Cannabinoids For Treatment Of Alzheimer's Disease: Moving Towards The Clinic

in vivo

Conclusions and therapeutic implications

Considering the numerous complex pathological mechanisms involved in the
progression of AD, treatments targeting a single causal or modifying factor offer limited
benefit. Cannabinoids, however, exhibit pleiotropic activity, targeting in parallel several
processes that play key roles in AD, including Aβ and tau aberrant processing,
neuroinflammation, excitotoxicity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and oxidative stress.
Cannabinoids improve behavioral disturbances, as well. These effects are summarized
in Figure 1. Then, because of these widespread properties of cannabinoid compounds,
targeting the ECS could represent a unique and reliable opportunity to advance towards
an effective therapy against the AD. Moreover, cannabinoids might represent a safe
low-cost therapy, with their natural origin and low side effects profile. From our point
of view, the success of cannabinoid-based therapy in AD could be increased taking into
account two important aspects: (i) the use of a combination of compounds that cover the
whole spectrum of therapeutic properties described for cannabinoids, i.e. combination
of CB1 and CB2 receptors agonists plus CBD, which presents interesting
neuroprotective properties spite of its mechanism of action remaining poorly
understood, and (ii) the early initiation of the treatment in the neurodegenerative
process, which ensures the integrity of the ECS target components and increases the
possibility of curbing the exponential degenerative progression toward dementia.

http://www.frontiersin.org/Journal/DownloadFile.ashx?pdf=1&FileId=14638&articleId=81375&Version=1&ContentTypeId=58&FileName=Provisional%20PDF.pdf

Other papers of interest:

Points to the role of CB2 in AD.

Honokiol (legal natural cannabinoid) has potential in AD treatment. 

Beta-caryophyllene (full CB2 agonist), echinacea purpurea (CB1 and CB2 agonists), and magnolia officinalis (CB1 and CB2 agonists) are all other natural sources of cannabinoids that can potentially be utilized effectively in the treatment of AD.   

I like the way the forum is being divided into more specific sections. It should make it easier for patients to seek out the information they need. I wish I could move around some of the threads in the science section, but I'll try to keep adding links as time goes by to the appropriate sections.

• 8 months later...

I am in mid stage Alzheimer's and using vaped buds to focus, ease agitation, and for some help against growing inertia. I wonder if the OIL is of any help?

Losing vision too. my caregiver husband is growing for us, his first crop, indoor. Any care givers / providers with results in using cannabis for ALZ - would love advice.

The machines used to determine potency of cannabs - are those available some dispensary? We hope to educate locals in western U.P. about ALZ and cannabis as people do not know what to do for patients anger and fear. They give them anti psychotics which sometimes cause all hell to break loose.

Will ask my husband to join forums. Thanks to all who help us who need the help the medical world has nothing for us.

welcome!

know that when you vaporize dried buds that you are essentially extracting the essential oils, or medically active compounds, and using them to treat your dis ease. Your answer is definitely yes. There's no magic or mystery in using cannabis oil. It takes an ounce of buds to produce a few grams of oil for thought. If vaporizing buds helps you, then so shall the oil that is being vaporized when used by itself. The oil will be of higher "potency" by weight of course, so less of it will be needed.

thanks for joining the forum!

The machines used to determine potency of cannabs - are those available some dispensary? We hope to educate locals in western U.P. about ALZ and cannabis as people do not know what to do for patients anger and fear. They give them anti psychotics which sometimes cause all hell to break loose.

thank you for helping to educate!! its terrible that the burden of educating people falls into the hands of people with debilitating conditions.

i think the machine they use to determine the potency of cannabis is called a gas chromatography machine or the new way to test is with a high performance liquid chromatography machine , more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-performance_liquid_chromatography .

most dispensaries do not have such a machine, but they send samples to labs within the state to get results.

ironlabs testing is still around, http://www.ironlabsllc.co/

i guess there is a portable machine called the QuantaCann which can do faster/cheaper but more inaccurate results.

because of the way the law has been interpreted , some of the lab testing companies shut down or went member only. because the supreme court ruled that you couldnt transfer marihuana between patients...

there was northern labs but i think they closed

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2011-09-06/medical-marijuana_30121082

good luck to you , and let us know if we can help.

i'm not sure if there are any compassion clubs still operating in the UP. but if there are and you are close to one, its an easy way to meet other patients and caregivers in person to chat with.