Doctors Dropping Patients

Your in pain, you go to your doctor and ask for a prescription refill, they catch word that you have a medical marijuana card and refuse to see you again as their patient....why? Because the large corporations and hospitals are federally funded and it is illegal at the federal level to have marijuana or prescribe it.

I found that Denali Healthcare is now picking up a lot of these patients and is able to help them with their narcotics and medical marijuana use.

Have you had an experience like this?

Your in pain, you go to your doctor and ask for a prescription refill, they catch word that you have a medical marijuana card and refuse to see you again as their patient....why? Because the large corporations and hospitals are federally funded and it is illegal at the federal level to have marijuana or prescribe it.

I found that Denali Healthcare is now picking up a lot of these patients and is able to help them with their narcotics and medical marijuana use.

Denali Healthcare prescribes narcotics ?

Tight lips be the rule...

Sad but a common opinion

Education is the Key.

Hemp must be commonplace.  Spoken of FREELY

Furthermore these fine doctors have expanded their education into hemp and Now can Appreciate its potential.....kudos docs

The system we enjoy here in Michigan is by far the best in the Nation. 

Edited by beourbud

Dr. Andrew Madak in Rochester Hills is another to avoid. He was my doctor until he threatened to drop me because I had a medical card, I tried to discuss it with him before I was certified to see if he would be willing to help me out, I refuse all narcotic pain killers because of the damage they do to the rest of your body and that has been my policy before MMJ was available in Michigan I dealt with the pain instead of getting doped up on synthetic heroin. Now because I didn't want to rot away in my bed on pills all day he says well your pain can't be that bad if you didn't want any prescriptions before and kept going on about how the prescriptions that he tried to give me were much safer than mj, mj has no medical value, its all a sham blah blah blah. He then stopped my anxiety medication on the spot, ordered that I go for drug testing before he would even consider any medication what so ever. I refused because I'm not a criminal and I should not have to be subjected to drug testing just deal with anxiety and panic attacks and have been doctorless and medication less for the last two years. I can't find a single doctor to even have an educated conversation with me on either manner, and Dr. Madak forwards a nice note in my charts about being a drug user because I use MJ to any other doctor that requests my records. I have given up and go through every day one panic attack at a time with no help from doctors or medication. 

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-andrew-madak-2hdrf

That is actually a typical story.  We are kind of a clinic of last resort for those people that use MMJ but still require pain meds.  We accept their choice of alternative medication but will work with opiates and other meds to control their pain at the same time.  It also gives us an opportunity to reduce the amount of narcotics on the street by using very conservative pain management.  We try to give the minimum needed to control the pain with no extra.

Dr. Bob

Sad but a common opinion

Education is the Key.

Furthermore these fine doctors have expanded their education into hemp and Now can Appreciate its potential.....kudos docs

Sorry, but that's not reality. There are too many horror stories with doctors dropping patients & hospitals refusing certain treatments for cannabis users.

And the system we have in Michigan is ambiguous in many ways, as well as often being subject to the interpretive whims of local law enforcement and courts.

Welcome to our site and our world lol!

I was seeing the same doc for 12 yrs, I asked her about mm and what she thought about it, I was hoping I could get her to write my cert!  she told me she was dead set against it and thought it was just away for pot heads to smoke it legaly!  Now remeber this doc had been writing me methadone and axanax for yrs and yrs..So I find a mm friendly dr, I get my records from my dr.'s large building of an office,

I go to the mm friendly dr. and get my cert, the next time I go to my dr. she does a urine screen on me for the 1st time in 12 yrs.

I have mm in my system, she asks me if I have a card, I say yes and she asks to see it,  she leaves the room, comes back gives me a months worth of rx's and tells me she wont see me any longer, mid michigan wont let their dr.s have mm pt's  Now ive been on meds she got me hooked on for a long long time, It took me longer then a month to find a dr to write my pain pills, and Ive gone off of them and wound up in i.c.u, so I call her office, and I say ok I have not found a dr. yet, Im almost out of meds, should I check into the hospital or are you going to write me my meds, I get my meds, she says she needs to know imediatly when I get a new dr. I check with an attny while im trying to find an mm friendly dr. that writes scripts even if you are an mm pt I find one, my attny says I cant do anything about them quiting me, and I moved on!

Im willing to bet this has happened to many many pts, mine happened because the dr. that certed me let my primary dr. know, after all the med records came from her office, if you find a brick and mortar mm friendly dr. they will let your primary care dr. know, I wasnt given an option, no one ever said at the mm dr that they would notify my primary care dr, I didnty want any meds from the mm dr. only the rec and I was hoping to continue with the dr i was happy with till she quit me!

Such Is Life!

Peace

I was seeing the same doc for 12 yrs, I asked her about mm and what she thought about it, I was hoping I could get her to write my cert!  she told me she was dead set against it and thought it was just away for pot heads to smoke it legaly!  Now remeber this doc had been writing me methadone and axanax for yrs and yrs..So I find a mm friendly dr, I get my records from my dr.'s large building of an office,

I go to the mm friendly dr. and get my cert, the next time I go to my dr. she does a urine screen on me for the 1st time in 12 yrs.

I have mm in my system, she asks me if I have a card, I say yes and she asks to see it,  she leaves the room, comes back gives me a months worth of rx's and tells me she wont see me any longer, mid michigan wont let their dr.s have mm pt's  Now ive been on meds she got me hooked on for a long long time, It took me longer then a month to find a dr to write my pain pills, and Ive gone off of them and wound up in i.c.u, so I call her office, and I say ok I have not found a dr. yet, Im almost out of meds, should I check into the hospital or are you going to write me my meds, I get my meds, she says she needs to know imediatly when I get a new dr. I check with an attny while im trying to find an mm friendly dr. that writes scripts even if you are an mm pt I find one, my attny says I cant do anything about them quiting me, and I moved on!

Im willing to bet this has happened to many many pts, mine happened because the dr. that certed me let my primary dr. know, after all the med records came from her office, if you find a brick and mortar mm friendly dr. they will let your primary care dr. know, I wasnt given an option, no one ever said at the mm dr that they would notify my primary care dr, I didnty want any meds from the mm dr. only the rec and I was hoping to continue with the dr i was happy with till she quit me!

Such Is Life!

Peace

You got screwed Jim. The definition of bona fide in the law states that information regarding your cannabis use is to be provided to your primary care physician by a certifying physician ONLY IF THE PATIENT AUTHORIZES IT. If you were to gently mention, say, litigation or malpractice to these people you might find some satisfaction. It has worked for me in other instances. Doctors pay close attention to that. You can reasonably expect them to pay you off at a lower price than it would cost them to defend a lawsuit. You know. Something small, like in the tens of thousands of dollars range. It costs them approximately $90,000 to defend a case in court to the point of a jury trial, and that is if they win. These are the cases where your attorneys would work on a percentage plus cost.

Edited by GregS

• 1 year later...

Such Is Life!

Peace

Phaquetoo---sorry to revive an old thread but I was curious who this Dr. was that you were getting Methadone & Xanax from. I currently take M'done & Klonopin but my doctor (who I loved--was very compassionate and actually LISTENED to me) just up and quit last week w/ no notice even to his office workers. They don't know yet who, if anyone is gonna fill in or take the doc's place permanently. My next appt wasn't til late July & I'm nervous of the quality of medical professional who may replace my doc.

I'm also not holding out much hope of finding a different doc willing to take me on or to prescribe what I need, because I'm female & kind of young (late 30's). I have degeneration & arthritis in my spine as well as pinched nerves in my hips causing meralgia parasthetica primarily in my thighs. I've also had some parasthesia in my arms & hands. (tingling, numbness, shooting pain). I also suffer from Bipolar Disorder with anxiety, hence the K'pin script.

Thanks for any help you (or any one else) can give me. I live in the Clare area, but am willing to travel as far as Saginaw, Alma, Evart, Houghton Lake or Cadillac as long as you are certain (i.e. have recently seen or know someone who has) a doctor willing to prescribe these things. I don't want to waste time or money visiting a doc who is just going to tell me no. As for MMJ, I am definitely interested in that in the future. But I'm in the middle of a custody dispute w/ my ex and am not going to give Friend of Court any reason to deny my request for full custody or make a referral to CPS (you just never know these days!). Thanks again!

-QA

I had to go to the emergency room quite a few times for debilitating back pain, one time a nurse was pushing me in a wheelchair to the room and I could smell marijuana on me, I thought ugh oh

The Doctor came in the room and I was waiting to be questioned about the smell, but he didn't, obviously the nurse never said anything to him cause he went ahead and ordered strong pain meds

When the nurse came back in to put an IV in me, she asked me when the last time was I smoked marijuana, I told her the night before

I told her why I smoked it, Hep C, fibromyalgia, PTSD , bulging discs, and 6 feet surgeries, she didn't say a darn word accept to say, they should just legalize it , someone was watching over me that day, cause I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't get relief from the pain

By the way, just to make sure there were no little notes from the visit saying I smoked marijuana, I waited a couple days then went and got a copy of my visit, not one word about marijuana

Phaquetoo---sorry to revive an old thread but I was curious who this Dr. was that you were getting Methadone & Xanax from. I currently take M'done & Klonopin but my doctor (who I loved--was very compassionate and actually LISTENED to me) just up and quit last week w/ no notice even to his office workers. They don't know yet who, if anyone is gonna fill in or take the doc's place permanently. My next appt wasn't til late July & I'm nervous of the quality of medical professional who may replace my doc.

I'm also not holding out much hope of finding a different doc willing to take me on or to prescribe what I need, because I'm female & kind of young (late 30's). I have degeneration & arthritis in my spine as well as pinched nerves in my hips causing meralgia parasthetica primarily in my thighs. I've also had some parasthesia in my arms & hands. (tingling, numbness, shooting pain). I also suffer from Bipolar Disorder with anxiety, hence the K'pin script.

Thanks for any help you (or any one else) can give me. I live in the Clare area, but am willing to travel as far as Saginaw, Alma, Evart, Houghton Lake or Cadillac as long as you are certain (i.e. have recently seen or know someone who has) a doctor willing to prescribe these things. I don't want to waste time or money visiting a doc who is just going to tell me no. As for MMJ, I am definitely interested in that in the future. But I'm in the middle of a custody dispute w/ my ex and am not going to give Friend of Court any reason to deny my request for full custody or make a referral to CPS (you just never know these days!). Thanks again!

-QA

I have a dr. in standish who is my primary care dr. when I first found her she would renew me and give my all of my pain meds, now they joined st.mary's and wont renew me, but she knows I have my card and still gives me my meds, she dont urine screen me for that reason I imagine, although I get blood work, physicals and every thing else from her, if you are interested pm me and I will give you her name and phone number. Im positive she will do all that you want except write your rec or renew, that I go some where else for, I can give you that dr. also, he is actualy a member here!

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

I feel your pain with the doctors. I moved to Traverse City from Metro Detroit a couple years ago. I quickly found out all the doctors associated with Munson Health Centers in Northern Michigan can't write recommendations due to hospital policy. The only docs in Northern Michigan that write recommendations are those that travel from their main offices out of Lower Michigan. I was able to travel back to Metro Detroit to renew my recommendation. I find hospitals who descriminate against medical marijuana users are in violation of the Medical Marijuana Act and they should be prosecuted. It's very frustrating for me; because, I don't take pain killers and I never have been dependant on any narcotics. It's just ignorant that Doctors can easily write opiate prescriptions with little restrictions; where MMJ users have to jump through hoops and always look over their shoulders.

Also, my family doctor out in Metro Detroit was seeing another family member at the same time as me. The doctor graduated from the University of Bagdad. For several years the doctor has been giving my relative opiates and morphine like candy. The doctor was always asking my family member about my personal MMJ habits. When I would finally visit my doctor once a year for a checkup, he knew everything about me before I even got there. The doctor would ask me questions about my other family member he was seeing. Needless to say, my relative continues to see this doctor and has been continuously prescribed opiates since Viet Nam. My relative has overdosed several times, falls asleep while eating at the dinner table; and he has been hospitalized for suicide multiple times. Most of my relatives won't try MMJ or even use cannabis topicals due to the fear of their doctors dropping them.

Our health care system is a nightmare.

Sad but a common opinion

Education is the Key.

Hemp is for out door farmers, they make paper, canviss, and anything you can make with a tree, plus fuel, hemp is not what people use for medicine it is for making clothes, rope, pretty much anything, it dont have thc in it, if it does it is very low and does no one any good for meds,

cannabiss is for meds cannibiss has flowers that can be smoked or eaten or extractions, ie oil, tinctures, cannabutter, etc!

I just thought I would catch you up on the diff between hemp and cannabiss, ie mm, mj, mmj, weed, smoke, maryjane, ghanga!

Todays lessons are now over, have a great day :yahoo-wave:

Peace :watching: