Need Advice On Everything From Relocation To Meds Thank You

greenchi

Hello ,

I am somewhat new to your forum , I have signed up a couple of times but did not participate in any discussions

For now my name is Dee , I would appreciate any advice you could give me

this will be the condensed version ;

I am 54 yrs young and have multiple sclerosis , and two other immune system disorders . I have a young adult daughter who has epilepsy and mild Mental retardation .

I have an adult son who has aspergers syndrome <  ( both children on disability and Medicaid )

Currently we live in a state that does not have medical marijuana law , Tennessee

WE also do not have the extended Obamacare Medicaid plan . The reason I mentioned this is because I cannot afford nor have access to low cost or free insurance . I am basically at the mercy of cheap clinics that give me awful prescription meds . These are of minimal help and the side effects are not worth the long term damage they cause . 

My health has declined to the point where if I don't get help with my MS , I fear I will not be around to take care of my children

My husbands job is steady but does not pay enough to afford private insurance , it would take over 1/2 of his pay

We have been looking into relocating to a medical marijuana state for a few yrs now , Our considerations have been Michigan and Colorado . The main reason we want to look into MI first is because it is closer to being like Tn than Co. All in our family love trees , forests , lakes etc.. Co is so dry , also Mi  is closer so we can come back to see family .

I have tried a few strains and saw miraculous results . It made me cry a couple of times because I didn't really know how bad my sickness was till the symptoms were gone .My mind was clear , I could walk easier and slept all night without taking a cocktail of pharmaceuticals .

My daughter take 3 different anticonvulsants and she hates it . She said they were making her dumber , I thought she was imaging this till I asked her doctor . He was actually honest and said a side effect of all three is mental cognitive dulling

She has enough problems dealing with mental retardation without adding insult to injury . She has enough intelligence to want more from life but not enough to be independent . I am interested in the neuro regenerative aspects , pain relief ,  spasticity , anxiety etc...

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated

Thank uou

Your family would find relief if you moved to the Blue Water area of MI(near me, of course). Bring all of your recent family medical records for each. I would direct you to

a qualified certification clinic where your family would be examined and if medical marijuana is able to help the physician will provide you all with the proper paperwork to mail to the state of MI for your card. You'll need to google residency requirements, costs etc. Physician fee is generally a hundred dollars, and the state collects 25$ for ssi or 100$. Typical donations for high quality marijuana will be 175$- 300$ per ounce.

I've seen the symptoms you mention subside instantly, and provide a new outlook for medical marijuana patients.

peace

thank you for responding so quickly

I have many files of research but it is still not the same as one on one . Where is the Blue water area ?

Ideally , I prefer something semi rural or at least small town , suburbs etc... I am not into big cities , mostly out of fear of scary people .

I have lived in Tennessee my entire life and still have not been to Memphis , that city is always on the " worst " lists for crime rates

I only go to Nashville when we have to go to medical appointments . I really do appreciate your insight

the blue water area is the strip from lake st clair north up the st clair river and more north along the shores of Lake Huron. north of port huron is cheaper rent, rural farm land.

most all strains will provide relief and healing to varying degrees. take the research with a grain of salt, and start with a good caregiver, end with your own garden if you can. A list of 10 must haves is an easy request when you're ready. High Times Cannabis Cup winners are usually a sure bet.

thank you for responding so quickly

I have many files of research but it is still not the same as one on one . Where is the Blue water area ?

Ideally , I prefer something semi rural or at least small town , suburbs etc... I am not into big cities , mostly out of fear of scary people .

I have lived in Tennessee my entire life and still have not been to Memphis , that city is always on the " worst " lists for crime rates

I only go to Nashville when we have to go to medical appointments . I really do appreciate your insight

Edited by grassmatch

How 420 friendly is your area ?  I read that some counties & provinces are not as receptive as others.... the same with Colorado , it appears that eastern Co is none to happy with legalization passing

I am under so much stress as it is , I do not want to add more

Is the entire state of Michigan miserable ? I hope that does not sound offensive , but some of the replies seem to indicate the Horace Greely adage

" Go west , young man "

I would prefer not to move so far away but would if absolutely necessary

I do appreciate all the honest , helpful responses

Isn't Genesee the county Flint is in ? Is my hillbilly showing yet ? Sorry , perhaps a bad joke. I lived in Nashville a while several years ago , so I am not being judgmental against one of your cities . Nashville can be pretty bad , I only lived there for 3 months and hated every bit of it .

I want to live where I do not have to worry if I want to take a walk or my kids go outside .

I would love to know of some good leads on real estate I this area is long as it is  nowhere near the city

Isn't Genesee the county Flint is in ? Is my hillbilly showing yet ? Sorry , perhaps a bad joke. I lived in Nashville a while several years ago , so I am not being judgmental against one of your cities . Nashville can be pretty bad , I only lived there for 3 months and hated every bit of it .

I want to live where I do not have to worry if I want to take a walk or my kids go outside .

I would love to know of some good leads on real estate I this area is long as it is  nowhere near the city

Yeah, along with a lot of smaller burgs that offer a much better quality of life. For instance there are Montrose, Clio, Flushing, Swartz Creek, Davison, Goodrich, and most of Fenton. There is a lot of country real estate in between.

Edited by GregS

Yes Flint is in Genesee County.  And Flint is still a very segregated city.  We passed the first Fair Housing Ordinance in the US in 1967.  Prior to that, realtors, bankers and everyone else tried their best to keep black folks out of white communities.  So the blacks got placed mostly north of the Flint River in the area now known as "The north end" and 'Beecher"  Nothing against black folks at all...but because such folks tended to be poor, we ended up with a divided community...divided by race and also income.  So you can find some very peaceful places in Flint and some pretty violent ones as we slowly emerge from this segregation...but it takes a few generations.  The City of Burton is a pretty decent place - a lot of cheaper homes and working class folks but crime is generally in-check and the Burton  City Council had no problems issuing business licenses to dispensaries until the Mi Supreme Court ruled against such businesses.  Dispensaries in Flint are still operating though, and word on the street is that the Flint cops like dispensaries because they want to draw a distinction between street drugs and medical.  So dispensaries give the cops an opportunity to ignore MMJ and tackle more pressing issues.

Then we have the City (or is it Village?) of Montrose where more than one council member acknowledged having his MMJ card.  And there is still an active dispensary in this small town...with the local cops telling the operator "We'd be informed of any raid, so if it comes up, we'll let you know beforehand." 

Genesee County really is the cradle of the auto manufacturing industry.  We used to have 80,000 GM jobs just in the City of Flint (down to 8,000 now)  Of course, along with the factory jobs, you get construction, etc....in other words a whole lot of now-retired people who busted their behinds in hard labor and/or repetitive tasks.  As a consequence, we are a county of chronic pain. 

There is a push to develop a new "health and wellness district" in the City of Flint - to include the new farmer's market, Hurley medical clinic, Michigan State University branch medical school, YMCA, YWCA.  MMJ would fit well in that scheme. 

Right now Flint is kinuv a craphole.  The city was once a thriving gem.  The Mott Foundation (once the foundation with the largest endowment in the world) was started in the 1920s and is still based here.  Some of the richest businessmen of the 1900-1940 era made their fortune here and are now buried here. Flint has hit rock-bottom and is now on the rise.  I have lived here all my life and watched the entire boom to bust cycle.  I think were are headed back to a boom.  So investing in a home here is probably a good idea.

In about 1830, if someone said "go west," chances are he was referring to Michigan.  We are the original "out-west."  This is reflected in our territorial name (Northwest Territory) all the way to the Michigan Wolverines fight song (from 18-something,) "Hail, Hail to Michigan, the champions of the west."

Nothing against Colorado, but I worked out there off and on in the 1990s and my observation was that those guys were pretty liberal and laid-back.  They criticized union wages here in Michigan yet they really didn't work very hard.  My company saw fit to fly me out there and put me up in a hotel and help them get stuff done rather than use a local.  The management and staff acknowledged a few times that we Michigan folks have the work ethic and knew how to get things done. 

Yeah, along with a lot of smaller burgs that offer a much better quality of life. For instance there are Montrose, Clio, Flushing, Swartz Creek, Davison, Goodrich, and most of Fenton. There is a lot of country real estate in between.

I like Flushing but it is really not MMJ friendly.  I used to live there and found it promising that the Chief of Police came from Ann Arbor.  Then I found out that the Flushing PD was reporting any interaction with MMJ registrants to the FBI.  I wrote to my (then) state Senator Gleason (D), who lived down the street from my mom and was a former machine shop worker and then County Commissioner, in protest of this action.  He (surprisingly) replied with little to no sympathy.  (I think he term-limited out and is now the Register of Deeds and his wife now has his former senate seat)  I also read somewhere that Flushing has the 1st to 3rd highest per capita population of senior citizens in the state....which to me means that Flushing is among the more conservative (and anti MMJ) places in the state.  They even have a terrible local ordinance against MMJ, requiring some licensing and/or registration for CGs.  There was an indicent just a few weeks ago where a CG caused a power outage and now has to answer to violation of the local ordinance.

I'd look mostly at the nicer areas of the City of Flint, Flint Township, Burton, the west part of Mt. Morris Township, City of Montrose, Montrose Township,   Richfield Township (where the cops on Halloween repeatedly drove by my friend's house while we smoked MJ with the garage door wide open and he just waved as he drove by), and Forest Township (who doesn't even have a police department and also licensed dispensaries and openly supported them).

I had a candid and off-the-record conversation with the relevant folks at the City of Swartz Creek.  I got the impression that they really don't care much about MMJ.  Their larger concern is fighting some creeping blight and writing speeding tickets.  So that's probably a good place to live too.  And as goes the City of Swartz Creek, so goes Ganies Township and the Village of Lennon too.  Some guys opened a grow store across the Street from the Village of Lennon PD and told me how they kinda expected at least some heightened observation, if not harassment and/or the Village PD following cars who left the grow store.  Turns out the PD didn't even bat an eye and kept to what seems to have been their mission for years - stopping motorists for speeding on M-13.  I think Taj Mahal got hit there once but with no consequence. 

I'd guess that Clio and Vienna Twp. are MMJ-friendly too but I'm not sure.  I think Greg S could expound on that.

Edited by Highlander

any details about how a grower could cause a power outage wider than his own home?  that's scary stuff

All I know is what I read in the paper:  http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/09/flushing_man_knocks_out_power.html

Crestview Street is a pretty small street - At its farthest point, it is 1,300 feet from an elementary school...and at the closest, about 600 feet.  So there is a good chance that the grow was within 1,000' of a school.  If so, that fact that that wasn't made an issue is somewhat progressive, but overall the Flushing zoning issue is crap.

How can you find those statistics ?

Can you recommend a link , I have heard that the further north you go , the more conservative the views . I am not professing an political preference , I actually don't trust any of them . Everyone has one of those moments in life that you can reflect on for a good laugh , here's one of mine :

I was accidentally speeding & got pulled over . The officer automatically looks at your tags , I saw thru the rear view him bend over in laughter ........ at my bumper sticker           " Republicans , Democrats .. same sh*t , different piles

He came to talk to me and  said slow down , be more careful

Hopefully that does not offend anyone , if so I am sorry

It is just that you really have  to wonder  if there is anyone in politics you can trust

All I know is what I read in the paper:  http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/09/flushing_man_knocks_out_power.html

Crestview Street is a pretty small street - At its farthest point, it is 1,300 feet from an elementary school...and at the closest, about 600 feet.  So there is a good chance that the grow was within 1,000' of a school.  If so, that fact that that wasn't made an issue is somewhat progressive, but overall the Flushing zoning issue is crap.

I get along just fine in Clio. People can walk and kids can play. Flushing had an ordinance against growing, but that would have been eliminated by the Supreme Court last week in the case of Ter Beek v City of Wyoming. It is a nice place to raise kids.

Hello ,

I am somewhat new to your forum , I have signed up a couple of times but did not participate in any discussions

For now my name is Dee , I would appreciate any advice you could give me

this will be the condensed version ;

I am 54 yrs young and have multiple sclerosis , and two other immune system disorders . I have a young adult daughter who has epilepsy and mild Mental retardation .

I have an adult son who has aspergers syndrome <  ( both children on disability and Medicaid )

Currently we live in a state that does not have medical marijuana law , Tennessee

WE also do not have the extended Obamacare Medicaid plan . The reason I mentioned this is because I cannot afford nor have access to low cost or free insurance . I am basically at the mercy of cheap clinics that give me awful prescription meds . These are of minimal help and the side effects are not worth the long term damage they cause . 

My health has declined to the point where if I don't get help with my MS , I fear I will not be around to take care of my children

My husbands job is steady but does not pay enough to afford private insurance , it would take over 1/2 of his pay

We have been looking into relocating to a medical marijuana state for a few yrs now , Our considerations have been Michigan and Colorado . The main reason we want to look into MI first is because it is closer to being like Tn than Co. All in our family love trees , forests , lakes etc.. Co is so dry , also Mi  is closer so we can come back to see family .

I have tried a few strains and saw miraculous results . It made me cry a couple of times because I didn't really know how bad my sickness was till the symptoms were gone .My mind was clear , I could walk easier and slept all night without taking a cocktail of pharmaceuticals .

My daughter take 3 different anticonvulsants and she hates it . She said they were making her dumber , I thought she was imaging this till I asked her doctor . He was actually honest and said a side effect of all three is mental cognitive dulling

She has enough problems dealing with mental retardation without adding insult to injury . She has enough intelligence to want more from life but not enough to be independent . I am interested in the neuro regenerative aspects , pain relief ,  spasticity , anxiety etc...

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated

Thank you

Welcome here and thinks for you story/post and i agree Michigan is a lot better as far as Medical Cannabis goes for now that is as i see it here inn Mich. anyone can grow as loge as you don't have any drug changes  against you or after 10 years 

And our Driving laws have already been ruined on in CO you can be arrested for driving a car after using Cannabis if you have a very low amount of THC in you blood 5/ng or higher