Tissue Cultured Marijuana ? You Bet !

trichcycler

I was "forced" into it when I was a kid, in a basement, lol (for real). My parents were really out there(umm) and were(still are) on a mission. Culturing is no mystery at all. Most every vegetable and fruit commercially grown is cultured for uniformity, health, yield and predictability. probably saw evidence of tissue culturing on grandmas kitchen counter, with the broken spider plant stem soaking in fuzzy water.

I was given a lab, lots of books, chemistry sets, and journals to record in(super geek). It became fun for me, and safer than going outside. I used gelatins, crushed vitamins, willow branch extractions(growth hormone-salicylic acid(aspirin), and sugars. I learned a thousand ways to not grow anything but mold in test tubes, and then...it happened. I was able to not only keep a culture alive, but eventually able to bring it out of its sterile jar, and and matured. Nope, wasn't cannabis, yet.

Sterilizing is the key, and many will have you believe you need expensive equipment to do it. I tell you it's not true. Maybe I know that because I started before google, or flow hood manufacturers. Ah, flow hood. Sure, a great thing to play with, I had one yrs ago, very expensive, and unnecessary.

I'd never suggest that a mmj grower start to culture, for any expedited product, super marijuana, or snorting dinosaurs magically appearing. But, if you have a drive for life, and some further beauty of understanding it, along with a little bit of cash, a full closet to work with, patience, and are familiar with sterile technique, this might be a real eye opener. 

Patents are applied to many cultured plants and techniques already, so be cautious with your posting. Some of the ingredients needed are near impossible to acquire, unless you have an eye for nature, and everything she can provide. I still use willow water to this day, after the use of hormones, concentrated natural plant hormones or synthetics. there is a definite connection between Morgellons disease, and the specific hormones used in the culturing industry. Russia comes to mind, with the largest outbreak of the disease in history, surrounding a bio-plant-weapons lab. All of the infected have super high levels of the very same hormones, which are found in our body's naturally.

I've found it difficult to locate others doing this, but hope that changes.

^^Was that a joke?^^ I am going to look it up.

I have always seen tissue culturing as a needed tool in the cannabis breeding/ storing world.

Please post away as I am most interested in this subject.

I would love a tutorial if you have the time.

Dutch Passion has done this already they call it clone seeds.

Have you read about their successes? The info is on their blog.

I emailed Dutch Tony about it but was never given a reply.

Very interesting subject indeed.

More info please, and thank you.

Edited by ilynnboy

Not sure if "difficult" would fit the bill, but determination is needed. The belief and will to make it work is paramount. It took me years to avoid the mold borg, and now I have near 85% success. Its all about the sterile technique, and a still work area. I struggled with the damned flow hood for years, and found that all it really did was spread mold bearing house air in and around my specimens. That part is behind me now, and I use no such high tech filters of any kind, not even a heap, or particulate filter. No fans either.

I'd say that the Sonic Toothbrush cleaner has been my biggest find in decades. This thing works so well It was freaky ! Seems weird to bleach, vibrate, soap, isopropyl alcohol a bit of plant material and expect it to grow, but it can, and does here. it aint rocket science. Over the years I've met others involved in the culture culture. I've traded hundreds of species in the mail, even a cannabis cultivar from Africa, my scariest endeavor ever. The shipped undifferentiated plant material is NOT cannabis, is NOT cannabis seed, and DOES NOT contain cannabinoids. It resembles a blob of snot, until ordered to express. Everything from node spacing to growth patterns can be controlled in vitro.

Tissue culturing cannabis is the tip of hydroponic use. I use test tubes(tt) or baby foo jars(bfj's), and petri dishes, a large tupperware container flipped on its side, no cover. I put a 2x4 unused grow tent inside of a clean dedicated closet. Lysol is my best friend. I use it only in culture, before I open the door of the closet, before I unzip the tent, floors and doors, and even inside the tent and at every visit. I dress up in a tyvek, with a head cap, nitrile gloves, and a face mask. I use the sticky as hell Tanglefoot at the entrance to the tent, and all around the edge of the flipped Tupperware container.

In the end I can usually find the origin of an infected explant, identified in my past as a hair, spec of dust, but never a mite(not the kind that attack mj) but more like dust mite. The room I work in is pretty clean also, and is my dedicated recording studio, with my culture closet. Nobody enters the room but me, and the closet is rarely visited unless for culturing. I sneak a peak occasionally though.

I work with agrobacteria, ecoli, and jellyfish proteins mostly, as its been a private mission of my own, and I'm fascinated by illuminating life forms. (you can figure out the rest?)

Plant From Test Tubes is a great book, and if I had that book 40 yrs ago, I swear my plants would be talking by now!

all in all I believe the craft is easy, and easily begun, but keep in mind some find mj cultivation near impossible too. A commercially available kit will cost around 250$, and there is no sense in trying to save cash with that first purchase. When you receive your bfj's you'll see you could have saved some coin, but the kit will prove invaluable. None commercially available will ever create a fully expressed harvestable cannabis plant, nor is much info concerning nutrient/sugar/hormone ratios mentioned. I'm sure I don't have the information market cornered, but my top genetics are all a product of tissue culture. some may be artificial seeds, suspended animation etc. I can store a cutting for a hundred years in a test tube, without ever rooting. It can be cloned from also. they cannot be legally shipped (yet) but I have provided hundreds of the gems to sales points in the past. Imagine a bouquet of test tubes containing 6 HT cup winners, what a score !  Shipping undifferentiated plant material is different than shipping a cutting. these are awesome options of storing special strains forever.

I started to get serious about mj culture after I found that keeping grafted mothers around was troublesome. I kept 6 plants, with between 4-8 other grafted labeled strain branches growing for years. a store in ann arbor obtained the moms from me when I cut my "plant count".

tissue culture may not be the answer to reducing plant count numbers, but keep in mind, all special strains of every plant are in culture state right now, somewhere in a lab, with a Monsanto name on the door most likely.

grassmatch:  fascinating read, for sure, but my experience trying to learn simple things easy for others; remember the route to a grow store, make a link; requires me to acknowledge i'm an old dog who only learns new stuff after doing it about twenty times under direct tutelage, like you may have gotten as a kid.  one question:  i have seen guys selling used set-ups for $4500, then later on, the same set-up reduced to $3500.  set-ups they bot a year or so ago, with instructions.  given yer bg, couldn't you write instructions and equipment needed--a primer on 'how to make the bomb' and sell it for $100--become the ed rosenthal/gorge cervantes of tissue cannabis?

If you are willing to take on the task of publishing and marketing, with a real plan, I will seriously consider it, and have actually. I have "the manual" covering every aspect of culturing on the cheap. I wrote it. I could alternatively assemble an entire kit, with living undifferentiated cells included, or not, and make a fortune maybe, if you some savvy entrepreneur was interested in the effort. I just cannot do the whole thing. I've sold hundreds of cultures, of varying species over the years, some mail order, many via internet. A place in California bought them by the gross for awhile, and I cultured thousands of flowers yearly for a couple local nurseries. Legal to ship, legal to possess, imagine the cannabis possibilities. been there, the reigns always fell back into my hands.  I'm nut, not a marketing guru.

I believe that every grower in the world would desire an overnight cultured snot, one that they could give a few included orders to, and coax it like  snake charmer to a full grown sample of guaranteed perfection. 100% pathogen free, no disease, no dna damage, proven repeatable expression, and hybridization at the top of its game, with only a simple kit and some instructions. I would have bought it over and over.

I sold them next to genetically perfected thyme, rosemary, basil. I've successfully cultured some exotics like ginseng, coca, cashew, etc. also. I probably would not share the recipes, but instead sell them pre mixed, just a suggestion to the marketing dept.... 

Any takers?

grassmatch:  fascinating read, for sure, but my experience trying to learn simple things easy for others; remember the route to a grow store, make a link; requires me to acknowledge i'm an old dog who only learns new stuff after doing it about twenty times under direct tutelage, like you may have gotten as a kid.  one question:  i have seen guys selling used set-ups for $4500, then later on, the same set-up reduced to $3500.  set-ups they bot a year or so ago, with instructions.  given yer bg, couldn't you write instructions and equipment needed--a primer on 'how to make the bomb' and sell it for $100--become the ed rosenthal/gorge cervantes of tissue cannabis?

So i typed this huge message and then randomly my browser crashed. -le-sigh-

I'd love to help out by offering a select few of landrace genetics to your cause. I can offer 

• Colombia      | Sativa
  • Africa            | Sativa

in reply to you from the other thread
currently i have access to these landraces most of these are not mine and i only have access to the dna for breeding meaning i cannot release the original landrace dna! I could breed strains and release the subsequent strain ;) though ! I did ask the owner of the landraces and he said he'd be happy to release the two above, since most breeders have those two landraces already.

This is our current stock of landrace

• Afghanistan  | Indica
  • Africa            | Indica / Sativa
  • Asia              | Sativa
  • Australia       | Sativa
  • Brazil            | Indica / Sativa
  • Canada        | Sativa
  • Colombia      | Mostly Indica/Sativa
  • Europe         | Hybrid
  • Hawaii           | Hybrid / Indica / Sativa
  • Himalaya       | Indica / Sativa
  • Hindu Kush   | Indica
  • India             | Hybrid / Indica / Sativa
  • Jamaica        | Hybrid / Indica / Sativa
  • Lebanon       | Indica
  • Mexico          | Sativa
  • Thailand       | Hybrid / Sativa
  • Tibet             | Sativa
  • USA              | Hybrid / Indica / Mostly Indica

This is a small selection i feel like typing of current stock of other breeders products

• Super Lemon Haze
  • OG Kush
  • White Widow
  • BigBud
  • AK47
  • Kandy Kush
  • Super Silver Haze
  • Cannatonic
  • Dieseltonic

But like i said i'd love to help you guys out with this, but im not a marketer, im a gardener lol

are you a seed seller?

do you sell cultures too ?

do you have cultures stocked?

We are not a seed seller, that is a goal of ours though, once we have enough strain and seed stock. Some of our stock consists of only 4-10 seeds where others have like 6000+ we are trying to equal it out. 

Never have, i wouldn't mind it.

I don't have any extra stock atm but i could change that soon(need a few months to germinate some seeds, select the best and make a culture but i probably could have some dna for you around Easter). hehehe it's on 4/20 this year ;) coincidence? 

Edited by GardenLord

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is amazing!

I have been self empoyed most of my life!  I was the sales,estimate, book keeper, owner operator, forman and worker lol,

Its all in the product and giving the customer 110%, The customer is always right and deserves what they were promised, paid for and more!  I found I did not have to do alot of advertising, once I had gotten my foot in the door,  word of mouth took care of the rest!  I was always thinking of how to get all of this work done, which was a whole lot better than wondering where am I gonna get work from!

I read about this culture, culture lol and it is so interesting, but I dont want anything to do with doing the cultures or finding new strains for more cultures, or anything to do with the geeky stuff, But I would love a chance to move product!

Great thread gm!

Peace

If you can accomplish a web presence, google stats, I believe clients will come. I cant do it all though, if you can, talk to me. Its not the intent of the thread of course, but you can email me too.

This thread is amazing!

I have been self empoyed most of my life!  I was the sales,estimate, book keeper, owner operator, forman and worker lol,

Its all in the product and giving the customer 110%, The customer is always right and deserves what they were promised, paid for and more!  I found I did not have to do alot of advertising, once I had gotten my foot in the door,  word of mouth took care of the rest!  I was always thinking of how to get all of this work done, which was a whole lot better than wondering where am I gonna get work from!

I read about this culture, culture lol and it is so interesting, but I dont want anything to do with doing the cultures or finding new strains for more cultures, or anything to do with the geeky stuff, But I would love a chance to move product!

Great thread gm!

Peace

I started with crushed vitamins sugar and jello, but the best working recipe for cannabis culture/division/possibly rooting is found in the plants/test tubes book. Start with carrot culture. I won't share my exact recipe at this time, but working form the bottom up you can believe that the recipe you arrive at will be borne of trial and error, specific to your culture habits. Its not to long before you realize only two hormones are needed, no flow hood is necessary, and you get to use a pressure cooker !

I am successful at using only sterilized extracted willow water as my "hormone" additive, but do find a little more time is needed to work with the samples. The hormones you'll use are real nasty products, already present in your body, but in small amounts. The mere touching of these liquids is enough to offset that delicate ratio in your body and cause havoc. Use serious precautions if you go that route. There are natural alternatives to all of the necessary elements in tissue culture fun. be safe. kitchenculture kits are a good cheap start turn key kit.  murishage makes a ready to go carrot culture that is tops. nobody sells a mix that will bring a cannabis plant to full expression, ......yet :excl:  :money: 

I'm in! I've cultured a number of wild fungi in the past, so I'm familiar with sterile techniques. Looks like there's a hardening step that I'm not familiar with. I'm going to order that book. Any insight you can provide into the mediums and sources for medium that you prefer would be great.

I grow callus' of a few dozen strains, they divide and multiply in the same solution, indefinately, maybe. when needed I incise a piece of this callus and transfer into a fresh, newly "programmed petri dish, jar, deli container(sterile of course)" and cause it to immediately begin rooting, with no plant count numbers being used yet, then I have several strains in "rooting stasis", from a few days, to a few months. it can be divided and re cultured also, but thats prolly way to complicated for some here so I'll stick to straight forward. when ready, now heres the whole point in a rotational, year round,perpetual, legal garden running max #, the root masses are told to shoot up, and they do, with a broccolli head bundle of branching,nodes,and leaves, bonzai like. this takes a couple days, during which they use up a plant count number until they are done flowering-rather than maintaining plant counted mothers, and their clones while they root, these are super, pure plants ready to perform. three days after told to shoot up they go to harden,2 days later in veg for 45 days, couple feet, to flower. this happens weekly here in my garden, and has for a long time. This does not replace cloning, necessarily, for the everyday grower.

here are some far out links

http://buymarijuanaseeds.com/community/threads/glow-in-the-dark-marijuana.16304/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/glow-in-the-dark-cats-jellyfish-and-monkeys-may-prevent-aids/2011/09/12/gIQAdq89MK_blog.html

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/09/12/jellyfish-genes-make-glow-in-the-dark-cats/

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,962873,00.html

I can accomplish a web presence and google stats, I also can pound the pavement the hard way and easy way via internet,

I also have a family member who would love to be a part of this whole adventure,  I have many ways to sell a product and get it out to the people who would bennifit the most from cultures!

I worked for myself becuase I enjoyed it, not because I could not follow directions, in fact I followed directions from people making it in my business and branched off on my own!

Peace

p.s not that I would in any way want to branch of on my own here, just looking for something possitive to do with my time!

the "transfer lab" can be as simple as this tupperware container. this is only where cultures are divided, and transferred. a seperate area is where they grow out.Four most commonly used plant growth regulators (BAP, KINETIN, IBA,and NAA) i use ppm, a preservative....descriptions for their intent is on google. i pre mix mine to 1 mg/ml concentration, or buy them that way if it's cheaper for you.they are incredibly expensive pure. keep in mind a couple drops of that 1mg/ml will show results in a 1 liter mix of sugar,gel,nutes,water. less is better than more, always. scalpels, tweezers, hand held microscope maybe. paper towels. sterilize it all in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes highest pressure. always let it cool for many hours before opening. sterile protocols apply hereafter. many auxins, cytokins acids, bacteria, etc are available to express cells in various ways. every single one is explained in great detail in the links provided.

I am getting familiar with suspension tissue culture now. this is a procedure that involves suspending a tissue above the mix, rather than in it, draining,adding a new mix, all without a transfer. saving bucks and time. much more involved, but super cool.