Need Help Selecting A Ballast?

AbominableDro-Man

So I find myself needing a little help selecting a ballast, I want one that will work well and do its' job as a ballast, though respectably I don't want to absolutely drain my bank account in obtaining one. I'm looking for a 1000 watt ballast of some variety, it just has to be able to run/use 1000 watt Hortilux Super Spectrum Hps's.

Anyone have any particular suggestions?

I buy nearly all my supplies from the Cali.  No tax and no shipping plus regular discount offers.  I bought this ballast back in Sept. for less than $100.  No problems with it other than it weights a lot more than an electronic one.  

http://www.hydrogalaxy.com/growing-lights/ballasts/sun-system-hardcore-hps-mh-1000-watt-120-240-volt/

All of the prices on that site seem a little too good to be true Semi, that seems to be where I'm getting a little hung up. I've just never run cross that particular site after the now countless hours I've been searching around for supplies. Has anyone else ordered from Hydrogalaxy by chance? They have a couple of things that I haven't seen anywhere else at for the prices they say and I just wanted to see if I could get a quick second confirmation in regards to legitimacy of the site itself? Not that I'm overly doubtful, just very skeptical on the internet.

Edited by Comfortably_Numb

Just a quick follow up.  I have been buying from HydroGalaxy for two years now.  They took care of a warranty problem for me and their prices are all exactly what they say, plus they usually run some special for 5% off.  The only downside to them is turnaround.  They seem to take a week to fulfill an order.  I have come to accept that and just order accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

You'd be surprised at the discounts you get from local retailers if you ask them to price match. I prefer to buy locally when I can, and this makes returns much easier. I tend to like magnetic ballasts. The core almost never wears out. Most issues can be fixed for a $20 igniter or capacitor, and diagnosis/ repair is easy.

I'm not so sure the local shops would have been willing to price match so much. The shop nearby had wanted over 350 for the same tent I got from these guys (A Growlab 145) for 200. Sure, I'm sure it couldn't have hurt to ask, but I just didn't see it happening with the amount of equipment I ended up purchasing in the end. 

Had a difficult time finding a product that both stores carried. I know it doesn't say it on the site currently, but wholesalegardeningcenter sells the Undercurrent 4 pot system for 799 flat, while I realize that the fifty bucks isn't a huge triumph in the saving money area, it was worth the trip down there. I know that HTG has a shop up in TC, was there the other day. It's too bad that they don't carry 8 and 13 gallon square buckets or I'd have been able to just get stuff through there.

Oh, and I get my 1000 watt Hortilux bulbs for $70 instead of the $130 charged at htg by going to wgc.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

I'll even pull up a receipt and scan it in. Read the very bottom of the receipt even. Horti 1k's, 68.99 all day, every day. -to be put up in an edit-  couldn't get the scanner to do its scanning thing, so i opted to just take a picture of it lol. The receipt has what I paid there for everything. Feel free to cross ref. the web on prices.

post-33696-0-29366800-1397183502_thumb.jpg

post-33696-0-39428400-1397186255_thumb.jpg

Edited by AbominableDro-Man