scheduled to meet for an hour, and may need to consider three or four bills during that timeframe. A public hearing, on the other hand, may consist of testimony on a single issue for more than three hours. However, only major pieces of legislation or bills in which there is widespread interest will normally be scheduled for public hearings.

When a bill is scheduled on the committee's agenda for consideration, and if you have an active interest in the legislation and feel there are contributions you can make to the committee's process, you may decide to testify at either a meeting or a hearing. The purpose of testimony given should be informational so that committee members can vote on the bill with as full an understanding as possible of all sides of the issue it addresses, and the consequences of its passage. In a meeting, the bill's sponsor, along with experts on the issue and informed members of the public, will be heard. If the measure is controversial or if additional information is needed before a decision can be reached by the committee's members, most committees will hold the bill over for a future meeting date or even a public hearing.

The following guidelines are suggested to assist citizens in making their testimony influential and effective:

1. Write to committee members and to your own Representative, simply expressing support or opposition to the legislation.

2. If you decide to testify, notify the committee as soon as possible of your desire and, as a courtesy, let your legislators know that you've asked for time to present testimony.

3. If you represent a group of individuals or an organization, choose only one person to present the group's viewpoint and bring others along as supporters.

4. Prepare testimony and/or suggested amendments in advance. Read the bill carefully and any available analyses. If necessary, do research and make sure that all of your facts, background materials and figures are accurate. Consult with others to determine the scope of the issue and clarify what you, or the group, want to cover in your testimony.

5. Prepare a clear and concise written statement, which has been thoroughly proofread for errors. Review it with others who share the same interest.

6. When you testify, identify who you are. If you represent a group, give the name of the group. In your opening remarks, state whether you are testifying in support of or in opposition to the proposal or bill. Relate your group's experiences or your own views directly related to the issue.

7. Keep your testimony short and to the point. It is best to offer highlights at the hearing and request permission to place your complete position and supporting materials on the record. Anything you present in writing will be placed in the committee members' files and will be available to them at any future meetings. If possible, have copies of testimony available for committee members and staff.

8. Avoid emotional speeches and propaganda. Your role is an important one; don't abuse it. Getting emotional and pitching propaganda is the surest way to invite a hostile reaction and alienate the very committee members you are trying to persuade.

9. If you are asked a question, keep a cool head. Don't be afraid to stop and think for a minute to answer the question properly. If you don't have the answer, never guess. Instead, request permission to file a detailed response at a later date.

Remember, without the support of the committee involved, the bill or proposal that you are interested in may never make it to the floor to be voted on. Even if you decide not to testify, your attendance at a hearing and personal correspondence with committee members and your own legislators are very important in influencing the decision-making process.

✭ State of Michigan
Find my Representative

enews.png Sign up for updates

Receive news and information about key issues.

facebook.png
twitter.png
youtube.png
  • taskforces-banner.jpg
  • FightSchoolCutsButton.png
  • foreclosure_lifeline.png
- See more at: http://www.housedems.com/committees/testifying#sthash.xsgFp4ew.dpuf

I

Edited by GregS

thanks for that !  I don't much believe anything the fda says, dirty scoundrels

From this article posted earlier in this thread,

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2013/09/23/Prairie-Plant-Plant-Systems-Medical-Marijuana-Monopoly-Back

There is the following about radiating cannabis to kill bacteria.

In order to kill hazardous bacteria, the PPS marijuana is bombarded with Gamma radiation. According to Health Canada's website, "The product has been irradiated by gamma irradiation to reduce to undetectable levels, potentially harmful bacteria and microbial load which may cause spoilage of product. The lowest dose required is utilized for the irradiation process (i.e. 10 kilogray - standard level for herbs and spices), ensuring that the chemical characteristics of the marihuana product are not altered."

"Gamma irradiation is a controversial decontamination technique that has never been studied for safety in smoked or inhaled products anywhere in the world," CSA wrote in its letter. "Although it effectively destroys most bacteria, it does not destroy viruses or mycotoxins, and is often used to cover up biological contamination resulting from poor production, processing or handling practices. One of the bi-products of gamma irradiation is the production of Unique Radiolytic Products, which are a new class of chemicals resulting from irradiations that are not otherwise found in nature. Of significance in the gamma irradiation of whole plant cannabis is the potential production of cyclobutanones, which are toxic, carcinogenic chemicals that form when fats are subjected to gamma irradiation, and which have been directly linked to the development of colon cancer in rats. In addition, gamma irradiation has been shown to destroy terpenes like myrcene and linalool, which have known therapeutic properties and are found in high concentrations in some strains of whole-plant cannabis."

no, i mean is there a scientific study done on how irradiation does or does not affect the chemical properties of whatever is irradiated?

because its not on health canadas site.

My mistake. The citation is in washtenaut's posts. I regret the error. I have college credits in general and inorganic and organic chemistry, biology, and zoology. Then there is wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irradiation) and google. Radiation affects short and long chain hydrocarbons, which are entirely the molecular form of the medicinal chemicals in cannabis. It does little in the way of altering inorganic chemicals (which by definition are not short or long chain hydrocarbons) which do not have a carbon or carbon/hydrogen base. Among those are nutrients and chemical grow additives and heavy metals. Inasmuch as radiation kills microorganisms and pests, so does heat. Decarboxylyzation does the same damm thing. So does chemical extraction.

We have total control of sterility, not to mention quality. There is no argument that homegrown cannabis is unsafe, but it is rather safer, because we control the impurities closely. I mean c'mon. Think AHO and vaping. I am dismayed at the COA's part in Carruthers.

Edited by GregS

The bill will be in  the Judiciary Committee (http://house.michigan.gov/MHRPublic/CommitteeInfo.aspx?comkey=232) any time now. It will remain throughout testimony, debate, and lobbying. The MSC and Prosecutors' ssociation can be expected to work behind closed doors and in testimony. Schuette is assuredly working the game. Communication should be primarily to the committee members at this time, although it is smart to let your rep, if not a committee member, know that you are aware the legislation is coming their way and is likely to come to a vote on the floor of the House, and any objection you might have for any or all of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a reply from representative Irwin

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting me to oppose Senate Bill 660, which would allow medical marijuana to be sold in Michigan pharmacies if federal law is changed to reclassify marijuana from its present status as a Schedule 1 controlled substance. This bill has passed the Senate and is before the House Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member.

I do not support SB 660 as it is currently written. I am concerned because the legislation was pushed through the Senate quickly, without much time for debate or amendment. I see no reason for such haste, as SB 660 will have no effect at all unless the federal government changes longstanding policy on marijuana.

I am a strong supporter of the rights of patients and caregivers under the Medical Marijuana Act, and I will not support legislation if I believe it would harm access for patients. I have also introduced legislation to decriminalize marijuana possession for non-medical purposes.

Thank you again for writing to me about this issue.

Sincerely,

Jeff Irwin