Drugged Drivers Face Tougher Penalties Under New Legislation

LANSING (WWJ/AP) - Drugged drivers are targeted in new legislation that would require immediate jail time for repeat offenders.

Republican Rep. Dan Lauwers of Brockway introduced the three-bill package on drugged driving earlier this week. The legislation would place a conditional bond on

people arrested for drugged driving and mandate a temporary license for drivers who fail a roadside chemical sobriety test.

Lauwers said the bills would improve law enforcement records on defendants by letting officials enter a pending chemical analysis into the Law Enforcement Information

Network.

“The growing incidents of drugged driving represents a clear and present danger to all Michigan residents, and immediate reforms are needed to help curb this ongoing

threat,” Lauwers said in a statement. “Unlike drunken drivers, drugged drivers are currently able to avoid real punishment and stay behind the wheel longer, with often

tragic results.”

Lauwers pointed to a recent case involving two young men who were killed in a crash with a woman who was driving under the influence of prescription pills. Witnesses

testified that the vehicle driven by 30-year-old Lisa Bergman crossed the center line, causing the collision.

St. Clair County Sheriff’s Deputy Nicholas Singleton said in his testimony that Bergman “was one of the most impaired people I have ever seen operating a vehicle.” A

Michigan State Police toxicology report later showed that Bergman’s blood tested positive for Oxycontin and Soma, narcotic pain killers, as well as alcohol.

Lauwers said Bergman had been pulled over six times since 2008 for operating under the influence of drugs, and at the time of the accident she had two pending cases. 

She was sentenced earlier this month to spend 25 to 50 years in prison.

“This terrible tragedy exposed the many gaps in current law as well as some practices that needed immediate attention,” he said. ”The significant backlog with the

Michigan State Police Crime Lab has improved but we still need to fix the glaring gaps in state law that contributed to this horrific crash.  Our hope now is to spare other

Michigan families from the senseless tragedy of losing a loved one due to repeat drugged drivers.”

Michigan had the 12th highest rate of drugged drivers in the country from 2006-2009, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.  Fatal

crashes involving marijuana use tripled nationally during the previous decade, according to Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.  Marijuana use alone

contributed to 12 percent of 2010 crashes, representing a 300-percent increase compared to 1999.

“Drugged driving has quickly become a major public safety issue, and at the very least needs to be treated with the same seriousness as drunken driving,” Lauwers said. 

“This legislation is a genuine step toward better protecting the people of Michigan.”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/08/drugged-drivers-face-tougher-penalties-under-new-legislation/

what kind of chemical sobriety test do they have for soma and oxy ?

I think they use your eyes to check if you are taking any kind of Drug's they are doing the same in Co. stepping up and informing tourist that come and use Cannabis and drive around in your rental Car you will need to see a judge before you leave for home

I would have to think that drugged driving has been a problem about as long a drunk driving has been.  I dont think It is coincedence that mmj users and the mm law have brough this on, But we have to remember, most of us were on and still are on some pretty heavy narcotics prescribed by your dr. or friend for cash!

Im just saying how mj effects me while driving, I believe I can drive very good and will pass all road subrioty tests and of course the breathalizer!  The only problem I have had was I do get tired and seem to get that road trance going!

When I drove on my normal dose of narcos and other rx's my dr's have prescribed, I have fallen asleep at the wheel, I have had many close calls and I know I had absolutly no biz on the road,  Totaly my fault I dont work and have to realy be any where but the school for the kids and its 2 miles from home for me.

Bottom line is I dont realy beleive mmj is no where near the threat of alcohol, narcotics, even some of the less potent pain pills, but I dont beleive that anything that alters your thinking or slows your responses while driving should be out right legal,,,,mmj should not be treated the same as alcohol and heavy rx's in the court rooms!

Personaly I would rather drive behind a car full of folks smoking mj than a car of people drinking!

Peace

Edited by phaquetoo

LANSING (WWJ/AP) - Drugged drivers are targeted in new legislation that would require immediate jail time for repeat offenders.

Fatal crashes involving marijuana use tripled nationally during the previous decade, according to Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. 

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/08/drugged-drivers-face-tougher-penalties-under-new-legislation/

This says "involving" which leads me to believe they are again misleading the public.

This says "involving" which leads me to believe they are again misleading the public.

Exactly because THC was found in the drunk persons blood that obviously was the cause not the 24 drinks they were served at a local tavern this is just more nonsensical Republican overreaching to further criminalize cannabis in the state of Michigan

If you are a legit medical card holder and not consuming in your vehicle you should be fine. The Michigan Supreme Court is already on your side if you are not impaired. The simple presence of Cannabis in ones system isn't probable cause to detain a patient under Michigan law. That is what I got out of it. Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.     http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/michigan-marijuana-driving-supreme-court-dui_n_3320216.html

Republican Rep. Dan Lauwers of Brockway introduced the three-bill package on drugged driving earlier this week. The legislation would place a conditional bond on

people arrested for drugged driving and mandate a temporary license for drivers who fail a roadside chemical sobriety test.

Lauwers said the bills would improve law enforcement records on defendants by letting officials enter a pending chemical analysis into the Law Enforcement Information

Network.

“The growing incidents of drugged driving represents a clear and present danger to all Michigan residents, and immediate reforms are needed to help curb this ongoing

threat,” Lauwers said in a statement. “Unlike drunken drivers, drugged drivers are currently able to avoid real punishment and stay behind the wheel longer, with often

tragic results.”

Lauwers pointed to a recent case involving two young men who were killed in a crash with a woman who was driving under the influence of prescription pills. Witnesses

testified that the vehicle driven by 30-year-old Lisa Bergman crossed the center line, causing the collision.

St. Clair County Sheriff’s Deputy Nicholas Singleton said in his testimony that Bergman “was one of the most impaired people I have ever seen operating a vehicle.” A

Michigan State Police toxicology report later showed that Bergman’s blood tested positive for Oxycontin and Soma, narcotic pain killers, as well as alcohol.

Lauwers said Bergman had been pulled over six times since 2008 for operating under the influence of drugs, and at the time of the accident she had two pending cases. 

She was sentenced earlier this month to spend 25 to 50 years in prison.

“This terrible tragedy exposed the many gaps in current law as well as some practices that needed immediate attention,” he said. ”The significant backlog with the

Michigan State Police Crime Lab has improved but we still need to fix the glaring gaps in state law that contributed to this horrific crash.  Our hope now is to spare other

Michigan families from the senseless tragedy of losing a loved one due to repeat drugged drivers.”

Michigan had the 12th highest rate of drugged drivers in the country from 2006-2009, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.  Fatal

crashes involving marijuana use tripled nationally during the previous decade, according to Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.  Marijuana use alone

contributed to 12 percent of 2010 crashes, representing a 300-percent increase compared to 1999.

“Drugged driving has quickly become a major public safety issue, and at the very least needs to be treated with the same seriousness as drunken driving,” Lauwers said. 

“This legislation is a genuine step toward better protecting the people of Michigan.”

Edited by ThespiritofEliyahu

For example, Washington has set a legal limit for the blood concentration of THC at 5 ng/ml. See Wash Rev Code 46.61.502(1)(b). Notably, defendant’s THC level was 10 ng/ml.

22 While neither party raised the issue, we conclude that the MMMA’s enactment without republishing MCL 257.625(8) did not run afoul of Const 1963, art 4, § 25, which states 

So his level was 10ng even after he said he used 4-5 hours before diving i think Lansing maybe trying to fix that and we all know it won't help the sick people

It once took me 90 days to get thc out of my body, I was in a program and did not use, I had to be tested every week in the program, it honestly took 90 days before there was no sign of mj in my urine screens! at the time I was at my heavy weight fighting weight lol...6ft and 238 lbs!

The program I was in was not court ordered, it was something I was doing to save my 1st marriage (what a waiste of time lol)

So yea they most def need something that can tell when you last used, or we can get drugged driving weeks after we used, just saying, I dont go weeks w/o but I do wait until i get home if I have things to do!

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

It almost always comes down to, how you are perceived by the LEO when he looks you in the eye. If you can speak normally with some intelligence and do not appear impaired, you most likely won't get hauled to the hospital for a drug test (assuming you were NOT pulled over for weaving all over and driving dangerously or involved in an accident).

The guy (or girl) who drives a clean, well maintained, not stinky car, who dresses, talks and looks normal will usually get a pass (even if they are high). The dirty unmaintained cars with the long hairs and bumper stickers and the people who talk funny and look funny, will not get a break (even if they are completely sober).

Not fair, I know. But that is reality. Perception is everything. Justice should be blind but it usually is not.

For example, Washington has set a legal limit for the blood concentration of THC at 5 ng/ml. See Wash Rev Code 46.61.502(1)(b). Notably, defendant’s THC level was 10 ng/ml.

22 While neither party raised the issue, we conclude that the MMMA’s enactment without republishing MCL 257.625(8) did not run afoul of Const 1963, art 4, § 25, which states 

So his level was 10ng even after he said he used 4-5 hours before diving i think Lansing maybe trying to fix that and we all know it won't help the sick people

I wonder how many politicians are popping oxci's and xanny's all day to get thru their long day of ripping off the people that voted for them?

They dont even consider morphine patches or vicodens or anything but mmj, many many things are more dangerious to be driving on,,man I can just see some one abusing their narco's doing the headbob while driving!

Im not even saying we should be able to smoke and drive but why do we get treated differently than people with real rx adictions?

Peace

I wonder how many politicians are popping oxci's and xanny's all day to get thru their long day of ripping off the people that voted for them?

They dont even consider morphine patches or vicodens or anything but mmj, many many things are more dangerious to be driving on,,man I can just see some one abusing their narco's doing the headbob while driving!

Im not even saying we should be able to smoke and drive but why do we get treated differently than people with real rx adictions?

Peace

Thanks Jim  i'am glad you and i can see the differences in RX and cannabis heard bobbing some  may call Noning out

I can hardly begin to tell you the number of times I've been pulled over or engaged in a conversation with a police officer in public and they had no idea. I make it a point to say hi to them, especially when I'm toasted. They are clueless imbeciles.