Difference In Effects Between Vaporizing And Smoking?

t-pain

32 members have voted

1. 1. is there a difference in the effects when vaping vs smoking for you?

• yes
    • no , it feels the same to me

i'm curious what the differences are vaping vs smoking for feeling the effects.

for these questions, i'm talking only usable marijuana dried buds. no dabs, hash, oils, none of that.

is there more pain relief with smoking?

is there less 'head high' with vaping?

does smoking have quicker results than vaping?

is there more calming effects with vaping?

is there more paranoia with smoking?

i'm not asking about coughing or lung irritation or throat irritation. those are side effects. i want to know differences in the main effects.

combustion releases a bunch of constituents, some are harmful like tar.   believe it or not, inhaling tar will cause a different effect than heating to a lower temperature to avoid the release of it. Quality vapes allow precision temps, used to release very specific terpenes, for a dialed in effect. Each terpene will affect the user in different ways. thc is a terpene. if the temp is not high enough to release thc, there will be no thc effect.

yo amigo, got any personal experiences?

"... those are side effects. i want to know differences in the main effects."  op

Personally I can't get the same effects (medicated, stoned, high, intoxicated...we.) from smoking as I do from Vaping.   

On another similar tangent, here is justification for a Left Handed joint being much more preferable to a Right Handed one...

"Cannabis contains approximately 60 different psychoactive chemicals called cannabinoids, of which the most important one is tetrahydrocannabinol        >> (THC). <<

The mode of action of THC is still not properly understood, although it is known that of the two stereoisomers (mirror images),

the (-)-form (the left-handed form of the molecule) is 10-15 times more potent than the (+)-form. "

imho this is the difference experienced from a well done Sativa strain vs an Indica.  mpot

Edited by solabeirtan

no such thing as "side effects" in chemistry. There are "desired" and "undesired" effects. List all of your personal desired and undesired effects and we could probably locate the exact terpenes responsible for the desired ones, and the tar and benzene in the undesired column ?

my personal experience includes the fact that many times smoking the same bud at different times of the day I can count on different effects. Depending on general health, sometimes negative effects are experienced. Like when with cold, maybe not the best feeling while using cannabis.

the exact difference between combustion, and vaporization is dependent upon cannabis temperatures. Much of a "desired effect" could possibly include the generally accepted harmful smoke being inhaled, and the benzene being released. After all, smoking a joint is simply vaporizing cannabis inside the joint, The only combustion taking place(unless a sloppily constructed joint)  are at the hot end.

I notice my lungs working harder when I vape. I also notice that some of those undesired effects of smoking, are actually desired by some, including me occasionally.

So it appears some are willing to tolerate a few "undesired effects", to get the head adjusted properly to the particular time and circumstance of the occasion in question.

Though we must be aware there are no side effects in "Chemistry", perhaps in the real world they play a significant role. To get the desired mellow one sometimes must endure "undesired" practices. Almost like the " human condition " - hu22...

enjoy froggy            ...peace

I have asthma and vaping helps my lungs clear. I don't get the same results from smoking. I know a few other asthma patients that have found this to be true for them also. I'm not saying that smoking made the asthma worse, it's just that vaping has an effect that smoking does not. Vaping is a breathing treatment for someone with asthma.

True, and know that some people describe my desired effects as their own undesired effects, and vice versa. Human chemotypes, and their ability to process terpenoids differ. body chemistry, nutritional balance, mental health, prescription meds, and more will ultimately decide the effects on a particular person. Cannabis is a self titrating herbal remedy for this reason.

So it appears some are willing to tolerate a few "undesired effects", to get the head adjusted properly to the particular time and circumstance of the occasion in question.

Though we must be aware there are no side effects in "Chemistry", perhaps in the real world they play a significant role. To get the desired mellow one sometimes must endure "undesired" practices. Almost like the " human condition " - hu22...

enjoy froggy            ...peace

Agreed pretty much, however Cannabis may be an herbal remedy and it interacts with our Hu Chemistry, for the most part it is inanimate, therefore we the Hu have to do the titerating. Hence self titerating. Thats the way I understand it, ever sense I've heard that word "titerated" at the trial of John Sinclair in 1971. I thought it was hilarious, however now it's just a way of life... speaking of which ... :bong7bp:   gallery_2767_621_17913.jpg

my bags are only about half this size, since it's usually just me, up on the Mountain  er  Volcano    ....happy trails!

Edited by solabeirtan

no such thing as "side effects" in chemistry. There are "desired" and "undesired" effects. List all of your personal desired and undesired effects and we could probably locate the exact terpenes responsible for the desired ones, and the tar and benzene in the undesired column ?

my personal experience includes the fact that many times smoking the same bud at different times of the day I can count on different effects. Depending on general health, sometimes negative effects are experienced. Like when with cold, maybe not the best feeling while using cannabis.

the exact difference between combustion, and vaporization is dependent upon cannabis temperatures. Much of a "desired effect" could possibly include the generally accepted harmful smoke being inhaled, and the benzene being released. After all, smoking a joint is simply vaporizing cannabis inside the joint, The only combustion taking place(unless a sloppily constructed joint)  are at the hot end.

I notice my lungs working harder when I vape. I also notice that some of those undesired effects of smoking, are actually desired by some, including me occasionally.

when I vape and dont smoke it any other way, my dr. can tell, she says my lungs sound much clearer and they do, vaping gives me a great feeling and most times it makes me motivated to get something done!

When you smoke it in a pipe or joint form it is not as good for you as vaping, medibles, or tinctures, when there is cumbustion there is carbon monoxide, when Ive gotten colds and cough so much I cant smoke cigs, I will vape or smoke some mj one way or the other, I find it to releive my cough for quite a long period and it helps me to sleep, I never would have thought that, but one time while I had a nasty cold/cough, I was reading where some got help with asthma from mj,  so I tried it and I was very releived for quite a while that 1st day and every day after till my cold was gone!

I have had friends actualy get sick from vaping though lol, so I guess it dont work the same on everyone, if your vaporizer has a temp gauge and you dont burn the mm in the whip or holder it is not combusting and you get the thc that comes out at the low end of the temp, my vapes dont get high enough to get both thc's out of them while vaping!

Peace

Edited by phaquetoo

i'm curious what the differences are vaping vs smoking for feeling the effects.

for these questions, i'm talking only usable marijuana dried buds. no dabs, hash, oils, none of that.

is there more pain relief with smoking?  YES

is there less 'head high' with vaping?      YES

does smoking have quicker results than vaping?   YES

is there more calming effects with vaping?   Who is calm after spending all there lunch money for the month on some overpriced meds from a guy who thinks he invented the stuff, and  a gizmo that dont work nearly as well as the good old rolled. :)

is there more paranoia with smoking?     NO 

i'm not asking about coughing or lung irritation or throat irritation. those are side effects. i want to know differences in the main effects.

Could the obligatory cough be an added health benefit?...Bet it is!    Man this is the plant that just keeps on giving.. It is definitely not the same and should never be confused with smokers cough

Edited by beourbud

Would add,    with Sun Grown (True Natural Medicinal Marijuana)  Rolled is FAR SUPERIOR in every regard to effects.  Of course the patient ultimately determines what works for them, but the full spectrum of quantitative and qualitative benefits and enhanced.

Hard to beat a rolled mj that gets stickier as it burns..Tastier too

I love my job!

Edited by beourbud

With vaping I tend to get a cleaner feeling, with smoking I tend to feel way more cloudy, notice that my eyes itch a ton more, and I feel more "stoned". Typically with vaping I feel more clear headed, more pain relief, and don't feel that "dirty" type feeling. I don't really know how to describe it in better terms, I pretty much stopped combusting flowers/hash about 3 years ago, aside from an occasional toke from a bowl (I can't even finish a bowl of flower now, the taste is horrible after about 3-4 hits)

Not to mention my lungs do feel better and I don't reek like cannabis smoke all the time.

A HUGE benefit, and maybe one that protects us from lung issues. Some Big Tobacco products contain chemicals man made and natural that are specifically formulated to squelch the cough, resulting in more mess remaining in the lungs. cilia damage, apoptosis failure, tumors, etc.

Could the obligatory cough be an added health benefit?...Bet it is!    Man this is the plant that just keeps on giving.. It is definitely not the same and should never be confused with smokers cough

^^^^^ I agree totaly!

that is what most of the inhalers do, the quick fix one makes you cough imediatly and after that good productive cough you feel so much better, I truly beleive mj helps me with my lungs no matter how I smoke it, but for me the best is to vape, im one of them idiots that has copd and I still smoke cigs, dont get me wrong I love to smoke a joint to see how it taistes when I get a new strain, but I realy try hard to vape 80% of the time im at home,

Me and my lady like to put some mm in our ciggerettes to smoke one at bed time, Like I said I still smoke cigs and we roll our own or we couldnt afford it, so I always make a few half and half tobac and mm for us to smoke at bed time,  im sure that turns off all of you who do not smoke cigs but it truly works well, you smoke it like a cig and not like a joint or you will cough your head off, and for those that may try it try to do it close to half and half and it is real mellow taisting, its also good for when you are traveling if you want to step out at a rest area and smoke one on the pic nic table people can smell something but they see you smoking a cig with a filter on it and just tend to their own biz, I used to like to do it in bars when you could smoke in them and watch people look around for who is burning one lol!

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

For me, vaporizing brings a quicker come up, stronger effects, a shorter plateau, and shorter overall duration of the psychoactive effects, while the somatic effects seem slightly attenuated but with similar duration, as compared with smoking. 

I havent taken notes or timed this, so it should be taken with a large serving of salt, and I haven't read through this thread to see if the plasma level differences have been posted (or studied for that matter).

For me there is a big difference and it is kind of complicated to explain.

With vaping buds it seemed cleaner than smoking joints, but there was something missing in the buzz. Also, in the taste. I don't care for the popcorn flavor it produced. To be honest, I kind of preferred to smoke joints over vaping buds.

Now that I have given it a full comparison including concentrates it is a whole different story. When I vape my concentrates whether it is straight or e-cannabis (concentrate blended with PG USP), I can't say there is a difference in the buzz except for it seems cleaner and better. With the right equipment you can taste the strains better vaporizing concentrates than smoking the buds or smoking the concentrate. 

Vaporizing is the way to go vs. smoking especially when it comes to vaping concentrates with the right equipment. I no longer keep buds, it all gets converted to concentrates to be vaporized.

Something with the concentrates that I have noticed is very similar to the difference between sativa and indica. I notice these differences when I compare decarbed oils vs. non-decarbed oils made with the same strains. The non decarbed oil is a lot more like a sativa and the decarbed oils are more of an indica effect, more mellow, less uppity, more comfortable, a little less intense but very strong like "couch lock", less anxiety.

interesting, thanks invivo

In contrast to vapor samples smoked cannabis contained
many compounds not observed in extracts or vapor (Table 4).
In total 23 unknown cannabinoids, various hydrocarbons,
phenolic compounds, nitrogen containing compounds, D8-
THC, 1-oxo-cannabinol and significant amounts of CBN
(?2mg/g) were observed in cannabis smoke. These results
suggest a much higher degree of pyrolytic degradation in
cannabis smoke when compared to cannabis vapor and is
consistent with previous literature.19