Tents And Nutrients?

AbominableDro-Man

If you had paid attention, I never stated that the synthetic product was better, I asked Grass what the difference in outcome was in variation of use between organic and synthetic and their respective end products.

Everyone on this board that has been reading my posts KNOWS that I've never grown before, furthermore, from that it's fairly easy to surmise that I also know next to nothing about what nutrients to ACTUALLY use, thus all of my question asking. Quit pointing fingers and being a butt in my general direction for no reason.

Graded on a curve I haven't really been that buttish tonight.

Just tryin to help you out there bro. The outcome is significant in all aspects....no kidding

I like the do it right attitude. Thought I would shoot you to the head of the class

Hoping soon we can compare more tha notes....make you a believer

DIRT, its Back To the Future

Edited by beourbud

To be perfectly honest, and this is why I asked grass because I knew he was an org grower (didn't know who else was, but it's all good), I've not seen hardly near half as many plants (YET...) grown in soil vs hydro..which is to say, the only time I've seen a plant grown in dirt that outdid a dwc system, it was because it was planted outside and looked like a tree with a fence around it.

To be perfectly honest, and this is why I asked grass because I knew he was an org grower (didn't know who else was, but it's all good), I've not seen hardly near half as many plants (YET...) grown in soil vs hydro..which is to say, the only time I've seen a plant grown in dirt that outdid a dwc system, it was because it was planted outside and looked like a tree with a fence around it.

Well, what we have here is a severe case of underexposure. We got Meds for that.

Oh, don't worry grass will be back with a nine page cut and paste with pics and diagrams

I understand every situation is dif and that dictates wat type of op you run, but if quality is the objective

Edited by beourbud

When I said I was brand new to this, I was pretty serious. I've never grown, and until I was 21 I had never tried marijuana, I had actually been VERY anti-cannabis for my entire life prior to the events that changed it even.

Now, I don't think I can ever look at pills again.

Edited by Comfortably_Numb

So , My Meds ( Sun Grown Natural Organic ) ....They get up at 05:00 bike 14 mles, stop at jamba juice at 07:15, swing by the batting cages till 09:00, 20 laps in the pool before hitting the sauna. Light lunch , off to visit clients to 19.30. Dinner and a movie.

Soilless Meds (soulless).........ICU, comatose, IV drip, feeding tube

Edited by beourbud

That's an...interesting comparison. I tried to view the soilless plants as...more of a Steve Rogers kinda thing..

I couldn't grow outside though, don't have the sort of land for that really.

Steve Rogers is Captain America. He was a scrawny kid, kinda weak and puny and pathetic..until science came along and changed his life, turning him into a super soldier.

At that point, it becomes a larger scale grow...I'm only going to be using my 12 plants. No reason to set up an entire greenhouse and such just for that when I can build a nice little hydro shed. Rather, pay for the service of having it done. Regardless, it'll be done. Which is the part I look forward to.

Anyone using DWC should be prepared to take the time to convert to RDWC and buy a chiller on a moment's notice.  If your nute temps get over about 70F you are at extreme risk for root rot.  Once temps get up, time is limited.

Also, in addition to your nutes/additives, and probably even more important, is to add some kind of an enzyme like sesizyme or hygrozyme.  This helps the beneficial bacterial break down organic matter in the water and helps keep the bad bacteria at bay.

I've been lobbing around the idea of an RDWC system as opposed to the simple 1 bucket models, I'd rather do it right the first time so that I don't have to scramble to change out systems, parts, etc. Grass, I read the topic that you posted on Hydro salts vs orgs and it was interesting, I think to be perfectly honest, the reason I'm doing hydro is that it seems to be less of a mess and take up less room. Eventually I'd like to get into a more organic grow. I think it's all the dirt/mud that gets everywhere with the soil plants that I don't like. Otherwise it'd be a viable option for me. Now, if there are ways to plant these girls into something like that but not have to use dirt and such, that's good by me. 

It's entirely possible that before I get the system itself figured out I'll have changed to soil/org.

I'd klike to grow using organics in Hydro in the end. That seems like a viable mixed option

the only way I was able to accomplish a truly organic hydroponic garden was to use thousands of tilapia (in a 1300 gallon tank)  with three 4x8x24 gravel beds as a flood and drain system. The tilapia grew most of their own food as sweet potato greens, able to sustain their life. I started with 5000 tilapia and learned countless ways to kill the fish, before harvest around 500 2 pound packs of filet, my first time around. I don't kill them anymore, and raise them in a purposed pond outdoors, no hydro, I wish !

I did it indoors in a heated greenhouse, and also in my grow room with less fish to test the tilapia excrement growing marijuana....Success !!

I'll sell ya some tilapia bunny muffin if you want......lol

the only way I was able to accomplish a truly organic hydroponic garden was to use thousands of tilapia (in a 1300 gallon tank)  with three 4x8x24 gravel beds as a flood and drain system. The tilapia grew most of their own food as sweet potato greens, able to sustain their life. I started with 5000 tilapia and learned countless ways to kill the fish, before harvest around 500 2 pound packs of filet, my first time around. I don't kill them anymore, and raise them in a purposed pond outdoors, no hydro, I wish !

I did it indoors in a heated greenhouse, and also in my grow room with less fish to test the tilapia excrement growing marijuana....Success !!

I'll sell ya some tilapia bunny muffin if you want......lol

I have looked deeply into using tilapia but from what I can gather, if you have high enough phosphorous to grow flowering plants, there is too much phosphorus for the talapia.  How did that work out for you?

I've been lobbing around the idea of an RDWC system as opposed to the simple 1 bucket models, I'd rather do it right the first time so that I don't have to scramble to change out systems, parts, etc. Grass, I read the topic that you posted on Hydro salts vs orgs and it was interesting, I think to be perfectly honest, the reason I'm doing hydro is that it seems to be less of a mess and take up less room. Eventually I'd like to get into a more organic grow. I think it's all the dirt/mud that gets everywhere with the soil plants that I don't like. Otherwise it'd be a viable option for me. Now, if there are ways to plant these girls into something like that but not have to use dirt and such, that's good by me. 

It's entirely possible that before I get the system itself figured out I'll have changed to soil/org.

I'd klike to grow using organics in Hydro in the end. That seems like a viable mixed option

The reason I prefer RDWC is that once you get your system dialed in, there isn't a lot of fuss.  No carrying bags of dirt, getting rid of used dirt, sweeping up dirt, etc. 

I have two 55-gallon barrels I mix the nutes in when it is time for a new batch.  I have three "loops" of buckets interconnected...one loop for veg and two for flower.  I use the "Lucas formula," GH nutes....4ml of micro and 8 of bloom per gallon of water.  My buckets are connected using 1-inch lines.  Don't skimp and go with the 1/2" or 3/4" lines.  You'll only want to upgrade later.  Well, maybe for your 12 plants, the slower moving water would be OK - so maybe 1/2" would do it.

What I like about RDWC is that it seems that plants take what they need.  So you run lower concentrations of nutes and circulate the nutes among your plants...each takes what it needs as the water passes by.  Then I flush in plain water for 2 sometimes 3 weeks

Honestly though, if I were to just grow 12 plants for myself, I can't see how investing in the meters,a  chiller, tubes, airstones, pumps, etc etc. is worth it.  I'd just run a simple soil grow and call it good.  The amount of effort and expense to set up and dial in a DWC/RDWC grow for 12 plants is overkill IMHO.

Think about splitting it up.  I have done this before....running DWC in veg, then transplanting into soil about a week before flower.  I had great results with that too.  Then when you put the plant in flower, it has completely fresh soil and you're unlikely to need to fertilize in the flowering period.

The reason I prefer RDWC is that once you get your system dialed in, there isn't a lot of fuss.  No carrying bags of dirt, getting rid of used dirt, sweeping up dirt, etc. 

I have two 55-gallon barrels I mix the nutes in when it is time for a new batch.  I have three "loops" of buckets interconnected...one loop for veg and two for flower.  I use the "Lucas formula," GH nutes....4ml of micro and 8 of bloom per gallon of water.  My buckets are connected using 1-inch lines.  Don't skimp and go with the 1/2" or 3/4" lines.  You'll only want to upgrade later.  Well, maybe for your 12 plants, the slower moving water would be OK - so maybe 1/2" would do it.

What I like about RDWC is that it seems that plants take what they need.  So you run lower concentrations of nutes and circulate the nutes among your plants...each takes what it needs as the water passes by.  Then I flush in plain water for 2 sometimes 3 weeks

Honestly though, if I were to just grow 12 plants for myself, I can't see how investing in the meters,a  chiller, tubes, airstones, pumps, etc etc. is worth it.  I'd just run a simple soil grow and call it good.  The amount of effort and expense to set up and dial in a DWC/RDWC grow for 12 plants is overkill IMHO.

Think about splitting it up.  I have done this before....running DWC in veg, then transplanting into soil about a week before flower.  I had great results with that too.  Then when you put the plant in flower, it has completely fresh soil and you're unlikely to need to fertilize in the flowering period.

This is my favorite idea. Vegging plants in hydro, then switching them into soil for flowering, I had actually asked Grass about this in one of his posts earlier to find out if it was possible. I wont lie, I'm now heavily weighing this option.

But then...what do I do about nutrients and such?

compared to the bottled hydro it was slower growth, compared to the soil it grew at the same rate. This was a precursor to using them in a tomato factory, for off taste. I found none, and have none in my tomatoes either.

There very well may have been a phospo deficiency, but nothing reported to my eye or taste. I ran this same system with thousands of goldfish and clams for years before making the change. With the goldfish I could grow tomato plants 6 feet high with dozens of successful fruitings, and cannabis with no issues. I was working up to tilapia. I added more beds, peppers, a full herb garden table, and an algae grow out tray for supplemental feed. Without fish the plants would die, and vice versa.

best way to begin is to grab a hundred goldfish at the pet store, put them in a normal running fish tank of sorts, and use their recirc water to grow some plants above.

I did see new pests in the substrate, wormy things, but they were breaking down poop for the plants, so no worries for me.

I have looked deeply into using tilapia but from what I can gather, if you have high enough phosphorous to grow flowering plants, there is too much phosphorus for the talapia.  How did that work out for you?

compared to the bottled hydro it was slower growth, compared to the soil it grew at the same rate. This was a precursor to using them in a tomato factory, for off taste. I found none, and have none in my tomatoes either.

There very well may have been a phospo deficiency, but nothing reported to my eye or taste. I ran this same system with thousands of goldfish and clams for years before making the change. With the goldfish I could grow tomato plants 6 feet high with dozens of successful fruitings, and cannabis with no issues. I was working up to tilapia. I added more beds, peppers, a full herb garden table, and an algae grow out tray for supplemental feed. Without fish the plants would die, and vice versa.

best way to begin is to grab a hundred goldfish at the pet store, put them in a normal running fish tank of sorts, and use their recirc water to grow some plants above.

I did see new pests in the substrate, wormy things, but they were breaking down poop for the plants, so no worries for me.

Can you grow the plants in the same container as the fish?  I'm picturing an aquarium with a cover and one or two plants suspended, bare root, into the aquarium.  Or will the fish eat the roots?