Good Morning Mi Mmj Community

dpg710

Good morning. I have recently moved to the U.P and would like to get to know some other members of the local community. I have moved here from Washington state, which brings me to my first question. I was under the impression that MI offered reciprocity for recommendations from other states including Washington for a period of 30 days, to allow me to either get on MI program or go back to my home state (not happening) Is this correct still? I know that many laws have been changed up here recently and do not want to do anything to put myself or my family in legal trouble. Which brings me to my second question, if my WA recommendation is still valid here for the 30 days how in the world am I to go about obtaining meds? I have not seen one collective up here where I am at (Marquette area) and the caregiver/patient thing seems slightly confusing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be highly appreciative.

Also if there are any other people around that want to meet up and get to know each other I am always up to make new friends. I am in my late 30's, married, and have been involved with MMJ since 98. I truly love this plant for what it can do and love the true community behind it. Part of why we left Washington is because of the corporatization of cannabis there and the government looking to use the tax revenue as an emergency bailout that they can mismanage even more. From what i have seen so far up here the patient comes first and profits come last if at all. Anyway i will close this long intro up and hope to meet/talk with some of you soon.

Welcome.

I wouldn't count on that Washington card for much. A Michigan prosecutor might want to challenge it and that would mean time in court, at least.

Your best bet would be to get all your medical records together from the past 3 years and get a solid Michigan recommendation. Grow your own if you can possibly do it. That's the 'Little Piece Of Heaven' here, 12 plants.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't planning on counting on it for much just basically was going to want to use it until I could get my MI paperwork going as I understand that it does take quite a bit of time for things to get approved up here and really do not want to run out of meds before that happens. The thought of going back to pharmaceuticals is not something I even want to consider. As far as growing goes I was already planning on it, but again I have anywhere from a 7 week to 15 week delay depending on strain, from seed, or from clone, before I would have my own again, so wind up back in that same spot. I did bring some nice genetics with me, but do not want to do anything with them until I get all paperwork in order.

Sounds like best bet is to find a Dr this week and get that going ASAP.

Thanks again, oh yeah what's the hash bash in Ann Arbor like? Worth the drive?

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't planning on counting on it for much just basically was going to want to use it until I could get my MI paperwork going as I understand that it does take quite a bit of time for things to get approved up here and really do not want to run out of meds before that happens. The thought of going back to pharmaceuticals is not something I even want to consider. As far as growing goes I was already planning on it, but again I have anywhere from a 7 week to 15 week delay depending on strain, from seed, or from clone, before I would have my own again, so wind up back in that same spot. I did bring some nice genetics with me, but do not want to do anything with them until I get all paperwork in order.

Sounds like best bet is to find a Dr this week and get that going ASAP.

Thanks again, oh yeah what's the hash bash in Ann Arbor like? Worth the drive?

The Hash Bash is always awesome the first time you go. I like to take folks that have never seen it.

Back when we first were medical, before the forms came out, I had a laminated doctor rec that made me feel better about growing. Assess your risk and go from there. Penalties are lessening and a two year card is killer.

hash bash : a couple speeches and a lot of people smoking on school grounds which is a bigger crime than if you smoke outside of school grounds, like on the street that has the cannabis market/fair going on the same time.

lasts about an hour or so and then everyone walks to the fair.

the campus police harass and arrest people.

its an interesting thing anyway. lots of friendly people just chillin, playin hackey sack.

as for your dr rec from washington, it should be as good as a card here. thats what the law says.

i recommend you ask people ahead of time if they'll take that documentation , i'm guessing some people will discriminate.

the law says other states cards are as good as cards here.

except the supreme court bozos here have said you can only transfer to a connected patient in the registry.

so how do you register a visiting patient with LARA ? 

i think eventually patient to patient transfers will be reheard by the supreme court and they will fix this issue.

as for your dr rec from washington, it should be as good as a card here. thats what the law says.

i recommend you ask people ahead of time if they'll take that documentation , i'm guessing some people will discriminate.

the law says other states cards are as good as cards here.

except the supreme court bozos here have said you can only transfer to a connected patient in the registry.

so how do you register a visiting patient with LARA ? 

i think eventually patient to patient transfers will be reheard by the supreme court and they will fix this issue.

Actually, pt to pt transfers would need an ammendment to be legal. It's already written if you want to try to swing it. lol Been selling that since early '09.

Thanks for advice Bobandtorey, however I wouldn't be going there in an attempt to score, but rather to see the activism up here.

Christinew I am near the Marquette area, been here a week and am completely awestruck by this area. As crazy as it may sound we literally moved here sight unseen. So everything is very new (and a little confusing/scary) but it's an awesome adventure.

Welcome!

I find your comment about the commercialization in Wa being a (one of?) reason

to relocate here.  With the passage of SB0660,  myself and others feel that will

possibly happen here in time also.  We are fighting to retain our personal grow

rights as it is a common thought that 'they' are gunning to take that right from us.

I hope you join the fight :)

Get your med records and go to a REPUTABLE certification doctor/ clinic asap.

If you have not received a denial letter in 15 days, your paper work serves as if

it were a hard card after 20 days (day 21 you are legal). 

Plastic cards are arriving in about 30 days now. 

You can find most of what you need to know about the program and the law here:

https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869---,00.html

Again, welcome and best to you and yours

Thought you might enjoy this dpg,

LOL, reminds me of when I was a kid in Oregon, we did a sweat on the reservation sweat lodge (now thats some trippy stuff right there, sweating for hours with a medicine man chanting strange things over and over) then jumped into the mountain river. No where near as cold as up here though man. You all are crazy up here :)

Welcome!

I find your comment about the commercialization in Wa being a (one of?) reason

to relocate here.  With the passage of SB0660,  myself and others feel that will

possibly happen here in time also.  We are fighting to retain our personal grow

rights as it is a common thought that 'they' are gunning to take that right from us.

I hope you join the fight :)

Get your med records and go to a REPUTABLE certification doctor/ clinic asap.

If you have not received a denial letter in 15 days, your paper work serves as if

it were a hard card after 20 days (day 21 you are legal).

Plastic cards are arriving in about 30 days now. 

You can find most of what you need to know about the program and the law here:

https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63303_51869---,00.html

Again, welcome and best to you and yours

Thank you for the link, I definitely appreciate it. 

I am not sure I am understanding your reply, I believe you are saying that you find my reason questionable. If that is the case, let me try to clarify, while I have no problem with people attempting to profit from cannabis, I do have a problem when it is done under the guise of "medical" but is serving a recreational market, and business model.

Washington states medical laws have been flawed from the beginning, and allowed for a unregulated market to pop up (similar to California), while this was good for the patient by allowing access, it also was good for organized criminals, corporations, and con artists to make tremendous profits. With the passage of I502 (the recreational law and taxes attached) it created a major problem for the state. How could a recreational model, that by the time it got to the consumer was taxed at 75% be successful, when you had an unregulated tax free medical market competing? The answer is you can't. So now the state is basically taking away medical access, by doing away with collective gardens, lowering plant counts, and lowering possession limits. Additionally the state is also saying that the only people to provide medical cannabis will be those with recreational licensure.

Which brings me to the corporatization (not commercialization, two vastly different concepts) statement, I have witnessed first hand massive corporations with deep pockets get guarantees from the state that they would get licensed, while small operations were denied for a lack of assets, I have also seen and know of many cases where the people getting licensed are funded by less then reputable people, and again the people that tried to do things right all along, are getting or going to get shut down.

I could go on and on about it, but after watching the decay of a community that I grew to love, and watching people be more about the money then the love of our fellow mankind, I decided I did not want to be a part of it any longer. I have close friends up here, and wanted a chance to be around more honest type people, or maybe just those that hold similar values regarding cannabis.  

I hope that answered your question regarding my motives, as I have none but to go back to a simpler way of life, where I can trust that the person I am talking with isn't trying to take advantage of me, lie to me, or steal from me. I would like to get involved in the activism up here, I do believe there is a balance that can be attained, where the patient has safe access, and caregivers/providers aren't expected to take a loss. 

Thank you for the link, I definitely appreciate it. 

I am not sure I am understanding your reply, I believe you are saying that you find my reason questionable. If that is the case, let me try to clarify, while I have no problem with people attempting to profit from cannabis, I do have a problem when it is done under the guise of "medical" but is serving a recreational market, and business model.

Washington states medical laws have been flawed from the beginning, and allowed for a unregulated market to pop up (similar to California), while this was good for the patient by allowing access, it also was good for organized criminals, corporations, and con artists to make tremendous profits. With the passage of I502 (the recreational law and taxes attached) it created a major problem for the state. How could a recreational model, that by the time it got to the consumer was taxed at 75% be successful, when you had an unregulated tax free medical market competing? The answer is you can't. So now the state is basically taking away medical access, by doing away with collective gardens, lowering plant counts, and lowering possession limits. Additionally the state is also saying that the only people to provide medical cannabis will be those with recreational licensure.

Which brings me to the corporatization (not commercialization, two vastly different concepts) statement, I have witnessed first hand massive corporations with deep pockets get guarantees from the state that they would get licensed, while small operations were denied for a lack of assets, I have also seen and know of many cases where the people getting licensed are funded by less then reputable people, and again the people that tried to do things right all along, are getting or going to get shut down.

I could go on and on about it, but after watching the decay of a community that I grew to love, and watching people be more about the money then the love of our fellow mankind, I decided I did not want to be a part of it any longer. I have close friends up here, and wanted a chance to be around more honest type people, or maybe just those that hold similar values regarding cannabis.  

I hope that answered your question regarding my motives, as I have none but to go back to a simpler way of life, where I can trust that the person I am talking with isn't trying to take advantage of me, lie to me, or steal from me. I would like to get involved in the activism up here, I do believe there is a balance that can be attained, where the patient has safe access, and caregivers/providers aren't expected to take a loss. 

Oh heavens no!  I was not questioning your reasoning not one iota, I find it very admirable.

I often am not able to covey my thoughts properly in this format. I apologize and will be

more diligent in further communications.

I do understand corporatization vs commercialization just typed the wrong word and didn't

pre edit :(

Thank you for your clarification though :)  From reading your posts thus far, I believe you

have a much better understanding of all this than I.

I was instead  trying to convey to you that we may be (are) facing  the same pack of wolves

at our doors with the swift passage of sb 0660.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/publicact/htm/2013-PA-0268.htm

Welcome to Michigan, you are in Gods country now... enjoy the astounding beauty!

I am a 'troll' which means in MI terms, I reside below the bridge ;)

No worries, I definitely understand that sometimes things aren't conveyed the same way written as they are spoken and I took no offense at all and truly do appreciate the pointers.

Thanks for the lowdown on the lingo around here too, I am sure I sound crazy to most people up here.

call LARA (the govt agency that runs our program) and ask them as a visiting patient, how you are supposed to register to get meds? maybe they have some info for us. heres the telephone numbah. Telephone Number: 517-373-0395

mo info http://michigan.gov/mmp

Thanks tpain I will give them a call tomorrow as I am very curious about this as well, from what I have read so far it sounds like my WA card will only offer me (limited )protection as to possession not transfer. If my interpretation is incorrect or if LARA tells me something additional I will let you all know.

Thanks

Edited by dpg710

Getting ready to call LARA now, but I did find this little gem of info which says to me (and I am no lawyer) but I should have the exact same rights as if I were on the MI program. From http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/lara_MMP_FAQ_6-28-13_426011_7.pdf

Question: I am a valid medical marihuana patient under another state's law. Am I protected? 

Answer: Yes, under Section 4(j) of the MMMA, a registry identification card or its equivalent issued by another 
state government to permit the medical use of marihuana by a qualifying patient or to permit a person to assist
with a qualify patient's medical use of marihuana has the same force and effect as a registry identification card 
issued by the department.

Edit After Calling LARA - 

LOL well that was about as useless of a phone call I have ever had. She referred me to the Medical Marihuana (i have to get used to this prohibitionist era spelling) Act that talks about visiting patients, and then gave me the info to register as a MI patient, said we can not provide any legal advice and my best bet would be to consult an attorney.

Should be an interesting day for me today, think I will be making some phone calls. Thanks again tpain for the links and everyone else for the welcomes :)
Edited by dpg710

I would figure out a way to prove I just got here in Michigan. Maybe a credit card receipt from Washington.

Good idea, and I have plenty of proof to that effect, gas receipts from the trip, hotel receipts, recently signed lease, etc etc. Regardless I will definitely be getting my MI paperwork in order over the next few days, as well as registering the cars and switching the DL's, oh what fun, spending more money, sigh.

Edit After Calling LARA - 

LOL well that was about as useless of a phone call I have ever had. She referred me to the Medical Marihuana (i have to get used to this prohibitionist era spelling) Act that talks about visiting patients, and then gave me the info to register as a MI patient, said we can not provide any legal advice and my best bet would be to consult an attorney.

Should be an interesting day for me today, think I will be making some phone calls. Thanks again tpain for the links and everyone else for the welcomes :)

LOL! well i wanted to make sure you understood how worthless LARA was and to never rely on their sorry asses. welcome to michissippi.