Take Our Online Poll: Should Michigan Legalize Marijuana?

LANSING, MI -- If online commenters are any indicator, there is a growing wave of support for decriminalizing or even legalizing marijuana.

Readers responded strongly to an opinion column posted over the weekend as well as an online database that shows county-by-county data on marijuana related arrests in 2012. (The database can be accessed at the bottom of this post.)

Decriminalizing or legalizing marijuana is a hot topic nationwide. Marijuana is now legal in Colorado and Washington state, and Michigan cities including Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, Ypsilanti, Jackson and Ferndale has decriminalized marijuana in the past two years.

A majority of the commenters offered their support for decriminalizing or legalizing the drug.

Wrote a commenter with the handle Free Gun Locks for Sale: "Wasted days and wasted nights. When will the American bigots realize this drug is a cash cow for the police. How aboot a follow up story on how much marijuana was confiscated and how all the arrested possessions were confiscated."

"'Is enforcing marijuana laws a good use of public resources?' No," posted mrkersey.

Brian Kelly Bizzle argues that legalizing pot would help keep it away from children: "It doesn't take the intellect of a genius to understand that stores card kids for I.D.. Thugs and gang members do not. They also push the real hard drugs on children. Stores do not. Marijuana legalization will make it harder for children to obtain it."

Joey82 described himself as "a lifelong conservative," but said: "You cannot have invalid laws in a just society. You cannot make a medical/nontoxic/nonaddictive herb illegal while allowing people to drink alcohol, smoke cigs, eat fast food, pop over the counter pills, or consume any of the hundreds of other legal substances that are far more harmful than marijuana. That makes a mockery out of justice."

Retorted jeremy: "You want the educational achievement gap to widen? Legalize Marijuana."

Added laffatlibs: "Geeze Louise --- the dopesters are out in force attempting to rationalize through their smokey haze why dope is good and clear minds are bad. ... The reason it's called 'DOPE' is because it was named after the people who use it."

This part is VERY important to know;

From the national model;

Legalization equals;

$75,000 to buy a license to grow.

$75 an 1/8 ounce for users.

Decriminalization, where everyone can grow and use the plant for whatever they want is a total different thing and needs to be distinguished separately from fake legalization.

Edited by Restorium2

Mlive poll currently sitting at 76% yes, 17% no with the remainder voting for decriminalization.

It may take awhile to get it right but the reasons for people wanting to "legalize" is to keep folks out of jail and the court system, whether it be for economic or personal liberty reasons. If folks are still getting arrested for illegal home grows after "legalization" then the people will demand change and decriminalization.

May take a few wasted years but I'm confident we'll get there.

Legalize.............. Enough is enough................. The 75,000 dollar license to grow is if you are selling the marijuana it does not pertain to home growers for personal use...........

Edited to add that besides that is Colorado and Michigan are different states.

The max you can grow in Denver is 6 plants PER HOUSE unless you buy the $75,000 grow license.

Mlive poll currently sitting at 76% yes, 17% no with the remainder voting for decriminalization.

It may take awhile to get it right but the reasons for people wanting to "legalize" is to keep folks out of jail and the court system, whether it be for economic or personal liberty reasons. If folks are still getting arrested for illegal home grows after "legalization" then the people will demand change and decriminalization.

May take a few wasted years but I'm confident we'll get there.

The penalties are worse in legalization than decriminalization. So if you really want to keep folks out of prison then you would want decrim. That's what decriminalization means, as opposed to making money is what legalization means in it's American form.

If decriminalization would be honored then I could go for that as well.

Once you know the real definition of the two things as they appear to us today then most all of us will agree that decrim is what we want. I would be very careful of anyone who knows the definition and leans toward legalization. Usually it's just a misunderstanding of what the two things are.

The penalties are worse in legalization than decriminalization. So if you really want to keep folks out of prison then you would want decrim. That's what decriminalization means, as opposed to making money is what legalization means in it's American form.

Oh I agree, it's just that the general public doesn't get it. That is why I think we'll waste a few years playing with legalizing and eventually the public won't buy it anymore. If folks are getting arrested then we did not accomplish what we thought we were going to accomplish.

I have faith in the younger generations to see thru the bs.

This part is VERY important to know;

From the national model;

Legalization equals;

$75,000 to buy a license to grow.

$75 an 1/8 ounce for users.

Decriminalization, where everyone can grow and use the plant for whatever they want is a total different thing and needs to be distinguished separately from fake legalization.

Thanks IMHO i don't know of any  Decrim Laws that you also have home grow rights 

Once you know the real definition of the two things as they appear to us today then most all of us will agree that decrim is what we want. I would be very careful of anyone who knows the definition and leans toward legalization. Usually it's just a misunderstanding of what the two things are.

Thanks again

most do know the meaning it's the other side that hasn't got a Disarray