Discussion On Civil Forfeitures Set For Thursday In Royal Oak

Wild Bill

By Dave Phillips, The Oakland Press

Posted: 01/20/14

A public forum will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Royal Oak Public Library to discuss civil asset forfeiture in Michigan.

State Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, has organized the meeting, during which speakers will discuss proposed legislation to alter the process.

McMillin’s proposed bill, House Bill 5081, would “create greater transparency in the forfeiture and seizure process by state and local law enforcement,” according to a press release. “This bill is about transparency and government accountability,” McMillin stated in the release. “Whenever government seizes citizens’ property, the taxpayers deserve to know important information like how much was seized, whether a conviction was ever reached and to whom the property belonged.”

The bill, co-sponsored by four Republicans and four Democrats, was introduced in October.

Michigan Capitol Confidential reports that another bill, sponsored by State Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor, would prohibit civil asset forfeiture in Michigan unless the owner is convicted of a crime. Irwin’s proposed legislation is House Bill 5212, which was introduced earlier this month.

Irwin is expected to join the panel in Royal Oak, as are State Rep. Rose Mary Robinson, D-Detroit, Shelli Weisberg, legislative director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, and Dennis Marburger, coordinator of the Michigan Campaign for Liberty, Oakland County.

i am with Irwin on this one.

no forfeit until after criminal conviction... make forfeits a part of sentencing..

no exceptions.

it is beyond reprehensible that our government is allowing such travesty to occur.

i understand after a conviction... but not before.. 

often times it's done with no charges being filed.... ridiculous... beyond ridiculous....

...and that our citizens allow our government to allow such a travesty to occur.

No one pays any attention until it happens to them.

I was never really aware of the extent of the problem until I had to buy my car back from Wayne county after my son was arrested for "paraphernalia". The cops saw his cigarette papers (with tobacco) arrested him and impounded my car (which he had borrowed).

The charges were dropped but I still had to buy my car back from them.