Chloramine

Chloramine won't off gas like chlorine. It has to be filtered out, letting your water sit out or bubbling it won't remove the chloramine. It's much more stable and remains for long periods of time. Chloramine doesn't off gas the same as if you mixed bleach and ammonia. They are moving to replace chlorine in all city water supplies because of a federal regulation. It has to do with cancerous compounds created by chlorine when it comes into organic material in the water. Chloramine is less reactive and creates less of these compunds known as trihalomethanes (THMs). They are still created with chloramine but in fewer numbers. Once the water has reached the home you don't need the chloramine anymore, it has done its job.

don't forget to snap one of those on your shower head also, this is where the mustard gas gets you !

"IN THE LATE AFTERNOON OF April 22, 1915, members of a special unit of the German Army opened the valves on more than 6000 steel cylinders arrayed in trenches along their defensive perimeter at Ypres, Belgium. Within 10 minutes, 160 tons of chlorine gas drifted over the opposing French trenches, engulfing all those downwind. Filled with pressurized liquid chlorine, the cylinders had been clandestinely installed by the Germans more than 3 weeks earlier. The order to release the gas was entrusted to German military meteorologists, who had carefully studied the area’s prevailing wind patterns. Disregarding intelligence reports about the strange cylinders prior to the attack, the French troops were totally unprepared for this new and horrifying weapon.

The surprise use of chlorine gas allowed the Germans to rupture the French line along a 6-kilometer (3.7-mile) front, causing terror and forcing a panicked and chaotic retreat. Within a matter of minutes, this slow moving wall of gas killed more than 1000 French and Algerian soldiers, while wounding approximately 4000 more. A British soldier described the pandemonium that flowed from the front lines to the rear.

excellent feedback thank you so much.

off to google them :)

Chloramine won't off gas like chlorine. It has to be filtered out, letting your water sit out or bubbling it won't remove the chloramine. It's much more stable and remains for long periods of time. Chloramine doesn't off gas the same as if you mixed bleach and ammonia. They are moving to replace chlorine in all city water supplies because of a federal regulation. It has to do with cancerous compounds created by chlorine when it comes into organic material in the water. Chloramine is less reactive and creates less of these compunds known as trihalomethanes (THMs). They are still created with chloramine but in fewer numbers. Once the water has reached the home you don't need the chloramine anymore, it has done its job.

I suppose that I have been doing it for so long it is just habit.  I let them sit as back when I began growing stuff I was told letting the water sit would help gas off the

chlorine.  Until recently, I never gave pause to question this as truth. 

Thank you for the information.

Has anyone ever used the products sold at the aquariums store for removing chlorine/chloramine from your tap water?  Fish don't like disinfectants so much, so you have to treat treat your city water prior to adding it to your fish tank.  Sodium thiosulphate is one of the main ingredients, but not sure if this is healthy for human consumption.